Arrowhead Regional/Riverside/Colton CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone been here/planning on going here/know anything about the area? I really want to rotate through the neurosurg. department here, but need to know if it is a place worth raising a family (my daughter will be 5). Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Colton is a bit of an "arm pit". Redlands and Loma Linda are decent areas to live and raise a family. The housing costs are much less than many parts of LA county. Arrowhead is a great place to do rotations. It is a very busy county facility. The neuro surg. residents are fun to work with and like to teach. You could also do a rotation in SICU which I found to be the best rotation at Arrowhead.

If you are looking at primarily the west coast, you can always check out the Barrows Neuro institute in Phoenix. It is supposed to be a superb facility with a level I trauma center. If you have trouble finding contacts I am sure AZCOM has some contacts if you want to rotate there.
Here is the link:
http://www.thebarrow.com/home.asp

I think they are affiliated with CHW and St. Josephs.

Members don't see this ad :)
The inland empire pretty much sucks.

I would be more inclined to live further west and commute. You might want to consider living in the Glendale/Arcadia area. I would think the the commute wouldn't be too bad. And there is absolutely no comparison between the school systems.

The best place to live would obviously be as far west down the 10 fwy as possible. But I don't think a 1 to 1/2 commute is feasible ;)

Originally posted by DrSmiles
If you are looking at primarily the west coast, you can always check out the Barrows Neuro institute in Phoenix. It is supposed to be a superb facility with a level I trauma center. If you have trouble finding contacts I am sure AZCOM has some contacts if you want to rotate there.
Here is the link:
http://www.thebarrow.com/home.asp

I think they are affiliated with CHW and St. Josephs.

From what I have read, they are also tops in the game...while I dont doubt my ability or my credentials, I am a realist;)

It is wise to be a realist...:D , but this could be a place to get an awesome letter of recommendation if you are planning to go the neuro route... who knows, I am still trying to figure out the game myself.

Live in Redlands, Claremont or Loma Linda. The NeuroSurg program is awesome and the inland empire (The IE) is not as bad as everyone says. Do not live close to the hospital.

Montclair, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga and all these other places west of ARMC are a little cheaper than the above neighborhoods but are all okay.

you couldn't pay me enough to live in Redlands, Loma Linda Claremont, Rancho Cucuamonga, Montclair, Upland, etc..... :laugh:

I am rotating at SM-UCLA & UCLA right now.
You could not pay me enough to live in Chicago- the weather is much worse than anywhere in SoCal....;)

I did almost go to Kirksville though...

lol.....you got me there! although weather has nothing to do with living in the inland empire!

what department are you rotating through right now cliff?
say hi to everyone there for me!