articles concerning treatment following a closed reduction of the shoulder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apr27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to come off as asking for medical advice but I saw an orthopod regarding my recent visit to the ER (Sunday 7/7). He said that studies have shown that slings/immobilizers are merely for comfort and that I can take it off right now.

Can anyone direct me to some articles regarding this point of view? It just seemed counter to what I've read and it's only been a day.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a couple JBJS articles that may be of use to you but it's more regarding recurrence rate. There was some thought that immobilization in external rotation reduced recurrence but subsequent studies failed to produce a significant finding.

Robinson et al. Functional Outcome and Risk of Recurrent Instability After Primary Traumatic Anterior Shoulder Dislocation in Young Patients. JBJS 2006 Nov;88(11):2326-2336.

and

Paterson et al. Position and duration of immobilization after primary anterior shoulder dislocation: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature. JBJS 2010 Dec;92(18):2924-33.