As a Psych Resident on J1, can I do any ACGME Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I"m Canadian, doing Psych residency in the states on J1 (I started before 2015).

I'm interested in either Sleep Medicine (ACGME) or Pain Medicine (ACGME), 1 year fellowships.

However, I just read on health canada that for psychiatry sub-speciality training:

• All applications for the fields of sub-specialty training indicated on the List will be endorsed. Other fields of sub-specialty training will NOT be endorsed.
  • Please note that many fields of training offer one-year fellowships that can be used to meet the specialty training requirements of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. There is unlimited endorsement of these one-year fellowships.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/cat_b-list-liste-eng.php

So for psychiatry, the only "endorsed" sub-specialty is child psychiatry.

But then it says bellow, for fellowship , for psych:

"The following list is a sample of one-year ACGME accredited fellowships that can be used to meeting the RCPSC Specialty Training Requirements. "

Psychiatry:
  • 1-year ACGME accredited, such as Forensic Psychiatry or Geriatric Psychiatry

So I'm assuming I can do any ACGME fellowship, I'm not only restricted to child psychiatry?

Also, are there quotas for Statement of Need for 1 year psych fellowships?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

• Please note that many fields of training offer one-year fellowships that can be used to meet the specialty training requirements of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. There is unlimited endorsement of these one-year fellowships.

Hey you guys can all standup against this and raise voice against this

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a number of phone calls last year to figure this out. Apparently Canada will provide a J1 for the following subspecialties: child & adolescent, geriatrics, forensics, addictions, and consult & liaison. I was initially told about the first 3 because there are relevant board exams in Canada for those. But I persisted with phone calls to find out more details because I wanted to pursue another subspecialty (sleep or addictions at the time). The credentialing office in Canada was not sure about any others, but after some discussion with others at the office, they ultimately told me that Addictions and Consult & Liaison would be ok as well, but no others.

More accurately put, they said that those are the fellowships which "will be recognized" as a 5th year of training, which is what you need to show that your training is equivalent to Canadian standards (if this is the route you want to take to get back to Canada; there are other ways to get back [ie. J1 Visa waiver and work in the US for awhile]).

So can anyone confirm that it is ok to do Sleep or Pain? They are both 1 Year ACGME fellowships....

I spoke to someone at the credentialing office today regarding other stuff; they verified that Pain would be accepted as well. But no others subspecialties. But I would check annually since I'm sure this will change.