Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Arrival of acceptance letters?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Vi Carious, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Vi Carious

Vi Carious Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Now that the magical October 15 has passed, has anyone received any acceptance letters? This board seems to be strangely silent on the subject. Or, is it just strangely silent, period?

2. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I didn't know October 15th was magical for acceptance letters! The interview phase is just starting to heat up for most schools.

3. Dave2K

Dave2K Member
    10+ Year Member

I think October 15th is the magical date for Early Decision programs. If you applied ED to one school, and they choose not to accept you in the ED program, they have to release your application to any other schools you wish to apply to. So, yes, if you were accepted Early Decision by a school, you already know. But for the normal admissions program, I don't think there is any magical deadline. October 15th is awfully early, but I imagine some people may have already heard. I do think that by some date (I believe its May 15th) you are no longer allowed to be holding on to 2 or more acceptances from different schools, and must choose one.

4. scully

scully Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Several schools do start sending out acceptances on the 15th for non-EDP students. I got one from MCV Monday and I know some others who have received Tulane. But I believe the vast majority of acceptances will not be given out until winter, so don't worry!

5. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey, congrats on the acceptance! You're going to be an M.D!

6. Crafty

Crafty Member
    10+ Year Member

Each school has their own timeline for admissions (which can be found in MSAR), but I think October 15th is the absolute earliest that any school is allowed to notify regular decision applicants. At least at Baylor, they said they would notify Early Decision applicants by October 1st, and begin notifying regular decision applicants on October 15th. But apparently an acceptance letter can come anytime in the next six months. I guess it's not worth holding your breath for. But like everyone else, I'm anxious to know what schools' timelines are, so I'll look forward to reading your posts about when people start getting acceptance letters. I hope to see a lot of smiley-face posts!

7. terryberry

terryberry Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I got my acceptance from SLU today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!

8. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Congratulations terryberry and scully! I got an acceptance from UAB (Univ Ala in Birmingham) today. I believe schools can notify you as early as they like. I know UAB sends out acceptances on the 15th of each month, starting in September.

------------------
    Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
    -Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

9. Peregrin

Peregrin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    AMCAS schools are required to wait until October 15 for informing non-EDP (so I was told from the admissions office at a school where I had already interviewed). My acceptance was dated October 7, but I was not able to see it until Monday, October 16. It was from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (their M.D. school).

Congrats to those who also were accepted. Best wishes to those still waiting...
    Godspeed...

10. doof

doof Member
    10+ Year Member

just curious: when receiving acceptances, is it generally the rule that someone from the adcom will call/email ahead?

[This message has been edited by doof (edited 02-06-2001).]

11. Challenge

10+ Year Member

October 15th is my birthday.. [​IMG]
    I would be jumping all around, running like crazy and would have the best birthday party ever if I get an acceptance letter from any med school the same day.

12. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Doof: nope. Just the envelope in your mailbox.