As a Canadian, If I finish family doctor residence in US, can I work in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgzca

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I have to take Canada board exam, what else should I do ? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure on the specifics, but if you take all 3 USMLE exams I think you should be OK and not have to take the Canadian exams. But you shold check on that with the College of Family Physicians (or whatever it's called).

Beyond that, you probably will need Canadian citizenship to practice, but that's the only thing that I can think of. And make sure your residency is ACGME accredited.

I doubt that you'd have to become a Canadian citizen to practice anywhere in Canada. Many doctors come from South Africa each year to live and work in Canada. You may be required to spend some time in an underserved area for a couple years, but I don't see why Canada would deny a well-trained physician the right to practice. From what I understand, if you can complete the required exams and obtain a visa, you should be good to go.

I should mention that this is by no means straight from a a source, but I'd check out the Medical Council of Canada and College of Family Physicians of Canada or your intended province of practice websites.

This varies from province to province, but there are some like Saskatchewan and Newfoundland that do not require certification with the CFPC to practice.

Ontario requires certification and LMCC status to practice family medicine.