As copro nears the end of residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dudes/Dudettes:

Advice forthcoming...

(1) Log your cases early (daily is best). This will really screw you up, if you don't keep up with it. You'll lose cases if you try to log them even a month later. Trust me.

(2) Listen, look, learn (obvious) and take a lot of notes. Get some 4x6 cards and when you do a case write the attending surgeons name at the top, the type of case (eg. a shoulder arthroscopy) and what their preference is for that case. If you show up and have everything good to go, you will get noticed positively. Having the surgeon on your side is gold.

(3) Demand specifics. I mean this in all aspects of your residency. When some attending tells you "this is the only way to do this", ask them to justify it. What else have they tried? What about other ways? Don't settle for absolutism. There are many ways to climb a mountain. Likewise, if someone gives you performance feedback, tell them to give you specific information about what you did well and how, and what you could've done better and how. Don't settle for "you're a nice guy/gal and you did good" or "your performance wasn't up to par." Make them tell you (a) how it was above/below average, (b) what you could've done better, and (c) a plan for continuing/improving your performance (eg., reading, practice in the sim lab, etc.). Review your daily performance evaluations and sign them that day, with comments included as to whether or not you agree to their assessment and why. Be diplomatic.

(4) Manage your time, manage your attendings. Start studying for the boards early, early, early. You cannot start early enough. Your ISTE scores matter to the program, despite what anyone might tell you. You need to show steady improvement throughout your residency, or you're going to be doing a lot of explaining to your PD... and you will be playing a lot of catch-up at the end trying to master the partition coeffecients of enflurane. With regards to your attendings, make them teach you. You'll quickly figure out who are going to be the best people to get info from, and just start asking them a lot of questions everytime you work with them. Likewise, you're likely to identify (as MilMD calls them) a few "assassins" in your program. Interfere with their ability to screw up the case to the best of your ability, especially as you get more senior. Manage your attendings.

(5) Nip conflict in-the-bud early on. Again, demand specifics if someone files a complaint, which (if you are even a teenie-tiny bit controversial, like myself) will inevitably happen. Learn how to effectively manage other people. Don't b*tch out loud in front of people. This will only make enemies and turn people off. If someone complains about you formally in writing, take your time when you read their complaint and stay cool. Respond in writing, and use email as your documentation tool. If you notice something problematic with a particular nurse who is immediately nasty or whatever the first time you meet him/her, email your program director and the unit head nurse pre-emptively. That way if the person subsequently complains about you, the effect will be diluted if you've pre-emptively put management on notice. WARNING: You cannot cry wolf. This will not work if you email concerns about every single nurse on a unit. You will be seen only as a cry-baby and complainer who can't work as a team-player. Save this tactic for the nurse/ancillary person who is notoriously a resident-buster and that everyone has forewarned you about. If you use this tactic, it's amazing how effective it is when you look that trouble maker in the face and tell them off.

(6) Give your program feedback. Most programs, believe it or not, want to do better by the residents. They can't (or won't) always accomodate all requests, but if the residents are cohesive and unified as a group, and present reasonable requests, then usually the program will work to accomodate them. The key is to have good solidarity with your residents. You guys are in it together, and you should work towards being each other's best friends. If you have that solidarity, and you notice negative things (or positive things), tell your program and they will probably work towards helping you guys out. If you are not perceived as being cohesive, it'll be easier to take advantage of you and ignore your complaints/suggestions.

That's about it. The big stuff. I'm pretty much checked-out by now. Probably will be spending a lot less time on this forum as I get ready for the August written boards. But, will check in from time to time. Good luck to everyone.

-copro

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice! I especially like #5... that will definitely come in handy for me!:thumbup:

Good luck on your boards!

Easier said than done but good advice none the less.
I hope you'll find the time to drop some attending pearls once you finish residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, nip conflict in the bud. Even if that sometimes means squashing your opponent.

Thanks for reading! This advice, if I do say so myself, is gold.

-copro

These are the kind of posts that make this the best forum on SDN, and make it worthwhile to wade through all the political garbage. Thanks!

What political garbage? :rofl:

That's not public information. Suffice it to say... Northeast, private practice.

-copro

What happened, *edited by mod* didn't want to offer you a staff position?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not public information

Relax egomaniac - just asking.

The arrogance of people on this forumn is comical sometimes. As if anyone gives a s hit about what you do or who you really are. Just trying to make small talk man - its nice to hear what different career paths we all take as we graduate in this community. Good luck dude - try not to take yourself so seriously.

As a general rule, when someone starts a thread referring to themself in the third person, you can expect them to be a large douche.

Relax egomaniac - just asking.

The arrogance of people on this forumn is comical sometimes. As if anyone gives a s hit about what you do or who you really are. Just trying to make small talk man - its nice to hear what different career paths we all take as we graduate in this community. Good luck dude - try not to take yourself so seriously.

As a general rule, when someone starts a thread referring to themself in the third person, you can expect them to be a large douche.

So would you then consider JPP a douche? He's probably the most frequent abuser of the third person.

I'm sure copro's pissed off a large number of people on several occasions. Like him or not, I've found the best posters here have an ability to ruffle some feathers.

Bottom line, in this thread, he provided some very good advice to anesthesia residents. If you find the need to dump on him, there is no shortage of threads to choose a side and go head to head. He's not exactly a stranger around here. Try arguing on topics instead of character assaults.

As for me, I'll take my advice from anyone willing to give it. Right now, I don't see you spilling forth fountains of knowledge.

So would you then consider JPP a douche? He's probably the most frequent abuser of the third person.

I'm sure copro's pissed off a large number of people on several occasions. Like him or not, I've found the best posters here have an ability to ruffle some feathers.

Bottom line, in this thread, he provided some very good advice to anesthesia residents. If you find the need to dump on him, there is no shortage of threads to choose a side and go head to head. He's not exactly a stranger around here. Try arguing on topics instead of character assaults.

As for me, I'll take my advice from anyone willing to give it. Right now, I don't see you spilling forth fountains of knowledge.

Your entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine. And my comment did not stray from the direction the thread was going. If you want to defend someone against character assaults though, you should pick someone who hasn't made a habit of firing character assaults at everyone he disagrees with.

I take the field seriously. If I don't know a particular area very well, I'm not going to "spill forth fountains of knowledge." I'll ask questions when I have some, and I'll give my two-cents when I think I have something to contribute. My prerogative.

I like Jet's posts, and whether I like his syntax or not, he seems like a good, reasonable guy. I doubt he's a douche. Doesn't change my feeling, though, that most people who refer to themselves in the third person are tools. That' probably why most people don't do it.

I have to say that I am a corpo fan. He regularly makes posts that deserved to be stickied. And I think he realizes that this is an anonymous internet forum where you can post your true opinions about whatever you feel like. If what he posts offends you, then don't read it!