ARNG / RC without MDSSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherLawyer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but I am looking for current info and hopefully some regulatory authority to back it up.

I have over eight years of active commissioned service. I do not have any service obligations. What I want is a medical student slot in the Army Reserve or ARNG without any bonus/stipend/etc. and, therefore, without any obligation.

I was recently told by a reserve component AMEDD recruiter that it is simply not possible to get a medical student slot in the Army Reserves without taking MDSSP. Is that correct?

If it is not correct, how can I educate this recruiter?

If it is correct, can I do what I'm trying to do in the ARNG?

I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this has been discussed before, but I am looking for current info and hopefully some regulatory authority to back it up.

I have over eight years of active commissioned service. I do not have any service obligations. What I want is a medical student slot in the Army Reserve or ARNG without any bonus/stipend/etc. and, therefore, without any obligation.

I was recently told by a reserve component AMEDD recruiter that it is simply not possible to get a medical student slot in the Army Reserves without taking MDSSP. Is that correct?

If it is not correct, how can I educate this recruiter?

If it is correct, can I do what I'm trying to do in the ARNG?

I appreciate the help.
You certainly can in the guard, I cannot imagine reserves is different

Med student slots aren’t a competitive thing. Tell the recruiter to fill out the packet

Reactions: 1 user
You certainly can in the guard, I cannot imagine reserves is different

Med student slots aren’t a competitive thing. Tell the recruiter to fill out the packet

Okay, I'll try. Otherwise I'll just do it in the ARNG.

Anyone else have any luck doing this in the Army Reserve?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I'll try. Otherwise I'll just do it in the ARNG.

Anyone else have any luck doing this in the Army Reserve?

I'm in a very similar situation (currently an officer in the irr). Ive tried time and time again to get the med student AOC without the stipend through the reserves and I've had zero luck. The guard said they would take me but I had to submit a packet. Let me know if you get anywhere with the reserves.

No go in the RC. ARNG said they would do it but it sounded pretty shady. What I'm going to do is stay in my current MOS with two years of stabilization. Then move over the MC with MDSSP. This will give me a four year obligation, but that's fine since I'll need four years after residency to get to 20.

No go in the RC. ARNG said they would do it but it sounded pretty shady. What I'm going to do is stay in my current MOS with two years of stabilization. Then move over the MC with MDSSP. This will give me a four year obligation, but that's fine since I'll need four years after residency to get to 20.
I was thinking of doing that as well. I may also wait until after intern year and licensed and see if hrc will switch me over to the field surg aoc.

I was able to get a 00E7 (medical student officer slot) in the ARNG without MDSSP, but I was prior service and already commissioned.