As a DO, what are my chances for DR/IR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SW0LDIER

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'll try to keep this short. I'm an OMS-III. I got a 245 on step 1. My educational background is a master's and bachelor's in biomedical engineering. I have decent research under my belt in a variety of fields - one radiology paper in the pipeline (second author).

My interest in a specialty largely revolves around tech, procedures, and at least an OKAY lifestyle. IR/DR naturally fell into place, specifically IR. Colleague of mine told me to essentially give up on integrated IR due to being a DO and that I should aim for ESIR or just an IR fellowship after DR.

What are my chances of landing a decent residency spot in either-or?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I'll try to keep this short. I'm an OMS-III. I got a 245 on step 1. My educational background is a master's and bachelor's in biomedical engineering. I have decent research under my belt in a variety of fields - one radiology paper in the pipeline (second author).

My interest in a specialty largely revolves around tech, procedures, and at least an OKAY lifestyle. IR/DR naturally fell into place, specifically IR. Colleague of mine told me to essentially give up on integrated IR due to being a DO and that I should aim for ESIR or just an IR fellowship after DR.

Thank you so much!
I think NRMP should have at least some relevant data for DOs in their "Charting Outcomes in the Match for U.S. Osteopathic Medical Students and Graduates":

Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

I'm a medical student (MD) so I have no idea what your chances are, but why don't you just apply to both? There's no downside to trying. It's relatively easy to apply both, and it's accepted by PDs. (Ie from what I know, they don't care if you'd rather do integrated IR and are using DR as a backup.) And you can use the same letters and the same research is good for both.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

Thank you so much!
@DrfluffyMD said that "10 DOs matched to IR out of a total of 125 spots" this past cycle. Probably need to get an IR mentor, and get your name out there. Was this "colleague" of yours also going for IR? I don't think you should give up at all.

It's not necessarily DO friendly. Having personally know one of those 10 matches, that person got in due to extreme merit. They would have gone to ACGME ortho or derm.

While we're on this subject, what is the status of IR residencies if you are matching in 2018? I figure the best option would be to do ESIR through a DR program because at least you can "fall back" on DR if you realize IR isn't your cup of tea. But I have heard conflicting reports on the status of these fellowships once 2020 rolls around?

UICOMP (University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria) is DO friendly and has an excellent program. They also work with our Jump Sim Center which has strong engineering/biomed ties. Feel free to PM if u have questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I can tell you from experience you should not give up. Go for it. I matched IR/DR as a DO. Like already stated, you always have DR to fall back on so there is really no reason not to shoot for it.

I can tell you from experience you should not give up. Go for it. I matched IR/DR as a DO. Like already stated, you always have DR to fall back on so there is really no reason not to shoot for it.
Could you provide us with your stats/research and whether you matched DR or ESIR or direct IR? thanks

Could you provide us with your stats/research and whether you matched DR or ESIR or direct IR? thanks

In general, IR/DR means integrated IR/DR. ESIR is something you apply into after you've already started DR residency.