As a reapplicant, does FAP cover school costs again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nejikon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They covered me once, do they cover another 15 when I apply again or do I need to apply for FAP again for them to get covered?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the FAP application lasts for 2 years

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC said:
How many times can I receive Fee Assistance Program benefits?
You may receive a maximum of five (5) Fee Assistance Program awards during your lifetime, so that other examinees may also benefit from this program.

If you apply for and receive fee assistance during two consecutive calendar years, any unused benefits from your first award will expire as soon as your new award is approved.

AAMC said:
Because the Fee Assistance Program benefits can be used from the time awarded through the end of the next calendar year, you will not need to reapply if you want to take the MCAT exam one year and submit an AMCAS application the following year.

Sounds like you have one calendar year to use your benefits, and you have to reapply to use it again (which shouldn't be a problem if you can access the benefits 5X in your lifetime).
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Source:
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/faq/fap-faq/

Last edited:
If your applying D.O. FAP, just remember that is first come first serve so do it early as possible but with that advice be aware that you need to submit your application within a week or some designated period of time I believe if you do receive the FAP credit.

Every single time I see a FAP thread I get pissed that I somehow don't qualify for this bc estranged father makes barely more than the minimum requirements. #beyondsalty

Reactions: 1 user
Every single time I see a FAP thread I get pissed that I somehow don't qualify for this bc estranged father makes barely more than the minimum requirements. #beyondsalty
If it makes you feel better my dad makes 25k for a family of 6..

FAP sucks. Also if you're a CA applicant you're still stuck paying for a lot more schools. the DO fap is even worse, takes forever, and even if you're approved it still manages to screw up so you have to pay somehow.

FAP sucks. Also if you're a CA applicant you're still stuck paying for a lot more schools. the DO fap is even worse, takes forever, and even if you're approved it still manages to screw up so you have to pay somehow.

I realize FAP serves a purpose, but to me the stipulations around it (even though I know they are in place so people don't cheat the system) are such bullsh*t.

Just how AAMC preaches a supposed HOLISTIC review of applicants (part of what that horsesh*t new MCAT is all about), they need to do the same for people's financial situations, life isn't black and white, there is a ton of grey in-between. I am in such a massive amount of credit card debt due to the insane cost of application fees, and if I have to apply again I literally have no idea how I will afford to do so.