Arrogant Professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an ego to put with this quarter. a professor from my bio class pretty much thinks his class is the standard for a great class, and claims that his tests are representative of the MCAT. I think I should know a little about this comparison because I took the MCAT this saturday and his test recently. His tests don't test reasoning as he claims it tests, rather it tests brute memorization and miniscule details that are worthless to know for an exam like the MCAT. After the test I mentioned to him, that his test seemed harderd than the MCAT. He replied that if a student can't do well on his one-hour exam then he wouldn't want them to be a physician. I felt like telling him that judging ones' capacity to become a physician based on his crappy test would be a mistake. But I'm saving it until he really pisses me off and then I'll give him a piece of my mind. Anyone have experiences with dingus professors?

[This message has been edited by jmejia1 (edited April 26, 2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

OH yeah, I've had too many arrogant professors. Most of my physics and math profs are of the arrogant variety, who think that anything outside of what they are doing is worthless.

I actually had a chem professor tell me that I should seriously think about not applying to medical school since I got a B in his organic lab. He actually thinks that this one lab will keep me out of med school. The list goes on and on, but I won't bore you with the rest of it.

Does anybody get in with a B in organic lab?
wink.gif
I hope so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot...I got in with TWO C's in Organic LECTURE! I got an A in Lab I and a B+ in lab II....tell your Orgo prof to sit on that one for a while!
wink.gif

i know an M1 at UCLA who had a B- in both semesters of Organic.
Also, at orientation before classes even started my freshman year, I went in to talk to a chem prof about taking advanced general chem and he told me that since i didn't get a 5 on AP chem i would never get into med school ever. I ended up with the highest grade in the class that semester, but I've never talked to that man since.

lol what a joke these professors are. My chemistry professor told everyone in my class that all of us are going to kill lots of patients unless we know how to do NMR! Whoever said you needed to get a 5 on the AP for crying out loud needs to have his head examined. That's the most laughable thing I've heard in a while. Before we take of these clowns' threats seriously we need to ask ourselves, why aren't THEY doctors? I have nothing against great teachers and I have the utmost respect for those who teach well and love what they do, but those bitter teachers that have nothing better to do than make premeds miserable are probably just letting their repressed frustration of their denial on us.

Whatever makes you think that all or most professors in science departments were premeds who didn't make the grade? Does it never occur to you that there are people in this world who have genuine interest in challenging intellectual problems and/or in teaching yet have no interest whatsoever in becoming physicians? Indeed, might it not be equally plausible that many students interested in science go to medical school because they could not, or know they could not, make the grade for teaching and/or research?

This does not excuse arrogance on the part of anyone. No group has a monopoly on stupidity and arrogance. Are there no arrogant premeds and physicians, or arrogant people in any calling of any kind? I agree that the statements quoted are are arrogant, and I would add stupid. Has none of you ever heard of the "premed syndrome" which drives teachers up the wall? "Any questions about this lecture?" "Yeah, teach, what is going to be on the exam?" Not arrogance or stupidity, perhaps, but lack of interest in anything of the mind beyond what will help get them into medical school. There are even premeds who find such students loathsome!

There are two--or more--sides to every street. Stupidity and arrogance are sadly all too common in this imperfect world. They appear to be exclusively human traits.
Moreover, we often project onto others the feelings we have about ourselves.

Be self-confident but also humble as the infinitismal specks we are in the universe. Somewhere I thought I heard that humility, whether differently phrased or not, was a prime directive of all the major and minor religions in the world.

Guard against becoming elitist and arrogant physicians, having already seen the downside of those traits. Hey, I am not a bigot: some of my best friends are premedical students and physicians!

May the road rise to meet you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Schoolboy:
lol what a joke these professors are. My chemistry professor told everyone in my class that all of us are going to kill lots of patients unless we know how to do NMR! Whoever said you needed to get a 5 on the AP for crying out loud needs to have his head examined. That's the most laughable thing I've heard in a while. Before we take of these clowns' threats seriously we need to ask ourselves, why aren't THEY doctors? I have nothing against great teachers and I have the utmost respect for those who teach well and love what they do, but those bitter teachers that have nothing better to do than make premeds miserable are probably just letting their repressed frustration of their denial on us.

Although, these professors are arrogant, it doesn't mean that they don't have the intelligence to do medicine. In fact to do what they are doing, they had to have done well in the hard physical sciences.

Think about it: would a person who is not good at chem pursue a doctorate in chemistry. I sincerely doubt it.

It is ridiculous how many pre-meds assume that everyone wants to be a doctor. Also, they assume that any non-physician working in science academia are med school rejects. Now that is arrogant thinking.

[This message has been edited by Jules_dynamos (edited April 27, 2001).]

Ever stop to think that maybe your professors are lighting a fire under your arse? A good professor will challenge his students, make them want to learn the material instead of "have" to learn the material. I am a pre-med student but I don't dwell on the fact that if I don't get into med school life is over. I'm sure that our professors want us all to succeed in what ever it is we decide to do. They want to push us to our limits and watch us go beyond. So next time you think your professors are being "too hard" on you, or cutting you down by suggesting that you'll have to work harder if you want to be a doc, just remember that they are here to help us accomplish our dreams. They want to see us be the best that we can be. If someone tells you you can't do something, don't be afraid to step up and prove them wrong!

Cobragirl and gel1,

Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your experiences.

And if it looked like I was trying to belittle my professor's intelligence or anything like that, I didn't mean for my post to come across like that. I know this guy is smart, and I know he's doing what he loves, I just happen to think he has very strange ideas about being accepted to medical school.

Jamier,

No, I'm sorry if I came across as being abrasive. I just meant that no matter what try yopur hardest and don't let anyone tell you you cant! Sometimes it may seem that your profs. are being jerks, but I'm sure that they just want to see you succeed! I'm sure you'll do just fine! Keep your head up and you'll be a doc someday soon! Best of luck!!!

I had a bad experience with an arrogant professor too. It was during organic chemistry. I did not like the guy and he knew it so at the end of the semester he ended giving me an F- so I got really upset and asked him what was up with the minus part and he said that he had to give me an F- because it wouldn't be fair to those who failed normally.

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me