Asian/Indian People and DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbusa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not all people are made the same, some do well in school, others play the "game" of education well. The reason I am saying this is because I know there are many people out there that are from Asian and Subcontinental communities whose parents expect them to be the best. Realize that sometimes school is hard and not everyone can achieve stellar grades. You become a Physician because your motive is to help people not to score a wife or bear bragging rights to your parents.

Whatever stigma there was about D.O schools is now mostly gone, except from people that I mentioned above. Let me give you an example of successful physicians, I personally know two Indian doctors who graduated almost 13 years ago from D.O schools. One is a Bariatric surgeon and the other is a G.I doctor. Both are HIGHLY respected in the community and are some of the best doctors. Note they graduated when people had more concerns about D.O schools.

Moving on, I myself am not the best student, I am a Finance major wanting to do medicine. I do not necessarily achieve the best scores or stellar grades. Am I going to run to the Carib because I have to have a MD beside my name? Hell no! Not only are match rates falling but you probably won't get matched into the residency you want.

Because my parents come from a medical background as well they understand what a D.O is. Your duty is to educate your parents on what a D.O is and what they do. Because D.O's do study Anatomy and don't dick around for 4 years. They don't take the USMLE for ****s and giggles, they take it because they want to. They don't practice 2 days a week in State parks.

Even though I am in undergrad I have met people that are in allopathic programs that are the nicest and smartest people that I have ever met. Then there are those people that should be replaced by P.A's who do a better job. Whether they will become Orthopedic surgeons or do EP cardiology, they will lack class.

Note: Mods can you post this in the Allopathic section as well, many of the people that I am talking about here do not hang out here and they might as well read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Well... glad I just wasted my time reading that...

Not all people are made the same, some do well in school, others play the "game" of education well. The reason I am saying this is because I know there are many people out there that are from Asian and Subcontinental communities whose parents expect them to be the best. Realize that sometimes school is hard and not everyone can achieve stellar grades. You become a Physician because your motive is to help people not to score a wife or bear bragging rights to your parents.

Whatever stigma there was about D.O schools is now mostly gone, except from people that I mentioned above. Let me give you an example of successful physicians, I personally know two Indian doctors who graduated almost 13 years ago from D.O schools. One is a Bariatric surgeon and the other is a G.I doctor. Both are HIGHLY respected in the community and are some of the best doctors. Note they graduated when people had more concerns about D.O schools.

Moving on, I myself am not the best student, I am a Finance major wanting to do medicine. I do not necessarily achieve the best scores or stellar grades. Am I going to run to the Carib because I have to have a MD beside my name? Hell no! Not only are match rates falling but you probably won't get matched into the residency you want.

Because my parents come from a medical background as well they understand what a D.O is. Your duty is to educate your parents on what a D.O is and what they do. Because D.O's do study Anatomy and don't dick around for 4 years. They don't take the USMLE for ****s and giggles, they take it because they want to. They don't practice 2 days a week in State parks.

Even though I am in undergrad I have met people that are in allopathic programs that are the nicest and smartest people that I have ever met. Then there are those people that should be replaced by P.A's who do a better job. Whether they will become Orthopedic surgeons or do EP cardiology, they will lack class.

Note: Mods can you post this in the Allopathic section as well, many of the people that I am talking about here do not hang out here and they might as well read this.

I can't make up my mind whether OP is projecting his/her feelings onto others and then addressing these feelings or whether OP is addressing a specific person or multiple people here on these forums.

Members don't see this ad :)
i THINK the OP is angry at someone...just not sure exactly who. :confused:

:confused:

His Asian/Indian parents who think DOs are gumscrapers.

Sounds like he's insecure about going the D.O. route due to parental pressure and his rant was a weak attempt to convince himself that there's nothing wrong with D.O....

Typical.

OP here. Honestly I do not mind taking the DO route. I'm ranting at the people who constantly ask,"should I go to the carib"? or "is DO herbal medicine or something?" Sorry for the brevity of my reply I am busy right now.

OP here. Honestly I do not mind taking the DO route. I'm ranting at the people who constantly ask,"should I go to the carib"? or "is DO herbal medicine or something?" Sorry for the brevity of my reply I am busy right now.

But why is it specifically targeted at Asian/Indians:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
But why is it specifically targeted at Asian/Indians:confused:

Probably because he's Asian/Indian himself and his parents think MDs are superior to DOs (very typical in that culture).

Asian/Indian?

That's redundant. Indian is Asian. I know, I know; in the US, only people with epicanthic folds are considered "Asian" conventionally. In the UK, only people from South Asia are called "Asian." Dah wellz. Carry on!

..oh and OP, thanks for a useless thread in an attempt to reduce your own cognitive dissonance in choosing (considering to choose?) the DO path. Grow up, stop trying to self-validate yourself through anonymous sdn approval, and stop caring so much about what other people/parents/friends/randoms think when it comes to YOUR school/career decisions.

-a fellow "asian/indian"

Last edited:
Probably because he's Asian/Indian himself and his parents think MDs are superior to DOs (very typical in that culture).

First of all are you Marines? I salute you. Secondly your assuming, my parents want me to become a DO. And there are people that think that DO's and MD's are worlds apart and I want to dissolve that difference.

First of all are you Marines? I salute you. Secondly your assuming, my parents want me to become a DO. And there are people that think that DO's and MD's are worlds apart and I want to dissolve that difference.

Well, part of the ridiculousness is specifically addressing the asian/indian population. Being part of that category myself, I was like... Oh, he's talking about me! But then I'm like... how does any of this post apply to me?! :( What a tease.

Notice how none of us really make these kinds of threads. Most of us are very secure in our decision (since there's nothing to be insecure about). Through knowledge comes power, security, and comfort. I suggest you learn more about D.O. so you can join us. :)

This makes me hungry for some tandoori chicken.

So why do your parents want you to become a DO?

Yup, superiority and elitist attitudes are common in Asian cultures. I'm part Asian myself, so I know from first hand experience. However, here on SDN we all know the only advantage to MD is more residency/fellowship programs.

Well, part of the ridiculousness is specifically addressing the asian/indian population. Being part of that category myself, I was like... Oh, he's talking about me! But then I'm like... how does any of this post apply to me?! :( What a tease.

Notice how none of us really make these kinds of threads. Most of us are very secure in our decision (since there's nothing to be insecure about). Through knowledge comes power, security, and comfort. I suggest you learn more about D.O. so you can join us. :)

+1

are you drunk?

I wish I was. :D

^This used to read "why do your parents want you to be a DO?" but I guess it was deleted by the poster.

I've never heard of anyone wanting their kid to be a DO. I know lots of people want their kid to be a doctor, so an MD by default. I say by default because many people haven't heard of DO and/or think DOs are not really physicians.