Army Veterinary Corps Health Professional Scholarship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you have any information about direct commission after obtaining a DVM?

I would not qualify for the vet corp scholarship if they count undergrad cumulative GPA but I come from a military family and have worked with vets at a military working dog facility and am extremely interested.

You could apply during your last year of Vet School so you would start right after you finish school. We have anywhere from 2-6 slots available per year and it isn't too competitive. You would be eligible for 120K student loan repayment as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I was recently discussing with a colleague in a government agency regarding my interest in food safety/food protection. They suggested looking into this program. Does the army veterinary corp frequently work in this area? I'm estimated to graduate vet school with a substantial amount of debt so I've been researching what programs are within my area of interest to help with the financial burden. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello, I was recently discussing with a colleague in a government agency regarding my interest in food safety/food protection. They suggested looking into this program. Does the army veterinary corp frequently work in this area? I'm estimated to graduate vet school with a substantial amount of debt so I've been researching what programs are within my area of interest to help with the financial burden. Thanks in advance for your input.

Yes, as a veterinarian in the Army you are in charge of your own food inspection team and inspect all food coming onto the base you are assigned. It depends on where you are stationed, for instance the veterinarian at Fort Drum near where I work does 2 days a week food inspection/ 2 days a week clinic / one day a week surgery. The bigger bases with more veterinarians the food inspection mission is split where if you are on a smaller base like Fort Drum it will be a big part of your duties.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could apply during your last year of Vet School so you would start right after you finish school. We have anywhere from 2-6 slots available per year and it isn't too competitive. You would be eligible for 120K student loan repayment as well.

After speaking with my local representative, he informed me that I could join as either the Army (Vet Corp) or Air Force (Public Health Officer) reserves as enlisted or officer while attending veterinary school and then become active upon graduation. He said that my ASVAB scores would ultimately decide my career but if I become active with a DVM that process could be bypassed.

Is that correct information?

Does anyone know how many spots they will have for this year? Do you think there will be more available due to increased military spending by the government?

After speaking with my local representative, he informed me that I could join as either the Army (Vet Corp) or Air Force (Public Health Officer) reserves as enlisted or officer while attending veterinary school and then become active upon graduation. He said that my ASVAB scores would ultimately decide my career but if I become active with a DVM that process could be bypassed.

Did you talk with a Healthcare Recruiter? From what I've been learning that does not sound right.

Did you talk with a Healthcare Recruiter? From what I've been learning that does not sound right.

I spoke with a general officer recruiter for the army and a health care recruiter for the Air Force.

Both my parents are Navy and they told me that didn't sound correct either. I was pretty skeptical when they were telling me about it because there's no information online about that being possible

Does anyone know how many spots they will have for this year? Do you think there will be more available due to increased military spending by the government?

I was wondering how the military spending would affect it, too. I'm betting that it's not going to have an affect on this program for a while since the increased spending is happening so close to the timeframe for this scholarship cycle.

I spoke with a general officer recruiter for the army and a health care recruiter for the Air Force.

Both my parents are Navy and they told me that didn't sound correct either. I was pretty skeptical when they were telling me about it because there's no information online about that being possible

I'm looking at the brochure for the Army Vet Corp right now. The Reserve Vet Corp takes people after they graduate with their degree, not during school. Unless there was some way to join reserves and then transfer to the Vet Corp after, seems like you'd be setting yourself up to get pulled from school if you took that route. Curious to see what @Armyhealth has to say, though!

I want to know more about The U.S. Veterinary Corps. Like will I be deployed and fight or will I stay here on a base, and like what are the chances of me actually getting injured, disabled, or killed? What will I be doing? What are the benefits? How do you get money, like do they pay you?

Yes you can join the Army as vet corp or Air force/Navy as public health, that is about the only part that is correct. If you go the enlisted route then you pick a different job altogether which is not going to help but actually probably hurt you in Vet School because of the time commitment. Pretty much it is Army HPSP if you want to be a veterinarian and want your schooling paid for. Or you join the Navy/Airforce for public health if you want your schooling paid for. All of them are active duty after you finish vet school.

I want to know more about The U.S. Veterinary Corps. Like will I be deployed and fight or will I stay here on a base, and like what are the chances of me actually getting injured, disabled, or killed? What will I be doing? What are the benefits? How do you get money, like do they pay you?
Hopefully you will have some people chime in here. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

What are some things we can do in veterinary school to be competitive to join the army afterwards? Grades? Externships at army facilities?

They just released it a couple days ago, 33 positions.

Was there any other new info released? Had a brief today with recruiters and they said the GPA cut off is 3.25 and the stipend amount is a bit higher (~$2279 I think). Mostly looking to confirm the GPA change. Also stated that you go through DCC in addition to BOLC.

Wow that's definitely not very many at all.. especially if some go to waitlisted applicants. :(

Military order of merit lists are different than normal waitlists. I can't speak exactly for this situation but usually when new applicants are given consideration the ranking is completely reranked. It's not like they are guaranteed to be above you. Individuals are assigned a ranking based on how the board rates them. Using that score they are ranked. So if you score higher than someone , you will be above them even if they were already on it. Again, can't speak for this exact situation but that's how it goes for pretty much every other Army training list.

Everyone has the chance to be deployed. While as a vet you would most likely not be anywhere on the "front line" kicking in doors but danger is a possibility everyone. When I deployed to Bagram air field 2 DoD contractors were killed within a week before we arrived while waiting at a random bus stop on post. Waiting on a bus doing their thing when an incoming rocket just landed on top of them.

For the benefits and pay...well..lets just be real. You're signing a contract to serve your country. It's a huge choice to be making..you should probably take some responsibility and google it yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

@timberwolf89 I think this is discussed on the first page. It's also been discussed on other threads. Use the search function :)

Yes the Army deploys veterinarians. You will be a veterinarian and public health officer, you won't be kicking in doors. There is a chance you would go out the gate to do public health functions but for the most part you will be in a very secure setting. Yes, there is always a chance of being injured, disabled or killed you are joining the Army not the peace corps. You will be paid as a full time employee of the Army and make benefits and pay according to the rank you are. Out of Veterinary school you will be a Captain and earn promotions and pay increases throughout your career just like anyone else. You will have three years of your vet school paid for to include the stipend while in vet school.

Would people who were wait listed last year be considered for these positions?

If you were wait listed for the three year you would have a chance to be selected for the two year. In fact they are no longer allowing anyone new to apply for the 2 year scholarship those positions only go to the wait listed three year applicants.

What are some things we can do in veterinary school to be competitive to join the army afterwards? Grades? Externships at army facilities?

Leadership positions, volunteer work, GPA is very important, Public health work, food inspection hours.

@Baer Not sure on the GPA I have not heard of a GPA increase. I will tell you the mean number of those selected is 3.53 if that helps. Yes the stipend has increased to 2279. Yes you do have to attend the DCC now in Fort Sill. Now they are sending you for that between 1st and 2nd year and BOLC between 2nd and 3rd year. Or if you can't attend BOLC you will do it after you graduate.

Last edited:
@Baer Not sure on the GPA I have heard of a GPA increase. I will tell you the mean number of those selected is 3.53 if that helps. Yes the stipend has increased to 2279. Yes you do have to attend the DCC now in Fort Sill. Now they are sending you for that between 1st and 2nd year and BOLC between 2nd and 3rd year. Or if you can't attend BOLC you will do it after you graduate.

Is the GPA you're citing (for the HPSP) for undergrad or for vet school? My undergrad gpa wasn't too hot (~3.3-3.4, but GRE scores were very solid), though my grades since starting vet school have been pretty high (GPA is currently b/w a 3.7 and 3.8). Is that something that would be taken into account, or is undergrad GPA kind of the be-all-end-all? Also, if I apply for DoD positions after having graduated from vet school, would my undergrad GPA matter at all at that point?

Is the GPA you're citing (for the HPSP) for undergrad or for vet school? My undergrad gpa wasn't too hot (~3.3-3.4, but GRE scores were very solid), though my grades since starting vet school have been pretty high (GPA is currently b/w a 3.7 and 3.8). Is that something that would be taken into account, or is undergrad GPA kind of the be-all-end-all? Also, if I apply for DoD positions after having graduated from vet school, would my undergrad GPA matter at all at that point?

From what I was told it is your GPA at time of application/the board. Most people apply their first semester of vet school so undergrad (or graduate school) is the only GPA they have. If you have vet school they use that as well. Not to sure how they calculate it all though.

No idea about government jobs though.

@Baer Not sure on the GPA I have heard of a GPA increase. I will tell you the mean number of those selected is 3.53 if that helps.

Thank you for providing such information. Is the GPA a hard set requirement or is it something that you can get a wavier for? I understand the competitive aspect, I just want to be able to apply period.

Last edited:

Coming out of Vet school it is based on your vet school GPA and what experiences you had while in Vet school. We load your undergrad transcripts into the record so they can see them but unless your talking sub 3.0 it won't matter.

Because of the competitiveness of this scholarship there is no waivers. You have to have the 3.2 GPA to apply.

So it's 3.2? Either way, when is the application packet due? Can it be completed after we receive grades from the fall semester in December or is that too late?

So it's 3.2? Either way, when is the application packet due? Can it be completed after we receive grades from the fall semester in December or is that too late?

The board is late January so you should have your first semester grades in the packet before the board.

The board is late January so you should have your first semester grades in the packet before the board.

Thank you. Last questions about GPA and I'll stop annoying you about it (at least no one else should have to ask about it). I have transcripts from one school that assigns GPAs differently. To them a B+ is a 3.5 instead most schools ignoring the "+" portion and considering it a 3.0. So when it comes to the packet GPA do they calculate using that 3.5 or would it be 3.0? Surely they have to standardize it some how. As for the vet school grades, how are they viewed? If I have my first semester do I still need undergrad? What happens if my vet school GPA is above the requirement but my undergrad and combined is below the requirement, is that a no go?

Does the GPA vary by recruiting region? From talking to you and 2 other recruiting offices I'm getting 3 different numbers and all are pretty adamant that their GPA is the requirement (getting 3.2, 3.25, and 3.3).

I really appreciate all the effort you're putting into this, it's been a great help.

The letter grades don't really matter what ever they gave you for your cumulative GPA number at the bottom of the transcript is what they will count as the GPA.

How are the GPA's calculated when they come from multiple sources? Do they just do the normal GPA / quality point type thing?

Last edited:
@Baer what year are you in vet school? I thought only people starting their first year in the fall apply for the HPSP?

@Baer what year are you in vet school? I thought only people starting their first year in the fall apply for the HPSP?

It they have 2 year scholarships available and wish to allow people starting their second year to apply, they can. I just don't think that's an option this time around. At least that is my understanding of it.

To answer your question, I'm in the first year. I'm at Mississippi, we started classes June 27th (real classes after orientation stuff).

How are the GPA's calculated when they come from multiple sources? Do they just do the normal GPA / quality point type thing?

Only the GPA from the school that you were awarded your undergrad degree or transfer credits into that degree will count.

Only the GPA from the school that you were awarded your undergrad degree or transfer credits into that degree will count.

So will my vet school GPA be used as well or is the GPA pretty much set in stone at this point? I'm starting to get confused lol

Your undergrad will be used to meet the 3.2 cutoff. The vet school GPA will be used for competitiveness as an applicant but you have to meet the 3.2 first. Hopefully that makes sense haha.

So since my undergrad is under that I can't apply period then? What are the chances of being able to apply for a 2 year scholarship next year?

So since my undergrad is under that I can't apply period then? What are the chances of being able to apply for a 2 year scholarship next year?

As of last year they are not allowing anyone to apply for the two year. They are taking the three year students that were wait listed and offering them the 2 year scholarships instead. I actually put a packet for a two year applicant last year and even sent him to the board and they wouldn't even look at his packet. You can apply your last year for direct position and still get a 120K student loan repayment.

As of last year they are not allowing anyone to apply for the two year. They are taking the three year students that were wait listed and offering them the 2 year scholarships instead. I actually put a packet for a two year applicant last year and even sent him to the board and they wouldn't even look at his packet. You can apply your last year for direct position and still get a 120K student loan repayment.

So could the same be done for me in this situation as far as the packet goes? I'd rather get the packet together and be told no this year with the ability to be considered next year than just flat out being told it isn't happening until I finish vet school.

So could the same be done for me in this situation as far as the packet goes? I'd rather get the packet together and be told no this year with the ability to be considered next year than just flat out being told it isn't happening until I finish vet school.

I doubt you are going to get a recruiter that will agree to work on that packet since there is no mission for the 2 year VC. Never hurts in asking, I tried last year and I wouldn't do it again. Too much work just to tell someone that the board wouldn't even look at them.

I doubt you are going to get a recruiter that will agree to work on that packet since there is no mission for the 2 year VC. Never hurts in asking, I tried last year and I wouldn't do it again. Too much work just to tell someone that the board wouldn't even look at them.

So I wouldn't be able to put it in this year with the intentions of pretty much being on the waitlist for next year?

So I wouldn't be able to put it in this year with the intentions of pretty much being on the waitlist for next year?

No, because you don't meet the GPA cutoff a recruiter is not even allowed to work you for this year.

Does anyone know how the Air Force HPSP scholarship works for DVM's? I am aware that it is a public health position... but, do they pay for all four years of school? and is it a competitive scholarship?

Thanks in advance

I think most of your questions were answered on the first page

It's at most a 3 year scholarship and is extremely competitive

Does anyone know how the Air Force HPSP scholarship works for DVM's? I am aware that it is a public health position... but, do they pay for all four years of school? and is it a competitive scholarship?

Thanks in advance

I have not seen the Air Force recruiter on this site, I would say reach out to your local Air Force Officer recruiter and see what they have to offer.

I think most of your questions were answered on the first page

It's at most a 3 year scholarship and is extremely competitive

I just realized you asked about Air Force and not Army:smack:

I'm in contact with my local HPSP Air Force recruiter. It's competitive and they, same as the army, will only pay for 3 years at maximum.
In 2014 Kansas State had the only 2 acceptances out of 14 total applicants for the program for the year! Here's a quote from that article:
"The scholarship pays tuition for the second, third and fourth year of veterinary school. Each student receives a monthly stipend of $2,200 for books and fees. During summer breaks, the students are on active-duty orders for 30 days. Upon graduating with a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree, the students will be commissioned as captains at the O-3 level, and receive commissioned officer training at Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama. They are obligated to serve three years of active duty and will be stationed according to preference and need."

Most direct commission after obtaining their DVM though. None of the work is with actual animals and is all in the public health sector.

@Armyhealth - I'm currently in the application process and was curious - just how important is my recruiter to this process? My recruiter has not worked with a veterinary student before, although they have worked with other job classifications, and there have been some points we have needed to clarify because the information I found is different than what they are communicating to me. The communication response time is also very slow/inconsistent, and, while we still have time to complete my application packet, overall I'm not very impressed. My parents are both prior military, and keep pushing me to get a new recruiter. However, he's a nice guy and, if it won't have a negative impact, it seems rude to go to another recruiter in the same office.

Last edited:
@Armyhealth - I'm currently in the application process and was curious - just how important is my recruiter to this process? My recruiter has not worked with a veterinary student before, although they have worked with other job classifications, and there have been some points we have needed to clarify because the information I found is different than what they are communicating to me. The communication response time is also very slow/inconsistent, and, while we still have time to complete my application packet, overall I'm not very impressed. My parents are both prior military, and keep pushing me to get a new recruiter. However, he's a nice guy and, if it won't have a negative impact, it seems rude to go to another recruiter in the same office.

A recruiter can have a huge impact, your board is a once a year board so you can't miss that deadline. Will he send your scroll on time? Will he get your physical done on time? Will he go through your LORs and Statement of Motivation and make sure it is up to standard? If you can say yes to those then I think you should be fine. Here is a simple test, ask him when your board is and when the deadline is. If he can't find that simple information then you may be in trouble. PS the answer is board deadline is 9 January and board date is 23 Jan.

@Armyhealth Do you know anything about the veterinary "MSSP" (I think that's what it was) program? Recruiter mentioned that it was the reserve version and that I may be able to do it but they would have to look into it more to find out as they weren't too familiar with it.

@Armyhealth Do you know anything about the veterinary "MSSP" (I think that's what it was) program? Recruiter mentioned that it was the reserve version and that I may be able to do it but they would have to look into it more to find out as they weren't too familiar with it.

Yes, he is talking about the MDSSP medical and dental school scholarship program. It pays a stipend for medical and dental students while in school but does not pay any tuition. This program does not apply to Vet students.

Last edited:
Yes, he is talking about the MDSSP medical and dental school scholarship program. It pays a stipend for medical and dental students while in school but does not pay any tuition. You would serve back the contract time in the Army reserves instead of active duty. Only catch for that one is the contract time is 1 year for every 6 months taken. So 4 years dental school = 8 year Army reserve contract. There is no veterinary option for MDSSP though.

You're such a wealth of information, thank you. Guess I'm just going to come to terms with the fact that direct commission is my only hope :\