Asians going to west coast schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junathon

wa wa
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My adviser, who is from CA, told me that it would be a lot harder for an asian to be accepted to west coast schools. Does anyone have any insight on that? I'm from Maryland.

Members don't see this ad.

yup. it's called reverse discrimination, and it's even more prevalent on the West Coast. there's too many asians in medicine. we're an "overrepresented" minority. it's a brilliant scheme by society to keep us down.

anyway, if you have an MCAT of 37+, and 3.8+ science GPA, then you still have a decent shot.

Good luck!

Not to mention most of the west coast schools are state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
junathon said:
My adviser, who is from CA, told me that it would be a lot harder for an asian to be accepted to west coast schools. Does anyone have any insight on that? I'm from Maryland.

It's difficult for anyone (asian or not) to be accepted to a Cali school if you're from out of state.

junathon said:

the head of the UC regents (john moore?) recently publicly alleged that there was some reverse discrimination going on. it will be extremely tough as it is applying to UC as out-of-state. you could always check the "choose not to respond" box.

mediocre said:
there's too many asians in medicine. we're an "overrepresented" minority. it's a brilliant scheme by society to keep us down.

(Assuming what you say is true), why are asians over represented in medicine?

While asians make up only 5% or so of the american population, they make up around 30% of medical school classes.

Actually, it's harder for Asians to become accepted to ALL schools, not just the West Coast. It's a "penalty" for being driven and overrepresented. :rolleyes:

Newquagmire said:
the head of the UC regents (john moore?) recently publicly alleged that there was some reverse discrimination going on. it will be extremely tough as it is applying to UC as out-of-state. you could always check the "choose not to respond" box.

the head of the UC regents (aka president) is robert dynes. coming from a UC I find it really hard to believe reverse discrimination is going on . . . the VAST majority of the student population at most, if not all, the UCs is asian. (and here comes the flaming).

celticmists18 said:
the head of the UC regents (aka president) is robert dynes. coming from a UC I find it really hard to believe reverse discrimination is going on . . . the VAST majority of the student population at most, if not all, the UCs is asian. (and here comes the flaming).

Although the majority are Asian, their average scores and GPAs for those entering UC's are still higher than average, which hints at reverse discrimination. If they admitted on numbers alone, the percentage asian would be even higher.

This applies to the UC medical schools and thus the difficulty for for an "average" asian applicant to gain entrance into a UC med school.

Yes, some of the other regents censured Moore for suggesting they were going against Prop 209. Moore is the chairman and the head of the regents.

A under-represented racial group category can not exist without a over-represented racial group category.

Alexander99 said:
It's difficult for anyone (asian or not) to be accepted to a Cali school if you're from out of state.

yes...so very true...you need to be stellar to be considered out of state...(and if you're instate as well but a better advantage than out of state at least.)

Pinkertinkle said:
While asians make up only 5% or so of the american population, they make up around 30% of medical school classes.

and continually climbing...

Members don't see this ad :)
celticmists18 said:

Sorry. The Chairman of the regents, John Moores, did so. Google for it. Conta coasta times baby.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=12702

The majority of California is Asians. Why is it hard to believe the majority of students at the California public schools would therefore be Asians?

Yeah, that was the Forbes article that got Moore a censure. It's interesting they would choose to censure him instead of addressing his concerns.
He also published a massive study in the admissions of the UCs. Agree or disagree with him, you have to like the fact that he's opening up the unnecessary secret world of admissions.

There are many cultural reasons that asians are driven towards medicine, and I wont expand on those.

One less culturally related reason that I have detected from talking to some of my asian friends and other asian applicants is the glass ceiling that exists in the corporate world (business and law), and how it is very hard for asians to break through that barrier due to social structure. The consensus seemed to be that medicine was the least affected by this "glass ceiling" in comparison to most other occupations. In short medicine was the career in which one was most likely to be rewarded for personal merit rather than favoratism, nepotism, or racism.

Never frick'n mind. I'm not going to argue this. I fold, I'm a white person, therefore I am scum of the earth and unworthy of the fruits of my parents labors . . . (it only took me 18 years of california public school education to figure it out) :(

Newquagmire said:
Sorry. The Chairman of the regents, John Moores, did so. Google for it. Conta coasta times baby.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=12702

The majority of California is Asians. Why is it hard to believe the majority of students at the California public schools would therefore be Asians?

The majority if California is Asians? Since when? Asians may be concentrated in California but they are not close to being the majority. If anything Hispanics are getting close to becoming the majority in CA.

Pinkertinkle said:

Hey Pinkertinkle, sounds interesting. Where do you get the info from ?

Alexander99 said:
The majority if California is Asians? Since when? Asians may be concentrated in California but they are not close to being the majority. If anything Hispanics are getting close to becoming the majority in CA.

i believe that hispanics are the majority in california, followed by whites...
asians are nowhere close to being the majority.

not even the majority in all the schools spanning from elementary schools to high schools...however...this becomes a different story when we talk about the university level in california.

Hispanics are the majority now in CA?

I know whites dropped from being the majority to the being the plurality. Wow, I had no idea about the Hispanic thing.

Ryo-Ohki said:

I know whites dropped from being the majority to the being the plurality. Wow, I had no idea about the Hispanic thing.

No, you're right. Whites are now below 50% so no longer a majority, but are still the leading demographic group.

Ryo-Ohki said:

Not yet, but relatively soon. I forget the exact date but I think Hispanics are on track to overtake whites as the racial majority in CA sometime in the next decade. Another reason why I think every doc should learn how to speak Spanish.

Alexander99 said:
Not yet, but relatively soon. I forget the exact date but I think Hispanics are on track to overtake whites as the racial majority in CA sometime in the next decade. Another reason why I think every doc should learn how to speak Spanish.

Or we can have everyone learn english.

exmike said:
so unreasonable mike... :laugh:

but while they all have some knowledge in the english language...
native english speakers usu have no knowledge of other langauges.

exmike said:

i'm always wondering what country we're in...
Maybe encouraging people to learn English is not such a bad idea?
Instead you have DMV manuals in 50 different languages (slight exaggeration)

mediocre said:
i'm always wondering what country we're in...
Maybe encouraging people to learn English is not such a bad idea?
Instead you have DMV manuals in 50 different languages (slight exaggeration)

Seriously!! So many people just come here and assume they will get the benefits of living here without having to conform at all. So, most of them don't even try. There's the problem right there. While the US is about equal opportunity and freedom, we are actually encouraging major separatism and cultural disconnect by allowing schools to be taught in 4 languages, DMV manuals to be printed in 50, etc. Why should people assimilate when they don't need to? It's so ridiculous.

gsx56 said:
Seriously!! So many people just come here and assume they will get the benefits of living here without having to conform at all. So, most of them don't even try. There's the problem right there. While the US is about equal opportunity and freedom, we are actually encouraging major separatism and cultural disconnect by allowing schools to be taught in 4 languages, DMV manuals to be printed in 50, etc. Why should people assimilate when they don't need to? It's so ridiculous.

assimilation usually comes at a price of losing in touch with your own culture. its awesome to know that people from anyone can come to the states and try and live their dream of having a better life than where they were originally from. cut them some slack...how are these adults supposed to learn all this stuff right away...its nice to have a neighborhood with people you are familiar with so you can form support systems easier and get used to living in a foriegn land a lot faster than they normally would.
their kids on the other hand will obviously have to assimilate and create generational and cultural gaps with their parents ( :( )

There is not currently any racial majority in California. I have been to numerous presentations on this recently. Here's one reference:

http://www.dof.ca.gov/HTML/DEMOGRAP/CPS-2002.pdf

But it depends how you look at it. Over 50% of births in California are to Latinos. By the 2006-7 school year there will be a Latino majority entering California public schools. But "by 2020" is usually the timeframe I hear for a "Latino majority," which I assume is based on population numbers. Here's another report with some of the these #'s.

http://www.cesla.med.ucla.edu/html/pdf/majority.pdf

jlee9531 said:
assimilation usually comes at a price of losing in touch with your own culture. its awesome to know that people from anyone can come to the states and try and live their dream of having a better life than where they were originally from. cut them some slack...how are these adults supposed to learn all this stuff right away...its nice to have a neighborhood with people you are familiar with so you can form support systems easier and get used to living in a foriegn land a lot faster than they normally would.
their kids on the other hand will obviously have to assimilate and create generational and cultural gaps with their parents ( :( )

Oh no! I did not mean to cause a rumble. I am not saying adults should learn stuff right away, etc. Nor was I joshing certain ethnic groups (I know this thread is about Asians in Cali). I understand it all... I have strong ties to my ethnic group, as well, just to clarify. Nor am I targeting first/2nd/3rd generation people.

All I was saying is that, especially in California, the lack of people proficient in English, etc. comes at a very high price and puts stress (economic, social, political) on so much of this state/country. But on the other hand, that is what makes us unique. Please don't be mad!!

gsx56 said:
While the US is about equal opportunity and freedom, we are actually encouraging major separatism and cultural disconnect by allowing schools to be taught in 4 languages, DMV manuals to be printed in 50, etc. Why should people assimilate when they don't need to? It's so ridiculous.

Equal opportunity...to learn English. One doesn't always take all the opportunities presented. My cousin immigrated after finishing the equivalent of high school and had to start over when he got off the boat because he didn't know the specific terminology in English. Basically set him back four years, and now he goes to community college.

mediocre said:
yup. it's called reverse discrimination, and it's even more prevalent on the West Coast. there's too many asians in medicine. we're an "overrepresented" minority. it's a brilliant scheme by society to keep us down.

anyway, if you have an MCAT of 37+, and 3.8+ science GPA, then you still have a decent shot.

Good luck!

Am I SOL then? :confused: I really would like to go to a school on the west coast. Any successful applicants out there?

That's funny...........if you go to a midwest school, asians are considered underrepresented. At Creighton, we got a 3 year grant to give scholarships to minorities and vietnamese are considered minorities. My class only has about 15 asians (and that's counting Indians from India) so getting minorities to come here is big and that includes asians. So I guess it's just a west coast and east coast thing.

Jetson

Jet915 said:
That's funny...........if you go to a midwest school, asians are considered underrepresented. At Creighton, we got a 3 year grant to give scholarships to minorities and vietnamese are considered minorities. My class only has about 15 asians (and that's counting Indians from India) so getting minorities to come here is big and that includes asians. So I guess it's just a west coast and east coast thing.

Jetson

That actually makes sense since most asians live in west or east coast.

junathon said:
Am I SOL then? :confused: I really would like to go to a school on the west coast. Any successful applicants out there?

For west coast schools, try the private ones (LLU, Stanford, USC), UCLA, and UCSF. Those seem to be the most receptive. Also, Oregon's on the west coast, too... Sometimes I even forget :laugh:

AlreadyInDebt said:
For west coast schools, try the private ones (LLU, Stanford, USC), UCLA, and UCSF. Those seem to be the most receptive. Also, Oregon's on the west coast, too... Sometimes I even forget :laugh:

Ouuuu, I like that, but still very competitive. Anyone tried out for University of Hawaii?

junathon said:
Ouuuu, I like that, but still very competitive. Anyone tried out for University of Hawaii?

I believe Blade would be the one to contact about this... Since Hawaii has stron prefernece for people with ties to the state, you have to be above and beyond (number-wise) what they actually accept.

They go by a point system, and if your numbers and ECs give you enough points to reach a cut-off (without the state-relationship points), you can still get an interview there. Does that make sense? I'm confusing myself! :laugh: Do a search for university of Hawaii, or just Hawaii to narrow it down. It was a pretty recent thread, if I'm not mistaken.

junathon said:

Ouch. Does your advisor also burn crosses or wear a cone-shaped hat with eyeholes in it?

Kidding, kidding. Seems like some harsh advice though.

junathon said:
I've heard basically you need to be born there.

So.. ummm... what about redheads? Can I classify myself as a URM? :idea: How about if I say "pretty please"...?..."with sugar on top."... :p

Jet915 said:

Jetson
When I was at Emory, my interviewer said it would help that I was a minority (That struck me as odd b/c you don't really hear that as an Asian)...I was waitlisted though...maybe I just suck so bad that UCLA just accepted me out of pity ;)

PhillyEaglesFan said:
Ouch. Does your advisor also burn crosses or wear a cone-shaped hat with eyeholes in it?

Kidding, kidding. Seems like some harsh advice though.

obviously you haven't been to California . . . (don't kidd about the klan its just not funny in any context)

To the OP: being Asian is really secondary to being out of state in regards to med school. Being a californian who went through the application process I would tell you to save your money and not apply to any of the UCs. If you are set on CA for med school try the privates as many others people have suggested. good luck, I've lived here my entire life, went to UCSD, and didn't get a single interview in CA (same sob story applies to a lot of my friends)

I think a couple UCs, including UCLA, don't prefer in-state students.

krichan said:
I think a couple UCs, including UCLA, don't prefer in-state students.

All the UCs give preference to Californians (they are the UNIVERSITIES OF CALIFORNIA . . . they wouldn't get funding from the state if they didn't give preference). Some may be a little more lenient in letting out of state students in than others. I don't understand where people got the idea that california doesn't give preference. this isn't the first time I have come across this claim, where are people getting this information!

celticmists18 said:
All the UCs give preference to Californians (they are the UNIVERSITIES OF CALIFORNIA . . . they wouldn't get funding from the state if they didn't give preference). Some may be a little more lenient in letting out of state students in than others. I don't understand where people got the idea that california doesn't give preference. this isn't the first time I have come across this claim, where are people getting this information!

From the UCLA Geffen website:

"No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California."

http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/admiss/admreq.htm

late inthe game said:
From the UCLA Geffen website:

"No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California."

http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/admiss/admreq.htm

A discussion about that statement resides somewhere else on the forum, you might want to check it out. But if you look at the numbers there is an obvious bias in favor of Californians and no matter what their public stance is TO RECEIVE STATE FUNDING A SCHOOL MUST GIVE PREFERENCE TO RESIDENTS OF THAT STATE (its in the charter for the university system, along with a bunch of other stuff applies to this issue but I will spare you).

In other words, UCLA is LYING to you when they say there is no state preference.

I'd like to see the acceptance rates for both in state and out of state applicants. I bet you bottom dollar that in-state applicants have a sizable advantage.

MacGyver said:
In other words, UCLA is LYING to you when they say there is no state preference.

I'd like to see the acceptance rates for both in state and out of state applicants. I bet you bottom dollar that in-state applicants have a sizable advantage.

As mentioned, they do and they should. UCSF's site is quite honest in saying that it encourages out-of-state applicants, but only from extremely qualified applicants. With the tuition increases, the UC in-state preference should almost be reduced, but, at a fundamental level, if the state government is paying $20K a year towards subsidizing your tuition, there isn't any reason for that particular state not to mandate a preference for its own residents.

MacGyver said:

Yes, they are lying and that was the same decision reached last time the statement was discussed.