ASCP Clinical Compendium COMPANION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here is the most up to date collection of errata, corrections, etc. for the Companion to the Quick Compendium of Clinical Pathology. As always suggestions/comments are welcome. Thanks again to all who have contributed, especially deschutes, Nilf, 112641, rodak, and Gyric.

Chapter 1

1. answer should read "Rate of enzyme activity varies linearly with substrate concentration UNTIL enzyme is fully saturated.”

* 23. should be "in vivo half life" instead of in vitro.

29. There are two Cs in the answer choices. (print only)

43. Choices A and D are identical; it's not really a mistake because both serous cystadenomas and solid-cystic tumors have identical amylase/CEA/CA19-9 pattern, but it's unusual to have two identical answer choices. Also extra “A” in question (at least online version)

78. 'hyperparthyroidism' should be “hyperparathyroidism”.

83. Choice B and the explanation. pH of 7.0. Everywhere pH 7.0 is (in both the question (choices B and C) and the explanation) it should be replaced by pH 7.40, such as “the general range is 7.40 to 7.44“

98. explanation: 'rhabomyolysis' should be “rhabdomyolysis”

143. The explanation states: 'The legal limits (of ethanol) vary by state, but are typically in the range of 0.8-1.0%” should say “.08-0.1%”

146. The math is wrong. The answer should be 140x2 + 10/2.5 + 180/18 = 294. Change choice E in the question stem and answer to 294 mOsm/L and correct the misplaced decimal point in the formula, which should state “..”180/18” rather than “180/1.8”.

179. Last word of answer explanation should be months not weeks.

184. Choice B should read “classical symptoms of diabetes and casual plasma glucose greater than 150 mg/dL.”

206. answer explanation "Normetanephrine is metabolized to normetanephrine" should read “norepinephrine is metabolized to normetanephrine”.

209. 'Hyperthyroidism' in the question stem should be replaced with 'hypothyroidism'.

Chapter 2

67. explanation states: 'While both Factor V and Factor VII are labile in vitro, Factor VII is most labile in vivo.' It should say: 'While both Factor V and Factor VIII are labile in vitro, Factor VII is most labile in vivo.'

79. Which of the following indications is an appropriate usage of irradiated products?
A. cellular products to immunocompromised hosts
B. granulocyte concentrates to prevent neutropenic sepsis
C. prevention of alloimmunization in platelets
D. red blood cells to prevent CMV transmission
E. red blood cells to prevent recurrent febrile nonhemolytic transfusion reactions

A. cellular products to immunocompromised hosts.
The only clear indication for irradiation is to prevent transfusion-associated graft v. host disease. By irradiating white blood cells, they are rendered incapable of engrafting in an immunocompromised host. Irradiated products do not prevent CMV transmission, alloimmunization, or recurrent febrile non-hemolytic transfusion reactions, like leukoreduction does. Furthermore, while irradiation of granulocyte products is indicated to prevent graft v. host the irradiation does not prevent sepsis directly.

Chapter 3

39. Choice B in the question should be “E. coli” rather than “gram negative anaerobes”. Also the online answer lacks the complete answer. It should state “C. N. meningitidis”.

53. explanation should read "Coag-negative staph"

71. question stem should have 'except'.

* 91. in explanation, answer reads "B. the period between the disappearance of HBsAg and appearance of HBcAb.", but should read "... appearance of HBsAb"

* 181. question should be reworded from:

Which of the following dematiaceous molds is responsible for chromoblastomycosis?
A. Fonseca
B. Phialophora
C. Cladosporiom
D. Wangiella
E. Exophiala

to:

Which of the following dematiaceous molds is responsible for chromoblastomycosis?

A. Fonseca
B. Phialophora
C. Cladosporium
D. A & B
E. A, B, C

also, in the explanation "dematiaceous" is misspelled.

* 187. The question should read "Which of the following stains the cell wall of cryptococcus?"

* 196. The explanation should be changed to:

B. white.

MacConkey agar is both selective for gram-negative organisms and differential for lactose fermenters v. non-lactose fermenters. The lactose non-fermenters appear as white colonies, and include organisms such as Pseudomonas, Serratia, and Burkholderia

* 229. question: "What is the optimal growth temperature for Pseudomonas?" should be changed to "Growth at which of the following temperatures helps differentiate Pseudomonas aeruginosa" from most other species of Pseudomonas? and the explanation should be changed to:
"Pseudomonas aeruginosa can grow at a temperature that would induce the expression of heat-shock proteins in most other bacteria. Despite the wide temperature growth range for Pseudomonas, P. putida and P. fluorescens will not grow at 42°C."

Chapter 4

* 74. Question choice A "--/-alpha" should be "--/alpha alpha"

* 75. Question choice C "lot Hct" should be "low Hct"

* 98. Explanation reads "...coated with antibodies rather than delivered to ..." and should be changed to "...coated with antibodies then delivered to..."

* 112. Explanation reads "...as neutropenia with affecting lymphocyte production..." and should be changed to "...as neutropenia without affecting lymphocyte production..." Also, Kostmann is misspelled as "Kostmannn" throughout the explanation (at least in the electronic version).

Chapter 5

43. type 2N is best considered autosomal recessive, not dominant, as the answer indicates. The correct answer should be A. autosomal recessive and the explanation should reflect that, i.e. the last word in the answer explanation should be “recessive”.

Chapter 6

50. explanation should read "All are associated with drug-induced lupus, which in turn is highly associated with anti-nuclear and anti-histone antibodies.

51. last line of explanation should read "activate cellular immunity", rather than “active cellular immunity”.

Chapter 7

* 25. Answer written as "B. 85%." should be "C. 85%"

* 45. Explanation is confusing. It reads "Birt-Hogg-Dube is not associated with pseudohermaphroditism and renal tumors, but Denys-Drash syndrome is.", but is probably better stated as "Birt-Hogg-Dube is not associated with the combination of pseudohermaphroditism and renal tumors, but Denys-Drash syndrome is.", since BHD is associated with renal tumors, but not associated with pseudohermaphroditism.

* 60. Explanation reads "...with Ewing sarcoma is t(11;22)(q24;a12)." and should read "...with Ewing sarcoma is t(11;22)(q24;q12)."

* 63. In the answer "Beckwith-Weidemann" should be spelled "Beckwith-Wiedemann"

* 65. The question is wrong. Currently it reads:
Synovial sarcoma is associated with the translocation t(X;18) resulting in a SYT-SSX fusion. Which of the following statements is correct?

A. SYT-SSX2 is associated more with biphasic synovial sarcoma
B. SYT-SSX1 is associated more with monophasic synovial sarcoma
C. SYT-SSX2 is associated more with monophasic synovial sarcoma
D. SYT-SSX1 is associated more with biphasic synovial sarcoma
E. none of the above are true

and should be changed to:

Synovial sarcoma is associated with the translocation t(X;18) resulting in a SYT-SSX fusion. Which of the following statements is correct?

A. SYT-SSX1 is associated more with biphasic synovial sarcoma
B. SYT-SSX2 is associated more with monophasic synovial sarcoma
C. SYT-SSX1 is associated more with monophasic synovial sarcoma
D. A & B
E. A, B, C
and the answer will be "D. A & B." Same explanation.

* 72. Explanation states "Normal (unaffected non-carrier) individuals usually have more than 26 CAG repeats..." but should read "Normal (unaffected non-carrier) individuals usually have less than 26 CAG repeats"

* 125. Explanation states ""loss of parental DNA leads to Prader-Willi" it should be "loss of paternal DNA leads to Prader-Willi"

Geo

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone who has done questions from the Quick Compendium Companion and also taken the CP boards? I am wondering about percentage correct in the Companion and the correlation with success on the boards. (The usual panic before taking the boards.) Thanks!

Is there anyone who has done questions from the Quick Compendium Companion and also taken the CP boards? I am wondering about percentage correct in the Companion and the correlation with success on the boards. (The usual panic before taking the boards.) Thanks!

Not applicable. The companion is designed as a study aid to the compendium. It is best used as a way to go through the compendium a second time after you have read it thoroughly the first time. Both of these books are useful review aids but don't shoot for a certain percentage correct, rather learn from the questions and read the answer explanations.

The CP boards, on the other hand, will seemingly come out of left field and even if you have a good knowledge base you will need to rely on good test taking skills to do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the thread necromancy....

Are there any ebook or kindle editions of these books available somewhere that I'm not finding? They don't seem to be available through amazon.

If not are there any plans to bring one on anytime soon. The reason I ask is that I've run out of the original 3 year license to use the online text through ASCP and would like to use these to study for my pediatric pathology boards. I'm going to use the written versions that I still have of course, but if there is an electronic version upcoming soon I'd be very interested to have that instead of paying all over again just to get the web based text.

Thanks ahead of time!

It would also be nice to have a iphone app for that.

Sorry for the thread necromancy....

Are there any ebook or kindle editions of these books available somewhere that I'm not finding? They don't seem to be available through amazon.

If not are there any plans to bring one on anytime soon. The reason I ask is that I've run out of the original 3 year license to use the online text through ASCP and would like to use these to study for my pediatric pathology boards. I'm going to use the written versions that I still have of course, but if there is an electronic version upcoming soon I'd be very interested to have that instead of paying all over again just to get the web based text.

Thanks ahead of time!

Unfortunately, ideas come way before implementation. I know that the ASCP would like to set about ebooking everything they have. There are some electronic products coming out in the near future, but the Quick Compendium nor Companion are not among them. While technically it's relatively easy the difficulties come with the financials (budgets, margins, etc.) In the short term I know that ASCP is working on a model of reopening the online material to those past the 3 years. Hosting is expensive and they have no way to cover the costs beyond those 3 years (at this time).

Apps, such as for the iPhone or Android are also being discussed. However, those because of the development costs are going to be a little slower to come to market.

Unfortunately, ideas come way before implementation. I know that the ASCP would like to set about ebooking everything they have. There are some electronic products coming out in the near future, but the Quick Compendium nor Companion are not among them. While technically it's relatively easy the difficulties come with the financials (budgets, margins, etc.) In the short term I know that ASCP is working on a model of reopening the online material to those past the 3 years. Hosting is expensive and they have no way to cover the costs beyond those 3 years (at this time).

Apps, such as for the iPhone or Android are also being discussed. However, those because of the development costs are going to be a little slower to come to market.

Well darn.. this is one time I don't like being right. But the books are still great and I've found that as I study I remember how much less painful CP was as a partial result of having these questions to bang through.

Even with the errors, which I take as a sign of being closer to being ready when I start spotting them. I wouldn't encourage errors be peppered in on purpose but this "built in control" is paradoxically handy regardless.