ASC Negotiations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inspire004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I negotiate partnership in a local ASC. I am thinking of moving out is office setup to asc. This asc has 4 partners /10 non prts. 2 days a week they have no cases. Not willing to show books. They have pain guys who do 1 case per week. Few spine and ortho guys bring cases 3 days. I have a feeling some old partners are in admin position and shaving the cream. Anyone shares an excel sheet or real numbers to negotiate the shares to ask if they open partnership options. Don’t plan to move my cases to asc without partnership equity.

Members don't see this ad.

How do I negotiate partnership in a local ASC. I am thinking of moving out is office setup to asc. This asc has 4 partners /10 non prts. 2 days a week they have no cases. Not willing to show books. They have pain guys who do 1 case per week. Few spine and ortho guys bring cases 3 days. I have a feeling some old partners are in admin position and shaving the cream. Anyone shares an excel sheet or real numbers to negotiate the shares to ask if they open partnership options. Don’t plan to move my cases to asc without partnership equity.

Why do you want to leave the office set up?

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously better pay for my time and better quality with anesthesia care

Members don't see this ad :)
Reality check...pain procedures are going to be pushed to less expensive office settings eventually. Unless these guys are out of network, which they must be based on what you describe, why wouldn’t you just stay in office? If you are looking to ride the gravy train, don’t count on tranaparency from them, and if you partner with them just know you are probably “at risk”

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks ice, i feel like i am missing out on asc payments and whole of Asipps is about asc set up and most of the teaching and so called self proclaimed masters are in th asc space.

Thanks ice, i feel like i am missing out on asc payments and whole of Asipps is about asc set up and most of the teaching and so called self proclaimed masters are in th asc space.
You’re not missing out unless there is out of network payments being made to these guys. If there is, you could be but they are seemingly only wanting to keep the pot to themselves. There are no masters who can’t do these procedure in an office..if they need the patients to be asleep they are masters of nothing. Asc used to mean big money back in the day. In some geographic locales it still may but it’s going to end soon. I would not waste the revenue you can continue to get with in office procedures on a dream of an asc pot of gold.

Have you run a pro-forma on office vs ASC factoring travel time, sunk costs, etc?

I am making one. I can plug the revenue side of the number of procedures I can bring in 2 day they have OR time. Mind you it will cut into my office procedure revenue. But can’t figure the expense side of those 2 days and over all partnership options. Those are the projections I am trying to understand better. Currents each day I do about 14 - 16 procedures. If I get a lesser professional fee, how many shares will it alteast gives me 20% return on my ASC investment to buy in.

I am making one. I can plug the revenue side of the number of procedures I can bring in 2 day they have OR time. Mind you it will cut into my office procedure revenue. But can’t figure the expense side of those 2 days and over all partnership options. Those are the projections I am trying to understand better. Currents each day I do about 14 - 16 procedures. If I get a lesser professional fee, how many shares will it alteast gives me 20% return on my ASC investment to buy in.

One problem you might have is that you'll have diluted influence in managing overhead costs at the ASC.

you cant get ownership percentage based on the number of cases you do.
You have to buy shares that are available if you and your group don't want to get indicted

you cant get ownership percentage based on the number of cases you do.
You have to buy shares that are available if you and your group don't want to get indicted
The reverse is, they like us to bring cases on good faith and all the share holders make a cut on that profit from day 1 but if we work and bring profits for 2-3 yrs then buying shares is allowed and it’s higher regulated again for physician.

Welcome to the supply demand philosophy of asc finaces and laws governing the share holder regulations and distributions

I love the way these laws are written. Are there any laws precluding disclosing asc finaces for a possible share holder negotiations.

I come from finace background, are there and sec like regulator bodies

What procedures do I take to ASC instead of doing them in office. Any solo office pain guys negotiating a higher global fee with payers similar to asc

What procedures do I take to ASC instead of doing them in office. Any solo office pain guys negotiating a higher global fee with payers similar to asc

yes, this is where you have some leverage with private payers

stim trials
facet RFs
sympathetic blocks
anyone who wants sedation for a simple block

the best way to become a partner in the center is to bring lots of cases there, if they have two open days per week, i would put at least 5 cases on each day. do that for a year and you will have there attention when you threaten to leave and bring everything to a competitor.

it will either work out that you have enough cases needing to go to the center that they will make you partner

or you will realize that you rarely need the center and sedation and its not worth it to woo them, just do your own thing in the office