Residency, Fellowship, and Medical Student Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
https://cancer.psu.edu/provider-sea...medportlet_specialtyId=93&submitbutton=Submit

Penn State has had a radiation oncology division for a while and they are now looking to hire a new chair as they are converting their division to a department. But your point regarding the tightening radiation oncology job market is well-taken. :)

My point was that there appears to be yet another new residency program in the works, not that PSU is starting to offer radiation therapy for the first time. Seems to be happen regularly now. WVU, Augusta, and Arkansas are three recent examples who converted divisions to academic departments with new residency programs.

Members don't see this ad.

My point was that there appears to be yet another new residency program in the works, not that PSU is starting to offer radiation therapy for the first time. Seems to be happen regularly now. WVU, Augusta, and Arkansas are three recent examples who converted divisions to academic departments with new residency programs.

Agreed. Truly regrettable, especially given that there were multiple programs this year that went unmatched in the Match.

Where does it say anything about a Penn State residency program? Not all radiation oncology departments have residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where does it say anything about a Penn State residency program? Not all radiation oncology departments have residencies.
"This leader will develop a bold vision and guide the Department as a national leader in medical education, research, clinical care and compassionate service."
This is an explicit statement that the leadership desires a training program and the "successful candidate" better have that on her/his list.

"This leader will develop a bold vision and guide the Department as a national leader in medical education, research, clinical care and compassionate service."
This is an explicit statement that the leadership desires a training program and the "successful candidate" better have that on her/his list.

To be fair, the ad doesn't explicitly say that PSU wants to establish a residency program (ergo my use of "looks like" and "appears"), but I don't understand how any reasonable person couldn't infer that building a new academic department focused on medical education and research would almost certainly involve starting a residency program. I'm baffled that posting that ad was immediately met with two comments focusing on semantics. Are we just in denial?

To be fair, the ad doesn't explicitly say that PSU wants to establish a residency program (ergo my use of "looks like" and "appears"), but I don't understand how any reasonable person couldn't infer that building a new academic department focused on medical education and research would almost certainly involve starting a residency program. I'm baffled that posting that ad was immediately met with two comments focusing on semantics. Are we just in denial?
To be fair to both sides of the argument, psu does have a medical school and there are plenty of hospitals affiliated with medical schools with rad onc depts that don't have and aren't planning on a residency. Med students sometimes do spend time in those depts

Last edited:
They do have a need med s ch

To be fair to both sides of the argument, psu does have a medical school and there are plenty of hospitals affiliated with medical schools with rad onc depts that don't have and aren't planning on a residency. Med students sometimes do spend time in those depts
As one who has considered and interviewed for multiple Chair positions I can tell you that the expectation with the change from a division to a department is to create a training program. Yes there are medical schools with rad onc departments that don't have training programs but these are generally divisions (as PSU is now). The description of the "successful candidate" is telling. The medical center leadership wants the Founding Chair to create a program.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, I looked into a position there and I was specifically told that they are planning on starting a residency program and the application process is in full. I had to remain smiling, but I had to wonder whether the state of Pennsylvania needs the sixth radonc program??

Reactions: 1 users
I have it on good authority Dartmouth has been approved to begin accepting residents. One per year.

Reactions: 1 user
The Department of Radiation Oncology at Northwestern University has opened an additional ACGME-approved residency position starting July 1, 2018. We are now taking applications for this position for residents who have completed an intern year and are prepared to start a in a Radiation Oncology residency as a PGY-2 or later. Interested individuals should send a statement of interest, your CV, and at least two letters of reference to Shannon Peck-Walden 312-926-3521.

Northwestern University Department of Radiation Oncology hosts a cohort of 9 residents. We provide comprehensive clinical experience in the use of radiotherapy to treat cancer. We are also home to prominent grant-funded scientists and physician-scientists and can thus offer significant research opportunities.

Our radiation oncology program is a cornerstone of the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center – one of the 41 NCI national designated national comprehensive cancer centers in the United States. The Lurie Cancer Center is an also founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), an alliance of 23 of the world's leading cancer centers committed to research and enhancement of patient care. Our cancer center faculty members routinely provide expertise in writing the NCCN’s annually updated evidence-based treatment algorithms for multidisciplinary standard of cancer care.

As the technological and radiation therapy arm of the cancer center, our primary treatment facilities are housed in the Northwestern Memorial Hospital. With 894 inpatient beds and more than 3 million square feet of medical building space, Northwestern Memorial one of the largest hospitals in the nation and one of tallest hospitals in the world. In 2017 the institution was named as the 13th best hospital in the country on the US News Hospital Honor Roll.

The Department of Radiation Oncology at Northwestern University has opened an additional ACGME-approved residency position starting July 1, 2018. We are now taking applications for this position for residents who have completed an intern year and are prepared to start a in a Radiation Oncology residency as a PGY-2 or later. Interested individuals should send a statement of interest, your CV, and at least two letters of reference to Shannon Peck-Walden 312-926-3521.

Northwestern University Department of Radiation Oncology hosts a cohort of 9 residents. We provide comprehensive clinical experience in the use of radiotherapy to treat cancer. We are also home to prominent grant-funded scientists and physician-scientists and can thus offer significant research opportunities.

Our radiation oncology program is a cornerstone of the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center – one of the 41 NCI national designated national comprehensive cancer centers in the United States. The Lurie Cancer Center is an also founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), an alliance of 23 of the world's leading cancer centers committed to research and enhancement of patient care. Our cancer center faculty members routinely provide expertise in writing the NCCN’s annually updated evidence-based treatment algorithms for multidisciplinary standard of cancer care.

As the technological and radiation therapy arm of the cancer center, our primary treatment facilities are housed in the Northwestern Memorial Hospital. With 894 inpatient beds and more than 3 million square feet of medical building space, Northwestern Memorial one of the largest hospitals in the nation and one of tallest hospitals in the world. In 2017 the institution was named as the 13th best hospital in the country on the US News Hospital Honor Roll.

Hitting restrictions on links; here is Shannon's email: speckwa1 at nm dot org

Members don't see this ad :)
The Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of California, Irvine (UCI) is seeking two residents at the PGY-2 to PGY-5 levels to begin July 2018 or later. As an integrated program, residency training is conducted at the UCI Medical Center, VA Long Beach, and Long Beach Memorial Medical Center. The UCI Residency in Radiation Oncology is designed to prepare physicians for successful careers in clinical and academic radiation oncology. The Program is also designed to meet the requirements of the Radiation Oncology section of the American Board of Radiology’s specialty certification.

The Program offers a four- year training program in Radiation Oncology following the successful completion of a preliminary training year with at least 9 months of patient care. Applicants will also be expected to fulfill the general criteria set forth for residents by the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine.

How to apply: Please e-mail the Residency Coordinator, Linh Nguyen at [email protected]. Or you may submit your application through the ASTRO career website. Please do not email other faculty at UCI your application.

Please submit:
  1. CV & Cover Letter
  2. Medical School Transcripts
  3. Dean’s Letter
  4. Three letters of recommendation
  5. USMLE Steps 1-3 Transcripts
  6. Medical School Diploma
The University of California, Irvine, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.

UCI Radiation Oncology Residency Opening

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I’m a current Chief resident in nuclear medine/molecular imaging at a University program who is interested in completing a second residency training in radiation oncology. I can start as a PGY-2 and potentially PGY-3 ( allowing for the clinical radonc 36 month minimum rule if credit can be obtained for previous training). Clinical year completed, US citizen ( no visa requiered), all steps passed ( medical licensed in current training state) and solid references. Please send me a private message if open spot is available. Thanks in advance.

The Department of Human Oncology at the University of Wisconsin is looking to fill a radiation oncology resident position to start this coming July 1, 2019. Ideally, this would be someone completing their intern year to then start their PGY-2 year here at UW, but any eligible resident entering PGY-2 through PGY-5 would be considered.

Our program caters to those pursuing careers in both academics and private practice, and has significant training in gynecologic, prostate, and head and neck brachytherapy. All rotations are performed at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics within the Carbone Cancer Center, which is an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.

How to apply: Please email our program coordinator Julie Thomas at [email protected] with your name and a current CV. For questions you can also call her directly at (608) 263 5009.

Emory Dept. of Radiation Oncology Medical Student Scholars Program

Please see attached flyer for details

Attachments

• ANNOUNCEMENT - Medical Scholar Award 2019.pdf
    27 KB · Views: 210
The Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of Louisville is offering a PGY-2 position in its medical residency program starting July 2020. The program is fully accredited by the ACGME and is designed to develop professional competence in the care of patients undergoing radiotherapy. Opportunities for clinical research are also available, including dedicated rotation time for research. The resident will work in disease site specific clinical teams to see pediatric and adult patients with a broad range of cancers.
Available learning opportunities for technical competence in radiation oncology include: volumetric arc therapy (VMAT), image guided radiation therapy (IGRT), CyberKnife for stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) and fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy (FSRT), stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT), intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT), high dose rate brachytherapy, MRI-guided brachytherapy, and various unsealed sources.

Applicants must have graduated from medical school (MD/DO) and completed a PGY-1 preliminary year or categorical internship and must be eligible for a Kentucky Residency Training License. This four year program will start July 1, 2020.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply on the ERAS website.

• Haha
I am starting as a PGY1 diagnostic radiology resident at a categorial program.

I am looking for any PGY2 radiation oncology position starting in July 2021. If you know of a program with an opening, please contact me or post here. [email protected]

Just call up some programs, i am sure there are lots of openings. I take it you are down with the high chance of being unemployed in 4 years, or do you have a special destiny?

Just call up some programs, i am sure there are lots of openings. I take it you are down with the high chance of being unemployed in 4 years, or do you have a special destiny?
I am trying to email programs but I have had no success. I understand I may not have a job or may have a very unfavorable job situation in the middle of nowhere compared to radiology where that wont be an issue, but I do not see myself doing anything other than radonc. Thanks

I would strongly suggest doing a residency in Im and applying 2 years from now. Those extra 2 years will guarantee your future and you will almost certainly match into a top program.

I am starting as a PGY1 diagnostic radiology resident at a categorial program.

I am looking for any PGY2 radiation oncology position starting in July 2021. If you know of a program with an opening, please contact me or post here. [email protected]

Terrible decision but since you asked for help, best bet is wait for the 60 unmatched spots next March and call those places immediately

Reactions: 2 users
Terrible decision but since you asked for help, best bet is wait for the 60 unmatched spots next March and call those places immediately

some people are hell bent in walking off cliff. we can’t save them all

• Sad
Bump. Still looking for pgy2 position starting 2021.

Bump. Still looking for pgy2 position starting 2021.

I don’t think you’re going to find this right now

Would be insane for a RO program to expand right now for a PGY2 spot

Are you advanced switching over? Or IM etc in PGY1?

If advanced, I believe you have to finish PGY2 at wherever you matched per NRMP contract

I’m categorical pgy1 radiology. Can take any pgy2 spot. Yeah I think I’ll have to grab something from unfilled spots after match this year.

• Hmm
I’m categorical pgy1 radiology. Can take any pgy2 spot. Yeah I think I’ll have to grab something from unfilled spots after match this year.

You'll probably get into Harvard

And then 4 years later unemployed like the rest of us

You must really love radonc smh

• Haha
Hello I am Canadian and graduating med school 2024. I know going into radonc residency in the US is a suicide mission but what are people's thoughts on getting jobs after residency in Canada? I am pretty well connected at the institution I would want to work at or near and have research etc. I know currently most likely you would have to do a fellowship for a year to find employment but do you also need a masters or phD? Not sure when I would be able to even complete a PhD maybe a Masters is manageable after residency/ med school or something.

As of now my only backup plan is med onc which I don't think I would enjoy as much as I almost went into engineering and rad onc has really cool technology and I love physics and biology (I wouldn't be depressed if I had to do med onc though I just know what I like). I like reading MRI/ CT's but not enough to be a radiologist (I need human interaction and I enjoy every patient interaction) can't see myself doing surgery either as I don't particularly like working with my hands.

My plan was to keep on chipping away at cancer research and when it comes time to choose electives I'll have to make a final decision. Hopefully only having cancer research won't hinder an internal medicine app if I end up doing that. I don't really the most about compensation as I'm lucky enough to not be in debt and I would be willing to do a masters and fellowship (so like an extra 3 years of not getting paid well) if necessary but I really wouldn't feel like moving across the country for a job. If i ended up going to the US the area wouldn't really matter as much but I don't think the market there is going to improve a ton but who knows.

Canada seems to control residency positions pretty well and from what I've seen the market has gotten better and I have seen a few job adverts in my area so as of now it's not awful I'm just worried if they start flooding residents the year after I commit or something that would suck. But as of this year they seem to have decreased spots from 23 to 22 across Canada. Also was wondering if trying to get into a good residency in the US and then working in Canada is an option?

Appreciate this forum even though it raises my cortisol every time I open it.

Hello I am Canadian and graduating med school 2024. I know going into radonc residency in the US is a suicide mission but what are people's thoughts on getting jobs after residency in Canada? I am pretty well connected at the institution I would want to work at or near and have research etc. I know currently most likely you would have to do a fellowship for a year to find employment but do you also need a masters or phD? Not sure when I would be able to even complete a PhD maybe a Masters is manageable after residency/ med school or something.

As of now my only backup plan is med onc which I don't think I would enjoy as much as I almost went into engineering and rad onc has really cool technology and I love physics and biology (I wouldn't be depressed if I had to do med onc though I just know what I like). I like reading MRI/ CT's but not enough to be a radiologist (I need human interaction and I enjoy every patient interaction) can't see myself doing surgery either as I don't particularly like working with my hands.

My plan was to keep on chipping away at cancer research and when it comes time to choose electives I'll have to make a final decision. Hopefully only having cancer research won't hinder an internal medicine app if I end up doing that. I don't really the most about compensation as I'm lucky enough to not be in debt and I would be willing to do a masters and fellowship (so like an extra 3 years of not getting paid well) if necessary but I really wouldn't feel like moving across the country for a job. If i ended up going to the US the area wouldn't really matter as much but I don't think the market there is going to improve a ton but who knows.

Canada seems to control residency positions pretty well and from what I've seen the market has gotten better and I have seen a few job adverts in my area so as of now it's not awful I'm just worried if they start flooding residents the year after I commit or something that would suck. But as of this year they seem to have decreased spots from 23 to 22 across Canada. Also was wondering if trying to get into a good residency in the US and then working in Canada is an option?

Appreciate this forum even though it raises my cortisol every time I open it.
I've heard they prefer Canadian trained grads, but don't know that for a fact. I think getting a job might have been easier using that route in the past then it is now

I've heard they prefer Canadian trained grads, but don't know that for a fact. I think getting a job might have been easier using that route in the past then it is now
Yeah it seems like all the foreign trained rad oncs are extremely educated compared to their Canadian trained peers.

I was told no americans need apply when I applied up there, though I am a US citizen. I have two friends who are Canadian and trained in the us who wanted very much to go back and are now up in rural areas in the US near the us/canada border due to lack of jobs in Canada.

I was told no americans need apply when I applied up there, though I am a US citizen. I have two friends who are Canadian and trained in the us who wanted very much to go back and are now up in rural areas in the US near the us/canada border due to lack of jobs in Canada.
Ok makes sense, I have heard this is similar among most specialties in Canada. Basically if you wanna live here you should train here

Ok makes sense, I have heard this is similar among most specialties in Canada. Basically if you wanna live here you should train here

The market is divorced from the US, but basically this. Canadian citizens and PRs get first crack at jobs. Some Toronto and chair positions seem to be opportunities where if you’re a US academic superstar, then you also get a decent crack at opportunities from what I’ve witnessed.

Even for some of the BC postings of late, I know of at least one Canadian trained RO working in the US that has been having a rough bout luck in trying to get a spot back in Canada. But overall the market in Canada is better as of late, and I personally expect that to continue for some time. I can send the latest numbers and projections later, if you like. If you’re graduating med in 2024, you’ve got some time to assess things and figure things out. Best thing you can do is email the local PD and try and set up a chat and see if you can ask them/their chief resident some questions.l, which won’t commit you in any way but may also inform you further.

The market is divorced from the US, but basically this. Canadian citizens and PRs get first crack at jobs. Some Toronto and chair positions seem to be opportunities where if you’re a US academic superstar, then you also get a decent crack at opportunities from what I’ve witnessed.

Even for some of the BC postings of late, I know of at least one Canadian trained RO working in the US that has been having a rough bout luck in trying to get a spot back in Canada. But overall the market in Canada is better as of late, and I personally expect that to continue for some time. I can send the latest numbers and projections later, if you like. If you’re graduating med in 2024, you’ve got some time to assess things and figure things out. Best thing you can do is email the local PD and try and set up a chat and see if you can ask them/their chief resident some questions.l, which won’t commit you in any way but may also inform you further.
I have talked to my PI in the past but they are kind of a superstar and when I asked about the market they said they don't really know bc I assume they don't really need to worry about it at this point. The PD said they wouldn't discriminate against me in my application if I tried doing more internal research to try and go down the med onc avenue and then changed my mind. I might bring it up again later on when I need to decide and the timeline has played out more. All really nice ppl but I think they don't want to lead me down the wrong path and be responsible for it. I also know some med onc that we do joint research projects with that I might ask for advice as well, its just hard when I'm not there in person atm.

The latest numbers and projections would be great :)

This was extremely helpful. If you ever get your hands on the 2020 version let me know. I see that the survey changes quite a bit every couple years. Theres no real way to know whats gonna happen 10 years down the line I guess. What i got from this is that 20% can get a job right after graduating and 90% get a job after 2 years. Not great but not the end of the world either. I assume I can boost my job odds by having people rooting for me on the inside or getting a masters.

Then again I could just do med onc and look forward to a job

• Haha
What i got from this is that 20% can get a job right after graduating and 90% get a job after 2 years. Not great but not the end of the world either.

That's atrocious. I guess you Canadians don't have as many issues with student debt and exploitative practices, but only 20% have a job after graduation?

Fellowship is kind of expected up there. For what exactly I don't know. We've discussed fellowships many times on here, and they are largely useless in my opinion. I know some academics up there and they love their fellows--more papers for them.

That's the kind of scenario where they need to just not have a class of rad onc residents one or two years and let the job market reset. Then boom, 90%+ will have full time employment after graduation, not two years.

Also USA has it's own job market issues, and should not be looked at as an outlet for Canadian oversupply as it was in past years.

Not sure why anyone would look at that data and feel otherwise.

Reactions: 3 users
That's atrocious. I guess you Canadians don't have as many issues with student debt and exploitative practices, but only 20% have a job after graduation?

Fellowship is kind of expected up there. For what exactly I don't know. We've discussed fellowships many times on here, and they are largely useless in my opinion. I know some academics up there and they love their fellows--more papers for them.

That's the kind of scenario where they need to just not have a class of rad onc residents one or two years and let the job market reset. Then boom, 90%+ will have full time employment after graduation, not two years.

Also USA has it's own job market issues, and should not be looked at as an outlet for Canadian oversupply as it was in past years.

Not sure why anyone would look at that data and feel otherwise.
Yeah it's kind of embarrassing how low our standards are compared to the US sometimes. I think bc everyone is friendly and you're not worked to the bone as much and less debt so the young doctors don't mind as much.

But I don't think it's right for a specialty in medicine to have the same risk of unemployment as being in the film industry or something (considering it takes like 15 years to practice).

One of the higher up docs in internal told me rad onc is dying when I mentioned it so that's when I sort of caught on. No one in the radonc program really gas lit me like people on here mention (if anything a few told me to not go into medicine in general which was a little shocking bc I think its the best).