Art therapy in rehab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Linda_M

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in practicing art therapy in rehab settings using a holistic approach - mind-body connection, etc. However, I am torn between two options:
1- getting a MS/MA in psychotherapy (LPC) with a specialization in Rehab and a postgraduate certificate in art therapy; or
2 - getting a Master's in Occupational therapy plus the same certificate.
Ok, I understand that two fields are different. As a LPC I will work on spiritual healing, CBT maybe. As an OT I will be more focused on teaching people to take care of themselves, brush teeth etc. Which degree do you think provides more flexibility, opportunities for growth, variety of potential work settings, creativity and practicing a holistic approach etc? Any opinions will be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but aren't there art therapy master's programs that also prepare you to become licensed as an LPC? Wouldn't that be the most efficient path?

BTW, this is a psychology forum and your question doesn't directly pertain to a psychology career, so you might have better luck in the master's level forum.

Agreed that you might get more helpful responses in the master's level forum. Also, you might want to take a look at the job market in your area. Some areas seem to be pretty saturated with LPC/equivalent, and other areas are not. That might help guide your decision if you are equally interested in both and prefer to stay in a particular geographic area.