SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Artistic Talent?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by chemmajor, Mar 19, 2001.

1. chemmajor

chemmajor Junior Member

Mar 18, 2001
    I am interested in going to dental school. However, I have very little artistic talent. Does success in dental school depend on your artistic ability or is it something that can be learned?
    Also, how is the DAT scored? I know that there is a separate number for the Academic section and the PAT? But how do they get the number for the Academic section? Thanks for your help!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. I have a similar worry as chemmajor, I haven't really had much artistic experience either.

I think that if you are a quick learner, and have some native ability, you should be able to learn this aspect of dentistry. I also think that people who are already really good with their hands and fingers (eg. pianists) will just have a leg up on the competition just as you would if you've already taken a lot of courses similar to the ones in dental school (eg. physiology and anatomy).

These are just my thoughts though, if anyone knows different, and thinks that chemmajor and I had better choose a different profession (I'm not sure if I'll take your advice on that one though) please let us know.
  4. gower

gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    Don't worry about artistic experience. Most students accepted to dental school don't have artistic or any other special skills. Unless you are a klutz, all thumbs, you will learn the skills. Very few are dismissed for lacking manual dexterity.