Arnold's bond passes: ARE UC TUITIONS STILL GOING UP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supereagles

Spread your wings and fly
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Since's the terminator has finally got off the hook and passed his $15billion bond, are UCs tuition still expected to go up by 40% or has that already taken effect!

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope not, that'll be the worst thing that can happen to people who pay out-of state tuition at the UC (Making it more expensive than a private school!)

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by supereagles
Since's the terminator has finally got off the hook and passed his $15billion bond, are UCs tuition still expected to go up by 40% or has that already taken effect!

I thought part of the gobernator's bond/deficit resolution package was the increase of UC tuition by 40%? So even if the bond passes, that was just part of his master plan to destroy O'Conner, I mean the deficit.

Then again, things could have changed between then and now.

kito

Big Evil
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
'When I am through with my term as governor, I will be known not only as the Terminator but as the Collectinator.'

-Arnold "The Governator" Schwarzenegger

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supereagles,

If UCLA's tuition exceeds like $40,000 (This year it's $27,500/year, but with the potential 40% increase...), you should choose Columbia instead! (I say this even though I'm hoping more people who give up their spots there :()

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for an excuse to go to an out of state school, and this is looking to be it.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by supereagles

Yes. He built his budget with the bonds passing already factored into it.

There is even a posibility that it might go up more in future years, because even with the bond he has at least a 4 Billion dollar defecit in the next budget. Donno if he would raise the UC's tuitions some more, but he needs to get the 4B from somewhere.

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yup, tuition will probably be going up. The bond was only part of the deficit reduction package. Spending cuts are a big part of it too. And the Leg Analyst's Office, whose numbers are considered the most reliable, predicts we already are looking at several billion in deficit for the next fiscal year. So the cycle of budget dysfunction in this state is likely to continue....

beastmaster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys (ie, policy-makers) in Cali are petrified of spending cuts. I foresee much budget dysfunction in the future.

exmike

NOR * CAL
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CalBeE
Supereagles,

If UCLA's tuition exceeds like $40,000 (This year it's $27,500/year, but with the potential 40% increase...), you should choose Columbia instead! (I say this even though I'm hoping more people who give up their spots there :()

calbs im pretty sure the UC tuition is 14k right now and going up, not 27,500. correct me if im wrong.

snowbear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by exmike
calbs im pretty sure the UC tuition is 14k right now and going up, not 27,500. correct me if im wrong.

I think he is referring to out of state tuition.

exmike

NOR * CAL
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snowbear
I think he is referring to out of state tuition.

ok that makes sense now.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by exmike

I thought it was 17K. (For med school, in-state)

DrNE1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Colorado has, by far, been the most successful dealing with the states' shortfalls.

All they have to do is tap the rockies. Make more brew = more money.

:D

In reality, they have restricted spending increases to within a few percentage points of inflation, as constitutionally required by the state. Since california's budget is so largely dedicated to constitutionally mandated spending and doling out entitlements, its difficult to find areas to cut.

I definitely feel for you guys ...

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the "Required Fee" for UCLA is around $15,XXX last year, and the Out-of state "extra" tuition is $12,XXX last year, so somehow it adds up to $27,500 for out of staters (I got a sheet with the exact tuition figure, but don't have it with me).