article on CNN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

el indio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
CNN.com posts health care articles every now and then, and they are usually biased against docs. read this one and go through the comments left.

is there ever going to be a fair solution for health care in this country? i am in the process of picking med schools to apply for the next cycle but honestly i am scared of being a doc

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/02/28/ep.doctor.expectations/index.html

Members don't see this ad.

CNN.com posts health care articles every now and then, and they are usually biased against docs. read this one and go through the comments left.
Article was pretty fair. What to look for in a doctor. I don't see anything all that controversial. Will you get all of what you're looking for? Probably not, but if you don't get much of it, shop around.

If you have a primary care physician that won't see you same day or next day when you're very sick, get another physician. Most good physicians fit you in on either their schedule or someone in their practice if you're really sick. Getting a phone call back from their office when you call? Also not a biggie.

If your doctor can't explain things to you in terms you understand (or doesn't take the time to), switch doctors. Health is too important for bad care.

Most folks who've had a fair bit of exposure to healthcare won't find this article to be very frightening. It's all common sense logic of how to choose a provider.
i am in the process of picking med schools to apply for the next cycle but honestly i am scared of being a doc
If the content of the article scares you, you might want to sit down and have a thought about it. It's too easy for premeds to get into the habit of thinking the patients exist because of the doctor, rather than the other way around.

The one thing that everyone should think long and hard about before going into medicine is the realization that they are going into the service industry. You have customers that you may not agree with that you need to try to make happy. If you can't come to grips with that, medicine is going to be a long and grueling career.