Medical As a family medicine physician is it possible to do a radiology residency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Family Practice Doctor, who is looking to switch to diagnostic Radiology. So far, I have done four years of training which has been verified. One year Traditional Rotating Internship (Osteopathy) and three years in ACGME Family Medicine program. I am currently a practicing physician. Previously when I was having a personal and family problems, I was unable to complete a TRI and IM residency. In these trainings, I had total of 6+8 = 14 months of training used. Is it possible to do a Radiology residency given my circumstances and background. Any positive feedback will be appreciated.
Each program will take into consideration your training to determine how much can count toward the preliminary year for advanced diagnostic radiology programs.

Members don't see this ad.

You're asking 2 different questions here. One in the title and one in the actual post.

1. GME funding - Misunderstood by almost everyone, including most PDs and many GME offices. If you match into another residency program, you will have decreased, not NO, funding. It will be on the order of 60-80% of what the institution would get for a fresh grad without prior training. And since many institutions are well over their CMS GME funding anyway, it will likely be a minimal to non-existent issue, again, assuming the PD and GME office understand how funding works and don't just cash the checks.

2. Prior training - Rads reuires a prelim year. It can be in anything. Most do IM, GS or a TY. You've completed an entire FM residency. You're fine.

Wouldn’t the OP have to wait a year anyway if they didn’t match categorical?
There are A programs and R programs. R programs start immediately, A programs start a year later. A Cat program would be a waste of another intern year.

Good news is the OP qualifies for either, and had a job (presumably) already to help pass the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.