as a career, can one work as family doc. in county hospitals/clinics and NOT HMO, PPO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to be far removed from adminsistrative paperwork as possible. I would also love to work with people who normally don't have access to healthcare because I would be able to relate to them given some experiences my family went through. Can one practice family medicine in government/county funded clinics as a career. My impression is that many of the docs that do work in such hospitals/ clinics have their own private practice outside and do some part-time work in such county facilities. The vast majority of docs also work under some managed care policy like an HMO or PPO. So do long-term, full-time positions in county clinics exist? Sorry if my questions sounds naive.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes- the prison population is one of those "types" of government funded "clinics" where there is little administrative paperwork (you do still have to keep accurate medical records!).

The American Indian population and military are others that come to mind.

Medicine needs more people like you! In fact, if you are committed to working in an underserved area, you can get your entire tuition paid for by the government--a fine deal for those that are interested!

I just read a good article about practicing in Alaska, it was in this months issue of Physicians Practice- put out by MCG.
try- www.physicianspractice.com.

You could also check out the classifieds in the last issue of JAMA- they're looking for physicians to goto the Anarctic :).....lets not mention that the last two were Medicav'd out......for Breast Ca and Pancreatitis :eek:

You might look into an organization that has a "large group practice" model. No private practice headaches, the corporation takes care of administrative stuff, and you would still work in a site in an underserved community. The hospital where I work uses this model.