Arnold's bond passes: ARE UC TUITIONS STILL GOING UP!!

supereagles

Spread your wings and fly
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Westside,allright
Status (Visible)
Since's the terminator has finally got off the hook and passed his $15billion bond, are UCs tuition still expected to go up by 40% or has that already taken effect!

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
I hope not, that'll be the worst thing that can happen to people who pay out-of state tuition at the UC (Making it more expensive than a private school!)

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by supereagles
Since's the terminator has finally got off the hook and passed his $15billion bond, are UCs tuition still expected to go up by 40% or has that already taken effect!

I thought part of the gobernator's bond/deficit resolution package was the increase of UC tuition by 40%? So even if the bond passes, that was just part of his master plan to destroy O'Conner, I mean the deficit.

Then again, things could have changed between then and now.

About the Ads

kito

Big Evil
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2002
deep within
Status (Visible)
'When I am through with my term as governor, I will be known not only as the Terminator but as the Collectinator.'

-Arnold "The Governator" Schwarzenegger

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Supereagles,

If UCLA's tuition exceeds like $40,000 (This year it's $27,500/year, but with the potential 40% increase...), you should choose Columbia instead! (I say this even though I'm hoping more people who give up their spots there :()

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2001
La La land, having moved on with life.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Originally posted by supereagles

Yes. He built his budget with the bonds passing already factored into it.

There is even a posibility that it might go up more in future years, because even with the bond he has at least a 4 Billion dollar defecit in the next budget. Donno if he would raise the UC's tuitions some more, but he needs to get the 4B from somewhere.

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
lonecoyote11.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yup, tuition will probably be going up. The bond was only part of the deficit reduction package. Spending cuts are a big part of it too. And the Leg Analyst's Office, whose numbers are considered the most reliable, predicts we already are looking at several billion in deficit for the next fiscal year. So the cycle of budget dysfunction in this state is likely to continue....

beastmaster

15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You guys (ie, policy-makers) in Cali are petrified of spending cuts. I foresee much budget dysfunction in the future.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by CalBeE
Supereagles,

If UCLA's tuition exceeds like $40,000 (This year it's $27,500/year, but with the potential 40% increase...), you should choose Columbia instead! (I say this even though I'm hoping more people who give up their spots there :()

calbs im pretty sure the UC tuition is 14k right now and going up, not 27,500. correct me if im wrong.

snowbear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2003
Nor Cal
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by exmike
calbs im pretty sure the UC tuition is 14k right now and going up, not 27,500. correct me if im wrong.

I think he is referring to out of state tuition.

DrNE1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2004
Status (Visible)
Colorado has, by far, been the most successful dealing with the states' shortfalls.

All they have to do is tap the rockies. Make more brew = more money.

:D

In reality, they have restricted spending increases to within a few percentage points of inflation, as constitutionally required by the state. Since california's budget is so largely dedicated to constitutionally mandated spending and doling out entitlements, its difficult to find areas to cut.

I definitely feel for you guys ...

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
I think the "Required Fee" for UCLA is around $15,XXX last year, and the Out-of state "extra" tuition is $12,XXX last year, so somehow it adds up to $27,500 for out of staters (I got a sheet with the exact tuition figure, but don't have it with me).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.