Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Artistic Talent?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by chemmajor, Mar 19, 2001.

1. chemmajor

chemmajor Junior Member

I am interested in going to dental school. However, I have very little artistic talent. Does success in dental school depend on your artistic ability or is it something that can be learned?
    Also, how is the DAT scored? I know that there is a separate number for the Academic section and the PAT? But how do they get the number for the Academic section? Thanks for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I have a similar worry as chemmajor, I haven't really had much artistic experience either.

I think that if you are a quick learner, and have some native ability, you should be able to learn this aspect of dentistry. I also think that people who are already really good with their hands and fingers (eg. pianists) will just have a leg up on the competition just as you would if you've already taken a lot of courses similar to the ones in dental school (eg. physiology and anatomy).

These are just my thoughts though, if anyone knows different, and thinks that chemmajor and I had better choose a different profession (I'm not sure if I'll take your advice on that one though) please let us know.

4. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't worry about artistic experience. Most students accepted to dental school don't have artistic or any other special skills. Unless you are a klutz, all thumbs, you will learn the skills. Very few are dismissed for lacking manual dexterity.