As a nontrad postbac, how many upper level bio courses should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how many upper level bio courses I should take as a nontrad postbac?

My original plan was to just do the pre-reqs and then just biochem and human phys, because both are good MCAT prep as well. Would only 2 upper level bio courses suffice for most MD/DO adcoms, or will it raise any flags? I am a nontrad doing a DIY postbac while working part-time and volunteering so maybe that matters too?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how many upper level bio courses I should take as a nontrad postbac?

My original plan was to just do the pre-reqs and then just biochem and human phys, because both are good MCAT prep as well. Would only 2 upper level bio courses suffice for most MD/DO adcoms, or will it raise any flags? I am a nontrad doing a DIY postbac while working part-time and volunteering so maybe that matters too?

Thanks!!
What matters the most is how your GPAs look. If you have low cGPA and/or sGPA, you probably want to take as many upper level sciences as you can and get A's in them all. If you have strong GPAs as it is, you could get away with only taking the pre reqs and nothing more as long as you do well on them.

What matters the most is how your GPAs look. If you have low cGPA and/or sGPA, you probably want to take as many upper level sciences as you can and get A's in them all. If you have strong GPAs as it is, you could get away with only taking the pre reqs and nothing more as long as you do well on them.

I agree with this. If your GPA is good already, just rock the prereqs and the MCAT. If your GPA is not strong then you might want to take some more upper level science to emphasize your academic turnaround.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, I actually think you guys posted on some earlier threads of mine.

Define "good GPA"..in undergrad, my first 2 years sucked, my last 2 years rocked, and assuming I get all A's in my postbac, I'll have almost 4 solid years of all A's, and all A's in the sciences, for a AMCAS science and cumulative GPA of around 3.4-3.5.

In my informal post-bacc I did the minimum science classes (1 year each of chem / bio / ochem / physics) and I was fine. Interviews at 1/3 of MD applications. I've heard biochem is a prereq now so better include that.

Your 4 year trail of A's plus a good MCAT is exactly what they are looking for. Taking undergraduate molecular biology or something proves nothing new.

Thanks for the replies, I actually think you guys posted on some earlier threads of mine.

Define "good GPA"..in undergrad, my first 2 years sucked, my last 2 years rocked, and assuming I get all A's in my postbac, I'll have almost 4 solid years of all A's, and all A's in the sciences, for a AMCAS science and cumulative GPA of around 3.4-3.5.

I was in a similar situation and I think many ADCOMs looked favorably on my severe upward trend (basically went from ~2.0 to 4.0 in one semester). The main issue you'll encounter is getting your total GPA above a minimum number so that someone will actually look at your application.

Despite what many people say, I think that taking upper levels actually does help a little when it comes to med school. Having even basic knowledge/understanding of med school topics is valuable. If you think you can get As, take any class that is relevant to medicine (immuno/micro, anatomy, physio, etc).

I think you don't need extra high level science aside from your current plan. You sound like you'll be in a good place. 3.4-3.5 is a high enough GPA that you won't get screened out, and your trend will be clear in AMCAS. If you didn't take science as an undergrad your sGPA will be very strong, too.

Outside from the required pre-requisites, some schools suggest genetics, microbiology, immunology, and biochemistry for better preparation for medical school.

It's not an issue. Keep in mind that some non-trade take only the bare minims of pre-reqs. The key thing is that you do well.

Hi guys,

Thanks!!