As a veterinary school alumni, what are your veterinary school essentials? And should I buy a backpack with lots of pockets or is a simple one enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

808vet

Reaction score
As a veterinary school alumni, what are your veterinary school essentials? And should I buy a backpack with lots of pockets or is a simple one enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I used my same backpack from undergrad and was fine with it and have even used it through clinics. Whatever kind you preferred in undergrad will be fine for vet school. Mine did have like 3 pockets plus 2 water bottle slots, but I didn’t necessarily *need* all those pockets. Some people in my class used the Jansport backpacks and others used a big tote bag. It’s all down to personal preference.

That’s very person specific. I used a tote sized leather purse to carry my laptop and other essentials all four years. My best friend had a giant backpack because she preferred to take handwritten notes and tended to have more “stuff” than I did. Other people had simple backpacks.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your preferences, and what you like to carry around with you.

I carried a binder (wrote notes on pre-typed notes based on the PowerPoints), computer, pencil bag, a water bottle, a coffee mug, and lunch. My heated blanket lived at my spot in the classroom. So I only needed a Jansport that made it through 5 years of vet school.

I just used my backpack from undergrad.

I typically brought my laptop (2-in-1 tablet/laptop that I handwrote notes on top of powerpoint slides in OneNote), my laptop pen, laptop charger, coffee mug, water bottle, food, and a collection of pens/pencils/highlighters/hair elastics/etc. Plus clean coveralls or my lab coat if I had taken it from my locker to do laundry. Only other stuff I had was the pile of winter clothing accessories which typically went in my locker as soon as I got to the building.

It was nice having a smaller pocket so I wouldn't lose my pens and hair elastics to the bottom of my pack. And having a separate laptop compartment was also nice, espeically if my backpack was quite full that day. It really didn't matter a whole lot though.

A good quality coffee cup/thermos that will keep a drink hot for 5+ hours. Comfortable shoes for walking. It's good to get outside when you have spent a lot of time indoors in lecture/lab/ practicals. Wear layers because lecture halls/theaters can be freezing to hot. Avoid the pressure to have the best and most up-to-date technology at all times. Go to a few corporate sponsored presentations for free pens, highlighters, chapstick, etc. I always had cinnamon gum on hand for those times when external speakers were not the best speakers and to avoid falling asleep after many lectures and no breaks. You can't fall asleep when your mouth is burning. Also the school should have an online marketplace to students to sell stuff. You should be able to pick up slightly used boots/ coverall/lab coats/ scrubs at a cheaper price.

Reactions: 1 user
I carried a binder (wrote notes on pre-typed notes based on the PowerPoints), computer, pencil bag, a water bottle, a coffee mug, and lunch. My heated blanket lived at my spot in the classroom. So I only needed a Jansport that made it through 5 years of vet school.
You can have a heated blanket in class?! This just made my life, so excited 🤩

I just used my backpack from undergrad.

I typically brought my laptop (2-in-1 tablet/laptop that I handwrote notes on top of powerpoint slides in OneNote)

What laptop did you use? I currently have a surface book and have wanted to drop kick it out a top floor window so many times. But I really like 2-in-1s

What laptop did you use? I currently have a surface book and have wanted to drop kick it out a top floor window so many times. But I really like 2-in-1s
I don’t have one, but I’ve heard decent things about Lenovo Yogas? I think I’ve also seen some people at uiuc have HP 2 in 1s too

I don’t have one, but I’ve heard decent things about Lenovo Yogas? I think I’ve also seen some people at uiuc have HP 2 in 1s too

The Lenovo yoga is definitely my top choice, but I’m just starting on my research. Haven’t looked into the HPs yet

Some schools require (or at least used to) specific laptops so, personally, I would potentially hold off until you know where you’re going and have their recommendations before buying big ticket items. Just my opinion though.

Some schools require (or at least used to) specific laptops so, personally, I would potentially hold off until you know where you’re going and have their recommendations before buying big ticket items. Just my opinion though.

Thank you. I’m going to Mizzou and will definitely stick to their specs. Luckily they’re pretty lax. But there’s a ton on the market, each with their special quirks about them. Sadly the quirks on my surface book caused more problems than not so I’m hoping to avoid that with my next purchase

I had a Lenovo Yoga which was good for about a year and then I had a lot of issues with it and it died entirely right at the beginning of third year. I would never get another one.

My current one since then is a Dell Inspiron (I think it was this one anyway). It has its own set of issues but it’s been much less of a hassle for me overall than the Yoga.

As far as laptops go, I just want to say that personally I wish I had spent less on laptop because it stopped holding a charge in like... 2nd year even though I spent a fair amount money for what I thought was a decent one (cannot remember what it was offhand but it was an HP something). By 4th year it was incredibly slow and I was anxious about whether it would survive to the end. At least if I'd bought a cheaper one, I wouldn't have felt as anxious about replacing it. And now that I've graduated I use a desktop anyways.

I have a yoga I've used for the last five years and really like it. I'm usually quite rough on laptops and I actually think it's the longest lasting one I've had, and love the tablet combo for writing and drawing. Just to add to the chorus of back and forth.

Thank you. I’m going to Mizzou and will definitely stick to their specs. Luckily they’re pretty lax. But there’s a ton on the market, each with their special quirks about them. Sadly the quirks on my surface book caused more problems than not so I’m hoping to avoid that with my next purchase
Not sure if you want to avoid the Surface series all together but, I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 in April 2019 and (knock on wood) I really haven't had a single problem since. It has enough storage, battery power, speed, and can run all of my school-required software (Examsoft and all Microsoft applications). I personally love it but I'd totally understand if you're looking to get away from it. I actually did convince my roommate to buy the 7 and she has had some problems and hers is only 1.5 years old..so I guess it really depends what cards you're dealt.

I have had a Surface Pro 4 bought as a refurb in July 2016 and it's been fine since then. I wish I had a bigger screen however

I bet the thread has moved on from the topic of backpacks and I don’t have time to read, but I vote fewer little pockets the better. A couple bigger compartments. Omg the number of **** I lose in all the small pockets of even my laptop bag is unreal. I just cleaned it out and it was like unpacking a time capsule. So many envelopes from the DEA and licensing boards (I’m at least organized enough to take the actual lincenses and put it somewhere safe). Soooo many headphones in multiple pockets with ear pieces in other ones. A couple extra clean pairs of undies for safety. Also found enough rando dollar bills I’m super excited I might be able to buy something next time I’m hungry and walk by a vending machine.

The real reason why I cleaned out my bag was because I was out of contacts and I figured I would fine an extra pair in there. I found 3.

I dunno maybe this is just me. Hot mess. But if you can relate, don’t get bags with too many pockets. It will turn into a black hole that will later become a treasure trove.

Reactions: 3 users
I also have a love hate relationship with my surface book haha