As a non-traditional student, is it worth waiting an extra year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brian9090

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with my bachelor in Civil Engineering this past May and I am now trying to work my way to medical school, so I am taking O-chem 1, and immunology, and cell bio this semester, and in spring, i am planning to take biochem, ochem 2, and A&P, I had some volunteering time back in my junior year, but really now i am starting to have regular volunteering hours going (local ER+a clinic for undeserved community), also started doing basic research with a professor in Aug. Now i am planning to do an EMT or CNA class in January, so hopefully I can get a job to make up some clinical experience...

So, my question is , should I just wait for another year to apply in 2016 instead of applying next year? My thinking is, why rush if I feel like having more time to prepare? Does anyone feel like I am little rushing it if I try to get everything done by next summer and turning in my application?

Another factor is my cGPA from my engineering degree is 3.2, so i am guessing if I work hard for a couple semester the GPA will go on to 3.4 (but the GPA goes up very slow now with a large amount of credits I have taken), so maybe a couple more semesters can help me on GPA too?

Thanks for your opinions!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your GPA is going to be more of an issue than anything else you've mentioned. I would definitely try and take extra time and raise it as much as you can. If I were you I would create an Excel sheet and play around with what your GPA might look like by earning certain grades in certain classes. Calculate out best and worst case scenarios and go from there.

By the way, I took an extra year of undergrad to boost my GPA (which worked out very well for me), and then took several years off after graduating before applying to medical school. I'm an m2 now, and I'm really glad I took that extra time. I think it made me a much stronger applicant, and I was able to really enjoy my free time and do a lot of non-school related things I really wanted to do before starting.

Reactions: 1 user
I think your GPA is going to be more of an issue than anything else you've mentioned. I would definitely try and take extra time and raise it as much as you can. If I were you I would create an Excel sheet and play around with what your GPA might look like by earning certain grades in certain classes. Calculate out best and worst case scenarios and go from there.

By the way, I took an extra year of undergrad to boost my GPA (which worked out very well for me), and then took several years off after graduating before applying to medical school. I'm an m2 now, and I'm really glad I took that extra time. I think it made me a much stronger applicant, and I was able to really enjoy my free time and do a lot of non-school related things I really wanted to do before starting.

Do you mind me asking how old were you when you got matriculated in medical school? And that's what I been telling myself too, i would rather wait another year to make myself a better applicant than rushing it just to "apply" as a mediocre applicants right? I feel like I am just getting anxious seeing a lot of friends who graduated with me this year either have started their career or got into medical school already, and i turned down the job as a project engineer back in June just because it would stop me from pursuing medical school I think, whether it is a right or wrong decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind me asking how old were you when you got matriculated in medical school? And that's what I been telling myself too, i would rather wait another year to make myself a better applicant than rushing it just to "apply" as a mediocre applicants right? I feel like I am just getting anxious seeing a lot of friends who graduated with me this year either have started their career or got into medical school already, and i turned down the job as a project engineer back in June just because it would stop me from pursuing medical school I think, whether it is a right or wrong decision.

I turned 26 at the beginning of first year. I know what you mean about watching friends start their careers, but it's just something you have to deal with when you go into medicine. This field definitely requires that you are okay with delayed gratification. If it's something you're really interested in, it will be worth it in the end.

Also for what it's worth, I think the average age of matriculants at my school is ~25, which I think is pretty common.

I'm also waiting to apply in 2016. Before I decided, I was in a rush and was always worried about applying. I will be 23 when I graduate with my undergrad so by the time I would hopefully start med school, I will be 25. It took some time for me to come to terms with that, but why rush? All of my classmates are applying in 2015 and I see how stressed they are. Right now, I feel more relaxed knowing that by waiting an extra year, my application will be much stronger when I do apply. Also, I believe I will have more time to experience life outside of school and medicine before I dedicate my life to it. Don't apply if your not ready. So for now, get your grades up while getting some more experience.

OP- roll over to the non-trad forum if you want some more perspective. We've got lots of folks in their late-20s and 30s applying to/starting med school.
You want to do this whole process once and only once, which means you need to do it right the first time.
So don't be in a self-induced rush that'll force you to repeat.
You still need clinical experience and volunteering (research is good, but optional) in addition to bumping your gpa, so don't be afraid to take an extra year (or more) to prep for this.

I turned 26 at the beginning of first year. I know what you mean about watching friends start their careers, but it's just something you have to deal with when you go into medicine. This field definitely requires that you are okay with delayed gratification. If it's something you're really interested in, it will be worth it in the end.

Also for what it's worth, I think the average age of matriculants at my school is ~25, which I think is pretty common.

Well said, I like the "delayed gratification" , i just need to hear that from other people and try to remind myself I am not just sitting here doing nothing :)

I'm also waiting to apply in 2016. Before I decided, I was in a rush and was always worried about applying. I will be 23 when I graduate with my undergrad so by the time I would hopefully start med school, I will be 25. It took some time for me to come to terms with that, but why rush? All of my classmates are applying in 2015 and I see how stressed they are. Right now, I feel more relaxed knowing that by waiting an extra year, my application will be much stronger when I do apply. Also, I believe I will have more time to experience life outside of school and medicine before I dedicate my life to it. Don't apply if your not ready. So for now, get your grades up while getting some more experience.

Ha...I am feeling exactly how you felt, just that anxiety of getting through the "finish line"....I am still working on trying to convince myself that sometime taking it easy in life really may be the best thing I could done to myself. Honestly though, the feeling is like totally different before and after graduating. I felt even more pressure now when I am graduated, but you are right...WHY RUSH? :)

OP- roll over to the non-trad forum if you want some more perspective. We've got lots of folks in their late-20s and 30s applying to/starting med school.
You want to do this whole process once and only once, which means you need to do it right the first time.
So don't be in a self-induced rush that'll force you to repeat.
You still need clinical experience and volunteering (research is good, but optional) in addition to bumping your gpa, so don't be afraid to take an extra year (or more) to prep for this.

That's what I told my parents about why I want to wait. I think it is much tougher if I have to go through the grueling process twice.....Thanks for reassuring me on deciding to wait is not all that bad.

Took 3 years off and it was great. Also I was busier in my post-bacc than I am during M1.