ASDOH and Community Health Centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LNinlove

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am curious if any of you have any knowledge of ASDOH and the Community Health Centers (CHC) program?

It's something that interests me as a predent, and I wanted to know if any of you are involved in the program?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

The most central CHC is located in downtown phoenix. During the summer of 2007 I volunteered there. It's called Central Arizona Shelter Services (CASS) Dental Clinic. It serves underprivileged individuals who are are homeless living in the on-site housing program. It's a life- changing and career focusing experience. I highly recommend you get in there.

Hey everyone, I am curious if any of you have any knowledge of ASDOH and the Community Health Centers (CHC) program?

It's something that interests me as a predent, and I wanted to know if any of you are involved in the program?

Thanks...

Are you talking about 4th year rotations at community health centers?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I am talking about the Hometown endorsement from a leader in a local community health center. This would be something that I would participate in before and during my application to dental school. ASDOH talks about the hometown applicant on their website and I am just curious if it is only for Arizona state residents or anyone and if any of you have participated in it? The way I read it is it's almost like a commitment to working in a community health center upon graduation...

I don't know, maybe I will just call them...

No, I am talking about the Hometown endorsement from a leader in a local community health center. This would be something that I would participate in before and during my application to dental school. ASDOH talks about the hometown applicant on their website and I am just curious if it is only for Arizona state residents or anyone and if any of you have participated in it? The way I read it is it's almost like a commitment to working in a community health center upon graduation...

I don't know, maybe I will just call them...

Refer to my original post. CASS Dental Clinic is an ASDOH CHC. In fact, their 4th years do external rotations there. If you get in and volunteer, you will have the opportunity to get to know the clinic leader and possibly receive a letter or rec from him.

Thank you, I live in Colorado though...so I will be looking for something a little more local....I appreciate your help though...

Did you do this program? If so, how did it work out for you?

I contacted CASS independently and was able to gain valuable experience. I highly recommend volunteering in an underprivileged dental clinic. I believe it was an aspect of my application that aided me in my acceptance.