article library

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hayduke

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Following an admittedly short search, I could not find a recent list of "must-have" EM oriented journal articles.
I am trying to put together a short primer list for the incoming folks at my program.
It would be great if some of the wisened board members could cough out some of their go-to studies. I am trying to get the best from the last 5 years. A quick start list includes some of the ones I like. The '98 rads article is just an interesting read. It probably won't go in the big list.

Any EM topic that a 'tern should have a handle on is worthy. Peds, GI, Cards, Trauma. All takers are welcome. Please add your favs.

Crit Care Med. 2008 Jan;36(1):296-327.
Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008.

Clin Radiol. 1998 Sep;53(9):639-49.
Imaging of acute right lower abdominal quadrant pain.

Circulation. 2007 Jul 3;116(1):6-9.
The ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction chain of survival.

J Emerg Med. 2006 Aug;31(2):201-10.
Brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) testing in the emergency department.

Can Respir J. 2007 Sep;14(6):331-7.
Comparison of Canadian versus American emergency department visits for acute asthma

Members don't see this ad.

Awhile back there was a thread called "Help me build my so there file,' which had a lot of the type of articles you're looking for.

these are older articles but still "classics" especially the Scarbossa article on LBBB/MI and the original Rivers goal directed therapy for sepsis

ST-Segment Elevation in Conditions Other Than Acute Myocardial Infarction
Kyuhyun Wang, M.D., Richard W. Asinger, M.D., and Henry J.L. Marriott, M.D
N Engl J Med 2003;349:2128-35.

ELECTROCARDIOGRAPHIC DIAGNOSIS OF EVOLVING ACUTE MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION IN THE PRESENCE OF LEFT BUNDLE-BRANCH BLOCK
Scarbossa et al.
N Engl J Med 1996;334:481-7

EARLY GOAL-DIRECTED THERAPY IN THE TREATMENT OF SEVERE SEPSIS
AND SEPTIC SHOCK
Rivers et al.
N Engl J Med 2001;345:1368-77.

Thanks for the replies.
The "so there" file is great for the pit retort, but I am looking for journal club fodder.
I would appreciate some other input. We lost some great journalistas this
Fall. It sure would be nice if the new crop of seniors/attendings could take up some slack.