As a Canadian, should I write the American DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herragge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I would greatly appreciate some input,

I am a Canadian undergrad who has completed the Canadian DAT in 2007. I scored 20AA, 20PAT, 29 Carving. I plan on applying to American schools in the upcoming cycle asap in June. My GPA is reasonably strong; 3.7-3.8. Extracurriculars are present, not spectacular, but are okay.

I want to know if I should write the American DAT. I am gone for one month before I travel to Europe in mid June, and the time from now to then would be to study and write my test before I leave. I have reviewed the Kaplan, and I do not forsee me doing any worse on the American DAT as I did in the cDAT, in fact I'll probably do alot better considering I have a degree under my belt and I'll be studying it with a rather open schedule. I expect 22-23+ if I do write it.

Some of the schools I'm interested in: Penn, Boston, Tufts, Columbia, Nova, and maybe UIllinois and UArizona.

These are my concerns:
-do I really need to write it if I'm applying in June? My AA/PAT on my cDAT isn't that bad...it could be improved but is it worth my time?
-in what ways will writing the American DAT be to my advantage? I know the American DAT is electronic, so it is easily processed in comparison to the cDAT which needs to be manually processed, but if I'm applying in June does this processing time really matter?
-most schools I am interested in accept the Canadian DAT; however many of them do not specify how old the DAT can be. I wrote mine in 2007, I wonder if this will pose any problems?

Basically, if I'm spending all this time studying when I'm only going to gain marginally, if at all even, then should I reconsider writing this DAT?

I appreciate the feedback guys, I swear I'm not OCD, I just don't have the resources to seek this advice other than a select few knowledgeable people. SD.net is here to save my ass!:thumbup:

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know anything about what your asking, but I thought i'd let you know that the University of Arizona doesn't have a dental school

Im a Canadian, speaking from experience.

You have a very strong GPA and DAT score.

You will certainly get many interviews at the schools you want to apply to if you apply early.

I say your chances are good for admission. However, writing the American DAT will certainly make you even more competitive. Schools can get a better overall evaluation with American DAT.

If your not picky as to which school you go to, I would apply with what you have. If you are really fighting towards some of the better schools on your list (ie, Penn and Columbia) I would go ahead and write the American DAT.

My 2 cents.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im a Canadian, speaking from experience.

You have a very strong GPA and DAT score.

You will certainly get many interviews at the schools you want to apply to if you apply early.

I say your chances are good for admission. However, writing the American DAT will certainly make you even more competitive. Schools can get a better overall evaluation with American DAT.

If your not picky as to which school you go to, I would apply with what you have. If you are really fighting towards some of the better schools on your list (ie, Penn and Columbia) I would go ahead and write the American DAT.

My 2 cents.

(im not familiar with UIllinois or the schools in Arizona - you may want to check if they accept Canadian DAT - i know for sure the other schools you mentioned do)

Also, check predents.com for international applicants to get an idea of where Canadians have got in, and with what stats...

...writing the American DAT will certainly make you even more competitive. Schools can get a better overall evaluation with American DAT.
I'm Canadian but I was recommended by a fellow applicant to take the Canadian DAT, because Canadian DAT can be used for both Canadian and American dental schools. I guess it's actually better to use the American DAT if you want to go to American school?

I'm Canadian but I was recommended by a fellow applicant to take the Canadian DAT, because Canadian DAT can be used for both Canadian and American dental schools. I guess it's actually better to use the American DAT if you want to go to American school?

Only a few American schools take the Canadian DAT.

If you took your DAT in 2007 I'm not sure if schools will consider it. I don't think your DAT can be more than 2 years old, so you should double check that. I'm a Canadian and I took both the Canadian and the American DAT. The American DAT was a lot harder in my opinion because of the computer based Reading comprehension and the Quantitative reasoning section. I think American schools like you to have the American DAT because its just easier for them to compare you to the rest of the american applicants. My 2 cents.

I am canadian attending MWU in arizona and know that it only accepts the US DAT, which can be taken in Canada. I am not sure whether the other dental school accepts canadian DAT's but they are very service oriented and aimed at training dentists to work in hospitals I think. I wouldn't apply there. Apply to MWU using a American DAT if you are interested in Arizona. Hopefully this helps.

Hey everyone, I would greatly appreciate some input,

I want to know if I should write the American DAT...

Only Canadians say "write" a test, Americans say "take" a test.

I know this doesn't matter, but a Canadian told me that the other day.