as a foreign pathologist in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vesalius3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm from Hungary (EU), currently studying in MedSchool (3rd year) and my aim is to get a work in the US as a pathologist. My question is: do I have to take all steps of the USMLE to start a residency in pathology or is the European MD degree accepted in this case? I'm not sure in it, as well as pathologists are not involved directly in patient care - that's why I'm asking.
Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I'm from Hungary (EU), currently studying in MedSchool (3rd year) and my aim is to get a work in the US as a pathologist. My question is: do I have to take all steps of the USMLE to start a residency in pathology or is the European MD degree accepted in this case? I'm not sure in it, as well as pathologists are not involved directly in patient care - that's why I'm asking.
Thank You

Clinical pathologists are required to have the same licensing as other physicians. Therefore, yes you will need to graduate from the school you are currently at and do well on all usmle step exams.

Also do a few rotations at pathology programs before you apply in the US will help.