Aside from grades and MCAT scores, what else should I work on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rurichek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hallo. I am an undergraduate student at Wayne State University. This is my third year, but I think I am still a sophomore. Up to this moment I didn't do anything like volunteering, researching, and shadowing a doctor. My grades are good though - GPA = 3.8. I also worked a lot (as a cashier, so I don't think it counts). Because I don't understand everything very well, I feel like I lost a lot of time when I could be doing all those things. I am about to start volunteering at a hospital. So these are some good news for my progress. Also as I heard from other people and from reading this forum, it is also necessary to do research and to shadow a doctor. For research, how do people get into it? Do you need to have contacts? Also, roughly how many hours of research, volunteering, and shadowing are necessary? Do you think I will be able to catch up on these things in under 2 years? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely need to start shadowing physicians. I have done most of shadowing through alumni of my college. See if you are career services has any contacts. Try for at least 50 hours of shadowing and 100 hours of clinical volunteering. Have you done any non-clincal volunteering?

Hallo. I am an undergraduate student at Wayne State University. This is my third year, but I think I am still a sophomore. Up to this moment I didn't do anything like volunteering, researching, and shadowing a doctor. My grades are good though - GPA = 3.8. I also worked a lot (as a cashier, so I don't think it counts). Because I don't understand everything very well, I feel like I lost a lot of time when I could be doing all those things. I am about to start volunteering at a hospital. So these are some good news for my progress. Also as I heard from other people and from reading this forum, it is also necessary to do research and to shadow a doctor. For research, how do people get into it? Do you need to have contacts? Also, roughly how many hours of research, volunteering, and shadowing are necessary? Do you think I will be able to catch up on these things in under 2 years? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thank you!
If you have two years before you'd plan to apply, you should be fine "catching up" with the usual and customary activities. Working as a cashier does actually help you since it involves people skills and problem solving, so don't hesitate to include it.

Research, strictly speaking, isn't a requirement, but there's no question it will enhance an application nearly everywhere. Try to get in at least a semester's worth; a year is about the average. Talk to an advisor or an old Chem or Bio teacher where you took a lab and ask if they know of a colleague needing help in their research lab. You can also look through recent publications by professors at your school and see if any subject areas interest you, then email them to inquire about open positions. Or you can talk to other premeds/science or psych majors already involved in research and ask if their lab needs help.

I agree that 50 hours of shadowing is a good goal, particularly if a primary care doc is one of the people you shadow. About 150 hours of active clinical volunteering over 1.5 academic years is average; I'd consider 100 hours to be a minimum. Alternatively, you can get clinical experience through employment that permits patient interaction. Either way, some nonmedical community service that helps those in need would also benefit your application.

Teaching (tutoring, TA, coaching, mentoring) and peer leadership also make an application stronger.

Whatever you do, as you get involved in the needed activities, DON'T LET YOUR GRADES DROP. You'd be better off taking another year off to beef up your activities that to squeeze everything in and let your GPA suffer. The average age of med school matriculation is 24.

I have not done any non-clinical volunteering, but I will explore that option over the summer break. I will definitely begin looking for a doctor to shadow. I am in no rush with academic work, I am only 21. If I will finish my bachelor too early I will start working on a minor to extend my time to catch up with all of the pre-med activities.
Thanks for all of your advices - they definitely took my stress and worry away from me now that I know some basic outline of all of the goals.

Reactions: 1 users