Art portfolio for dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankee boy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as a high school senior, I think I have finally found my niche. I love the sciences and I'm an avid student in the fine arts. Is it possible when the time comes if I get interviewed, that I could bring a portfolio with all my artwork in it? I've won art shows on a county,regional, and hopefully state level in Florida. I just think that maybe bringing a portfolio and showing the people my artwork would show them the extremely delicate and intricate work I do in sculptures and drwaings? Thanks for the your time guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Yankee - speaking as someone with a degree in ptg, I think having a portfolio is awesome, but I don't think Adcoms will care all that much about the portfolio. Definitely mention your abilities, stess them by what your activies/ hobbies are during college.

i would definitely take your portfolio to your interview! i did it with mine and it makes them drop their jaw when they can see what you're capable of doing rather than hearing it. I just asked them if i could show them my work when we started talking about why i wanted to pursue dentistry...and they all were dieing to see it.

so good luck and keep up the art, its a bonus that will win the interviewer over, guaranteed ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't a bad idea at all, but I'd say your best bet would be to make some small sculputres or something of the sort and keep them in your pocket, and don't force the issue during an interview but if it comes up bring it out, I did something like this and the interviewers seemed to really like it, plus it'll help the m to remember you too you're bringing something else to the table

I think it's a great idea to bring it too. I brought about 5 of mine and 2 miniatures I painted and I think it makes you stand out if you are the only one on that day that brought it. In my interview, the best conversation came out of the subjects I chose to paint. Another thing, it probably won't come up in your interview. At the end, my interviewers both seemed to be wrapping up and I said "would you mind if I showed you my some of my work?" They seemed really delighted and hey.. I got in but who knows.

Awesome, thanks for the input guys, really do appreciate it, hoping that that 'wow' factor will keep me in their heads when interview time comes around.