Ask an Active Duty Army Oral Surgeon...........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ArmyJawBreaker:
Hello Sir,

Have you ever heard of or seen a medical student make the transition to OMFS in the Army? I have heard of civilian medical students doing this through Louisville and University of Michigan.

I am currently an Otolaryngology hopeful, but I would also like to look into what it would take for me to get into OMFS in the Army. I enjoy the entire field of ENT, but I am very interested in cranio-maxillofacial and cleft palate reconstruction of which ENTs, once out of residency, do not get much action. I am an Army HPSP student and have a four year medical school obligation. I also have a three year obligation for undergraduate ROTC. So, I am obligated to the Army for a while.

I am aware that I would have to attend some dental school. I would assume the last two years of dental school would be required to mirror the requirement of the last two years of medical school for traditional 6 year OMFS. I also assume I would need to take Part I and II of the dental boards. If you can speak to any of this I would be very appreciative.

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

ArmyJawBreaker:
Hello Sir,

Have you ever heard of or seen a medical student make the transition to OMFS in the Army? I have heard of civilian medical students doing this through Louisville and University of Michigan.

I am currently an Otolaryngology hopeful, but I would also like to look into what it would take for me to get into OMFS in the Army. I enjoy the entire field of ENT, but I am very interested in cranio-maxillofacial and cleft palate reconstruction of which ENTs, once out of residency, do not get much action. I am an Army HPSP student and have a four year medical school obligation. I also have a three year obligation for undergraduate ROTC. So, I am obligated to the Army for a while.

I am aware that I would have to attend some dental school. I would assume the last two years of dental school would be required to mirror the requirement of the last two years of medical school for traditional 6 year OMFS. I also assume I would need to take Part I and II of the dental boards. If you can speak to any of this I would be very appreciative.

Thank you!!!

If the medical corps is like the dental corps, they are not going to allow you to do an educational deferment to go to dental school. They will want you to begin your residency or GMO right away.

In order to get a dental degree to attend an Army program you would have to be a dental corps officer. This would require you to have a DMD/DDS which will require the complete 4 yrs of dental school. Unlike dentists completing the last 2 yrs of medical school to gain their MD, dental school requires the dental skills (drilling teeth, etc...) which takes all 4 yrs of training.

Just my opinion - but I don't see it as a possibility.

Hi
I am currently practicing in VA and also in army reserve. I will be transferred to active duty end of this year for 3years. I am thinking about specializing oral surgery. I know it will be tough to get in this year. But let suppose I am selected in this dec and start in 2013. Then while I am in residency, is my obligation cover by residency and i only have residency payback? Or during my residency my obligation is stop and payback later for residency and my obligation? I have friend in army Perio. He told me that I just need to pay back 4 yr residency. but I read something different in this forum. if you can answer this, I really appreciate that. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone had any information as to what sets the different Army OMS residencies apart, what is good and bad about each one?
I've heard good things about the Fort Bragg residency but don't know about the other ones and was wondering a good way to rank them.
Specifically does anyone know anything about the Fort Gordon program?

As an OMS in army what sort of cases do you do most of the time? What sort of work settings are available (clinic/hospital)? Are the cases different when you deploy? If so what are they?

As an OMS in army what sort of cases do you do most of the time? What sort of work settings are available (clinic/hospital)? Are the cases different when you deploy? If so what are they?

hard to say. it all depends on where you go. there is a large variation between posts.

hard to say. it all depends on where you go. there is a large variation between posts.

Thanks for the info. If possible, could you elaborate on how each is different? Would you recommend certain residency locations over others? Specifically, do certain bases get more orthognathic cases...and trauma?

Thanks again.

You can do externships with the Army and set them up for the time period that works for you. The best time to set them up is Mar-Apr. I believe your HPSP handbook tells you how to do it.

If you want to do OMFS on your externship then you need to coordinate ahead of time. Pick one of the locations that have an OMFS program and ask the person who is coordinating setting things up if they will let you hand out with mostly OMFS. It will be up to each individual location what they will let you do.

I have a question about this.

Q1] As far as doing these externships, does one need to have completed the BOLC training first? I'm asking this as a current D1 who wasn't able to do BOLC before school.

Q2] As a current D1, what would you say I need to do timeline-wise to prep myself for a run for the OMS residency (BOLC, externship, etc.)?

I know it's only my D1 year, but I'd like to give the OMS run the best shot I can while I'm fresh in the game.

(FYI, I'm not setting myself up for letdown, because I'd totally enjoy being a GP as well!)

Officially, you are supposed to do BOLC first. But if you can't attend due to conflicts with your school schedule, then you can get an exception. Now that the Army is holding two BOLC sessions, you are less likely to have a conflict though.

I stumbled upon this site by accident, but I think it can be pretty informative. Let me tell you about myself:

1. Currently a Major (O-4) in the US Army Dental Corps
2. Been in the Dental Corps for 8 years
3. Went through 2 residencies in the US Army:
2002 - Fort Lewis 1 year AEGD residency
2005-2009 - Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency (Hawaii)
4. Been stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington, Fort Campbell, Kentucky, Hawaii,
and Fort Stewart, Georgia
5. Deployed to Iraq in 2003-2004 as a Brigade Dentist
6. Currently an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon at Fort Stewart, Georgia

So, if you have questions I bet that I can answer it for you or find the answers for you. Being currently in the Army and my 8 year experience, I think I have some insight that others would appreciate to know while they decide if the US Army Dental Corps is good for them.

Personally, my health care recruiter was completely clueless and I had to seek out answers from more qualified people.

So drop me a line if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help.

I am a practicing oral surgeon, senior partner of lucrative 6 man group. I have always wanted to be in the military...long story. I would like to join the navy reserve. I have plenty of vacation time. Kids are grown, retirement is funded. Deployment longer than 3 months would be a problem with my group. Other than that I am good to go.....assuming I could get an age waiver...I am 56 in good health. Any thoughts??

This thread is for Army. You could start a new thread for Navy asking the same question. If you were to consider the Army it is possible since Oral Surgeons are a critical skill. That being said the Army has tightened recruiting and the age waivers may be one of those areas that are harder to get. Best way to get started is to find your nearest healthcare recuriter - http://www.goarmy.com/locate-a-recruiter.html