Artists going to be DO's

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by johndean11229, Apr 4, 2002.

1. johndean11229

johndean11229 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey everyone, I was just curious out there to see (since the DO profession is filled with doctors who used to have other careers) if anyone out going to be a DO used to be artists as professionals or just like doing art. I am a professional actor, poet, and i am finishing up my first book. Funny enough i was chewed out at LECOM and NYCOM for "wasting" my last years before applying to school for being an artist, but hey, thats why i am not going to their schools. Anyone else kind of had these problems? I'd love to hear from you artists out there! Take care and Good Luck!

Johnny
    PCOM Class of 2006

2. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Good for you man. Those stodgy bricks at NYCOM and LECOM, that is ridiculous.

3. Shark

Shark Member
    7+ Year Member

After all that, you got into the best do school!! Good job dude!

4. jdm

jdm Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm also a poet and translator, and have found that the ability to think conceptually/holistically that is natural to an artist is beneficial to understanding alot of medical concepts. I think that in terms of osteopathic principles - applying lessons of physiology and anataomy to diagnosis and treatment - this artistic training will be great.

My experience w/ DO schools has been very positive, and I was really up to becoming a DO, learning OMT, fraternizing w/ a more eclectic group of people etc... But I got into the state MD school that I was really keen on and the combination of program/tuition is just too attractive to pass up.

How do you figure to maintain your artistic pursuits while in medschool? Are you?

5. annushka

annushka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey, i was studying to be a filmmaker when i decided to make a drastic change and apply to D.O. i'll be starting NYCOM in the fall, they did not really bother me that much about it at the interview. i got a guy interested in film and basically the whole interview i was talking about film theory instead of talking about medicine! i totally thought there was no way i would get in, but go figure...

6. johndean11229

johndean11229 Member
    10+ Year Member

hey jdm, cool post, thanks for the support....well as for med school, i do know that my artisitc side will have to be slightly put off for a while. i m def hoping that med school will be the time that i can become a better guitarist. i think music will be a great soother with those nights of long studying and i need a break. writing and acting will def be put off for a while. i will 100% go back to them after i am done cause they are just in my blood. i know i will act and write again...anyway, thats it for now....peace