Around 40 and going for an MD-PhD????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fonzy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be applying for 2005 and will be 41 then. I am thinking of MD-PhD [MSTP] as I am research oriented. I hold two MS degrees in engineering [EE, ME, major biomedical engineering] I have done some research work in bio-engineering. I am interested in neuroimaging. I think MSTP will give me opportunity to do research work in this area.
However, MD-PhD takes around 7 yrs.
Is there anyone who is around my age and trying for MSTP?
Do you know of anyone who has started this program around this age?

Your response will really help me.

thanks for the support!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow man that's insane. You will be at least 51, probably older, by the time you're in any sort of career. Check out the over 30 thread, I guess everything in there applies to you as well. I really don't think MD/PhD is for you, as old as you are. However, if you really think hard about it and you really wanna do it, if you have the grad school GPA and MCAT, you could get in somewhere.

Hmmm. Now, I'm all for people chasing their dreams, but... well... perhaps some simple timetables are in order.

7 years for the MD/PhD is if you're lucky, an quick. You could be their for 8, or even 9. (I would avoid programs that take more than 8 1/2 like the plague. And I'm only 23.) So if you're 41 now, you'd be 48. Figure on 3 years (minimum) for a residency... that makes you 51. You want to do a research post-doc? Add on two more years. So you're 53. Do you plan on ever retiring? You would have, at a maximum, a 20 year career.

Put yourself in the shoes of an AdCom. I'm not one for the notion that people lose their spark at a young age, but there does have to be a limit. Considering that the MD/PhD programs want students that will go forth and do great things, you don't have nearly as long a career as a younger person.

If you really want to do research, why nt just go for the PhD? If you aready have 2 MS's, and you're fairly driven, you shold be able to get out in 4. Why slog through the MD anyway?

-Naphtali

Members don't see this ad :)
American to the core. But thank you for asking.

-Naphtali

Because of the word 'slog'???

Well, that word is appropriate here.
Also, America is a country of immigrants.

MD---- as I want to be a radiologist. I have worked in the area of neuro-imaging [engineering part]. Medicine will give me opportunity to serve in health care and do my own research based on cases.

best

Also, America is a country of immigrants.

i'll try to keep that in mind

yeah cuase of slog - i've only heard brits use it (my mum is one). as far as i've ascertained - it isn't crazy to recognize someones nationality from their vernacular ... just a random q.

I say go for it, but only if *you're* absolutely convinced. That's the only way you'll convince anyone during the evaluation process, if you're absolutely sure. I went to a meeting of MDs for work the other month, and one of the presenters got a PhD at the age of 28, worked in neuro research for quite a while, decided the second half of her career should be devoted to clinical, and started on her MD at 42, finished at 27, plus neuro residency after that. And now at 55/60ish she's at the absolute top of her field, and very happy.
~tuck

Well...
I just want to say that... Age is not important...
If you want get you MD/PHD.. Go ahead....
We can everything with god and with our internal power.
So good luck.... Don't give up.

Clarkenti

I'll be 45 when I finish the MD/PhD and I don't give a dam about that!:clap:

Hello,

Thanks for the boost!
So MSTP does admit people around 40...

Could you pl tell me which school you are in, when you started, what MSTP programs look for etc.?
Do you really need to have extraordinary background and 35+ MCAT?

That would be great help.

Thanks

Hi Fonzy:

I'm not yet in an MD/PhD program but I'm being "encouraged to apply" by a few programs that know pretty much everything about me including my age. I'm "officially" applying this summer, but I think the question of where I will attend will be decided in May when I receive my new MCAT scores.

Based on my extensive conversations with program directors and students east of the Mississippi over the past 8 months, I know there are definitely some "old folks" in MSTP programs.

I can also tell you that you definitely need to have an extrodinary background to be admitted although I'd say that's true for medical school in general. As an older applicant with some life experiences, I think by definition most have this requirement met easily. But you also have to have the "traditional stuff" like great EC's, MCAT scores, and MEDICAL volunteer experiences.

As a way to make your application competitive, I highly recommend spending time at the NIH or NCI where I'm currently doing a pre-doctoral fellowship unitl I return to school full-time. Here I am receiving tremendous support for my academic goals DESPITE MY AGE which for me includes research in cancer epidemiology, and most importanly (and most fun) the opportunity to "shadow" an MD/PhD at the clinical center. I attend grand rounds in the pathology department (for obivious reasons) and seminars on medically related topics. These experiences I am sure have greatly contributed to the interest MD/PhD programs have in me.

So it loolks like we "oldies but goodies" have quite a bit of work to do between now and our admission to the MD/PhD program. But so does EVERBODY ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and keep in touch!!!

Just out of curiosity are any of you women, Cuz I personally don't know any woman that doesn't consider age especially in the 40's when applying to an MD/PHD program. I am 24 and I'm starting this year and I already feel like I"m cutting it close.

Hey, Fonzy.

More power to you!

I'll be 37 when I start my DO program this fall. That's the benefit of being older....you have a much clearer objective of what you really want to do with your life coupled with the benefit of experience. I wanted to do this when I was 22 but in all honesty, I couldn't have done it. There was just too much stuff I wanted to get out of my system.

If you're worried about being 51 when you finish, just remember this: if you don't do it, you'll still be 51. Then what?

If you really do have a true passion for this, not just an interest, then I say go for it. Watch out for admissions committees though....contrary to what they say, they are not kind to older applicants. And we're definitely in the minority. Just look at the admissions statistics and the average/high ages. A quick review of this year's MSAR will bear me out on that.

So ace any prerequisite classes you have left and score high on the MCAT and give it all you got!

Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by MD4life
Just out of curiosity are any of you women, Cuz I personally don't know any woman that doesn't consider age especially in the 40's when applying to an MD/PHD program. I am 24 and I'm starting this year and I already feel like I"m cutting it close.

I'm a woman and to be honest, my gender IS NOT a factor anymore in this choice. I wasn't ready (or qualified for that matter) to pursue MD/PhD at 24, but I would be lying if I said I don't get a "second look" when I mention my age AND my career ambition. I ljust ook at it as a job for which I'll be paid very little over the next 7 years or so.

Thanks so much!

I really appreciate the encouragement you have given me. That is the most important thing. Sometimes I do feel that I should have tried when I was 35. However, as Macken put it....no matter what I will still reach 51 [that is if I live that long ;)]

So folks I am gonna put in my best....

My best wishes to all for your dreams.:)

Way to go Fonzy! I totally admire your spirit about this. If you see yourself as a lifelong student, this age thing really doesn't matter. Nothing is a guarantee here on earth, especially time, so do what you want with it.

I cannot tell you the number of interviewers who have commented on how old I will be when I finish a program, and then a residency, and then a post-doc-"you'll be 40, at least, before you are a truly independent researcher."

My response to those people is that I contributed to my field significantly as an undergraduate, and I will continue to do so at all levels of my education. Its about the process, not the defined endpoint, IMHO.

Keep us posted fonzy!

Hey Fonzy-

When I interviewed at UNC-Chapel Hill last weekend, I discovered a woman in the MD/PhD program who is AT LEAST 40 (as she has children that are college age!). So other late bloomers are out there and there are programs that will encourage you. Good Luck!

Originally posted by jmed
Hey Fonzy-

When I interviewed at UNC-Chapel Hill last weekend, I discovered a woman in the MD/PhD program who is AT LEAST 40 (as she has children that are college age!). So other late bloomers are out there and there are programs that will encourage you. Good Luck!

I remember her from my time there as a graduate student. She is a very nice lady and should be close to finishing now. However, I don't know if I would characterize Chapel Hill as "nontraditional" friendly. Having recently been there (1997-1999) I don't have plans at this time to apply to their MD/PhD program because of the "issues" nontrads at the medical school I've known personally experienced.

Just something to think about..................

Hi y'all,

I met a man in first year MSTP at Albert Einstein who's 35ish. More power to you all, I think that's excellent!

In terms of going a program and being female, it almost seems to make more sense to do it later if you're worried about your biological clock. I'm mid-20s, and I know for me know is the right time to move on into MSTP. But I'm choosing to go right in the middle of child-bearing years. Almost makes more sense to do children first (if you want any). It's a very personal choice, when you're ready and when to go... Stating the obvious, I know. :)

Originally posted by tuckp
Almost makes more sense to do children first (if you want any). It's a very personal choice, when you're ready and when to go... Stating the obvious, I know. :)

People rarely mention this but you could always have children AND do MD/PhD. I had my daughter in grad school and while it was "complicated" it was far from impossible. With the right husband anything is possible. :)