Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the wife on board for army HPSP ( Took a looonng time)

I am in my first year at dental school. My undergrad and dat were pretty good (3.7 20 ) but to be honest I know I dont want to specialize so I take it easy at dental school (2.96). Now all the sudden I can apply but now I don't know if I can get in. Is it worth even trying?

Honestly, the process is so long I don't want to put in so much effort if I don't stand a chance in hell. I really want to do it though, both for debt reasons and just because its something i have always wanted to do.

Wucha think ?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to get a waiver for the B.A/B.S requirement for the HPSP? I ask because i might end up doing the 2+3 UOP dental program. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the wife on board for army HPSP ( Took a looonng time)

I am in my first year at dental school. My undergrad and dat were pretty good (3.7 20 ) but to be honest I know I dont want to specialize so I take it easy at dental school (2.96). Now all the sudden I can apply but now I don't know if I can get in. Is it worth even trying?

Honestly, the process is so long I don't want to put in so much effort if I don't stand a chance in hell. I really want to do it though, both for debt reasons and just because its something i have always wanted to do.

Wucha think ?

Its not that much work and effort to apply. You might as well do it and find out if you get it.

Is it possible to get a waiver for the B.A/B.S requirement for the HPSP? I ask because i might end up doing the 2+3 UOP dental program. Thanks for your help.

This is just my 2 cents.

Once you have an acceptance letter into Pacific then you can move forward with the HPSP. Until then you are just like every other pre-dent.

Its always nice to have some guarantees beforehand, I get that, but you I dont think the Army will give any promises until you are formally accepted.

My recruiter contacted my and told me that my packet made it to the boards in time! But the bad news was that it didn't pass "level 4" ...She sent me an e-mail and this is what it said:

Results: Level 1 - Pass Level 2 - Pass Level 3 - Pass Level 4 - Fail

Validation Level 4 failed due to Level 4 validation error(s).
Level 4

Applicant Profile Step 3

Missing USAR Scroll Approval Date unless there is a corresponding
Exception Workflow.

Corps/AOC

Missing Constructive Credit Lock and is required."

What exactly does that mean? I asked her about it and she said that it just means I'm waiting on Congress to "Scroll"...is that true?

My recruiter contacted my and told me that my packet made it to the boards in time! But the bad news was that it didn't pass "level 4" ...She sent me an e-mail and this is what it said:

Results: Level 1 - Pass Level 2 - Pass Level 3 - Pass Level 4 - Fail

Validation Level 4 failed due to Level 4 validation error(s).
Level 4

Applicant Profile Step 3

Missing USAR Scroll Approval Date unless there is a corresponding
Exception Workflow.

Corps/AOC

Missing Constructive Credit Lock and is required."

What exactly does that mean? I asked her about it and she said that it just means I'm waiting on Congress to "Scroll"...is that true?

Please PM Me

So quick question what if ur recuiter tells u that u have not been selected for the Army scholarship. Can I reapply or is it over for me.

So quick question what if ur recuiter tells u that u have not been selected for the Army scholarship. Can I reapply or is it over for me.

Ask if you're on an alternate list/Order of Merit List (OML). I actually wasn't picked up the first time, told it was over, but got a call later and told I was offered a two year. And I don't know if it was because my packet made it late, all the three year scholarships were disbursed, or if something in my packet made me less competitive.

THey said I wasn't selected for it. But he couldn't understand why. Plus I will call to find out why. Plus is their any chance that they could change their mind about it.

I didn't get a call or email from my recruiter.
Is that mean I'm not selected? :(
Is today is the decision day...?

I didn't get a call or email from my recruiter.
Is that mean I'm not selected? :(
Is today is the decision day...?

Probably best if you call your recruiter. If he's not in the office, someone is who should be able to tell you if the results have been released and what your status is.

Members don't see this ad :)
my recruiter just called me today and told me that I got the scholarship! Super excited!!!!

Probably best if you call your recruiter. If he's not in the office, someone is who should be able to tell you if the results have been released and what your status is.

I called my recruiter this afternoon and he told me that he hasn't heard
back anything yet..
He told me that it can take up to 2 weeks starting from today.
But how come everyone knows the status except me?
Hmmm,, I was really looking forward to getting it...

This is just my 2 cents.

Once you have an acceptance letter into Pacific then you can move forward with the HPSP. Until then you are just like every other pre-dent.

Its always nice to have some guarantees beforehand, I get that, but you I dont think the Army will give any promises until you are formally accepted.

Yeah, that has been what everyone's telling me. That guarantee should would be nice though. :rolleyes: Anyways, thanks for your help.

Am still tryin to find out why I did get it. But am going to start an application with the Navy. But do u think that the army will change their mind and offer it to me. I have read through out the forum and hear some ppl was deined and later got it. Also should i replace my application to the army also.

Yay!
I got a call from my recruiter that I got accepted to HPSP Scholarship!!:D

Congrats bro! Did he/she say when you can commission?

Thanks!
My recruiter told me that once a "scroll" process is done, I can do the
commission after it. He told me that the scroll is just a formality paper work
and it is reallyreally slow.. about a month.
How about you?
Btw, I'm a female~ hehe

Thanks!
My recruiter told me that once a "scroll" process is done, I can do the
commission after it. He told me that the scroll is just a formality paper work
and it is reallyreally slow.. about a month.
How about you?
Btw, I'm a female~ hehe

I'm sorry about the whole "bro" thing. I'm waiting for the boards on the 13th. My recruiter finally got my packet up to the boards about a week ago, but they had already started so it didn't make it in time...kind of bites. Do you know if your packet was reviewed at this past board (16th?) or if it was decided on in a previous board meeting? Just trying to gauge how fast the turn around time is in finding out if you get it or not.

I'm sorry about the whole "bro" thing. I'm waiting for the boards on the 13th. My recruiter finally got my packet up to the boards about a week ago, but they had already started so it didn't make it in time...kind of bites. Do you know if your packet was reviewed at this past board (16th?) or if it was decided on in a previous board meeting? Just trying to gauge how fast the turn around time is in finding out if you get it or not.

no worries :)
ok, what I heard from my recruiter is that I was reviewed on the 16th board. And after a week later, I got accepted. And I think there is April 6th board. I don't know about the 13th board, I might be wrong.
My recruiter told me that only 15 seats are left for the 4 year scholarship for nationwide. I really hope you get it.

no worries :)
ok, what I heard from my recruiter is that I was reviewed on the 16th board. And after a week later, I got accepted. And I think there is April 6th board. I don't know about the 13th board, I might be wrong.
My recruiter told me that only 15 seats are left for the 4 year scholarship for nationwide. I really hope you get it.

13 April is the next board.

Hello,

Is it too late to apply for the 4 year army hpsp scholarship at this point?

thanks.

Hello,

Is it too late to apply for the 4 year army hpsp scholarship at this point?

thanks.

Have you already started the process? I would try...it wouldn't hurt right? All they can do is say "better luck next time"... and even if you don't make it to the next board you could still make the one after

a quick question: suppose you finished the OBLC before graduation, when would be the earliest date to start serving as active duty? i assume you probably don't have the license yet (i.e. june to september)...can you still be a "dental officer?" if so, what would you do during the active duty w/o license?

thanks!

a quick question: suppose you finished the OBLC before graduation, when would be the earliest date to start serving as active duty? i assume you probably don't have the license yet (i.e. june to september)...can you still be a "dental officer?" if so, what would you do during the active duty w/o license?

thanks!

If you have OBLC done before graduation you have 2 choices: 1) come in right away and you will work under someone (like dental school), or you can arrive when your orders tell you to (usually end of summer) and enjoy a nice long break after dental school (you don't get paid until you come on active duty). Your order will give you a report date. You can show up anytime up until then.

If you have OBLC done before graduation you have 2 choices: 1) come in right away and you will work under someone (like dental school), or you can arrive when your orders tell you to (usually end of summer) and enjoy a nice long break after dental school (you don't get paid until you come on active duty). Your order will give you a report date. You can show up anytime up until then.

thank you for the info. so if i'd go for the 1st option:

will i be told (by order) which base to go?
when would i be notified of that?
and if i work under someone, would that still count toward my ADO?
what about the pay: i would then just be making the captain's salary, w/o ASP or VSP, right?

thanks!!!

thank you for the info. so if i'd go for the 1st option:

will i be told (by order) which base to go?
when would i be notified of that?
and if i work under someone, would that still count toward my ADO?
what about the pay: i would then just be making the captain's salary, w/o ASP or VSP, right?

thanks!!!

You will get orders around March of your senior year telling you where and when to go. You will get VSP but not ASP (until you get your license). Your obligation begins getting paid off the minute you are on active duty.

You will get orders around March of your senior year telling you where and when to go. You will get VSP but not ASP (until you get your license). Your obligation begins getting paid off the minute you are on active duty.

so the order would state where i should report to on such and such dates, as early as late may? and the army wouldn't mind non-licensed "dentists" working on real patients?

so the order would state where i should report to on such and such dates, as early as late may? and the army wouldn't mind non-licensed "dentists" working on real patients?

It will say you have to show up by the end of the summer, but that you can come up to 60 days early.

Depends on the Commander, I have seen both occur (working on patients and sitting around). Without a license you will have to get your proceedures checked off by a licensed dentist just like in dental school.

Maj. Mower,
How many patients do you typically see in a day as an Army dentist? I've read your blog and it seems like it could be anywhere from 5 to 10...is that right?

I was also wondering about the 2 year comp residency, are there many stations that have that...Bragg, Hawaii, California, Utah?

Maj. Mower,
How many patients do you typically see in a day as an Army dentist? I've read your blog and it seems like it could be anywhere from 5 to 10...is that right?

I was also wondering about the 2 year comp residency, are there many stations that have that...Bragg, Hawaii, California, Utah?

Patients depend on you and the procedure. I like to stay busy and frequently run two chairs, so I see quite a few. Average would be 8 (1 an hour) - but if you are doing bigger procedures like endo or prosth you may only see 4-6.

2 year
AEGD programs are in NC, TX, HI.

Last edited:
krmower, I have a question about the timeline for taking mock boards prior to actually taking the real board certification exam.

I looked on COL Pannes Armystrong Stories blog, and she said that the 2-year AEGD has 4 mock board exams, which is great because it gets you ready for the real thing. I'm assuming that all four tests are spaced approximately 6 months apart...is that correct?

Another question is when and where do you take the real exam? Do you take it while you are still enrolled in the 2-year program, or do you take it after you graduate? Thank you.

krmower, I have a question about the timeline for taking mock boards prior to actually taking the real board certification exam.

I looked on COL Pannes Armystrong Stories blog, and she said that the 2-year AEGD has 4 mock board exams, which is great because it gets you ready for the real thing. I'm assuming that all four tests are spaced approximately 6 months apart...is that correct?

Another question is when and where do you take the real exam? Do you take it while you are still enrolled in the 2-year program, or do you take it after you graduate? Thank you.

The number and timing may vary by program. I haven't asked about other 2 yr AEGD programs, so I don't know. There are 2 tests to get board certification - written/oral. Written will be close to the time of graduation - it is given at the Academy of General Dentistry Convention each summer, I believe there is also one other option - but I don't recall. It is not given by the military or at a base. The oral boards which is the final step to gain board certified status is done the year after you pass the written boards. It is done in Chicago once a year in May.

The oral boards which is the final step to gain board certified status is done the year after you pass the written boards. It is done in Chicago once a year in May.

Thank you. So it looks like you had to take your oral boards almost a full year after graduating from the 2-year program. Did you find it difficult that you had to study-up on your own so far after graduating from the program? I would imagine that much time after the residency would make you a little rusty once the real test came along. Did you find this to be the case?

Hi Krmower and all,

I recently have accepted to 4 year HPSP scholarship.
I am just waiting on the "scroll" to come back from congress to sign it.

Meantime, I have asked several of ppl about the army.
I have read the numerous concerns of deployment. As many people worry, I am also worry whether I would ever get deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. I have put down my 1st choice to be Korea since I am from South Korea. And 2nd to be Japan.
I heard that you can only stay in one base with a period of 2 year.

I think it would be a coward if I were to walk out of this good opportunity just because of deployment issue. I think it shouldn't be that bad, it's just,, it gets my nerve..

Thank you for your answers.

Thank you. So it looks like you had to take your oral boards almost a full year after graduating from the 2-year program. Did you find it difficult that you had to study-up on your own so far after graduating from the program? I would imagine that much time after the residency would make you a little rusty once the real test came along. Did you find this to be the case?

For all specialties it ends up being that way - ortho, endo, OMFS, etc... all of them have a multiple part board that they take after graduation. Some involve case presentations that they have to defend - the 2 yr AEGD board gives you the option of defending cases or doing the "write for life". More information can be found on them at www.abgd.org.

I found them challenging, but as I mentioned - it's par for the course and similar to other specialties.

From my residency program we had 3/4 pass - I don't recall what the overall rate was - but I think it was around 65-75% that year.

Hi Krmower and all,

I have read the numerous concerns of deployment. As many people worry, I am also worry whether I would ever get deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. I have put down my 1st choice to be Korea since I am from South Korea. And 2nd to be Japan.

I think it would be a coward if I were to walk out of this good opportunity just because of deployment issue. I think it shouldn't be that bad, it's just,, it gets my nerve..

Make sure before you accept the scholarship you are OK with deploying, because it could happen. Typically everyone I have spoken with about their deployments have said they found it very satisfying. I have been trying to deploy for awhile now, and am having a hard time - especially with the shift in the military lately.

If you are overseas (Japan/Hawaii/Alaska/Europe) and married it will be for 3 yrs if your family goes with you. If you are single and you go to Korea it can be for as little as 1 yr, although you can apply for extensions. Japan is difficult to get since there are not a lot of dentists stationed there and it is popular.

Hello,

I'm starting dental school in August and am interested in the 3 year hpsp.

Will there be any 3 year scholarships available (2010-2011 App cycle) ?
And if so, when should I start the process?

Lastly, for 3 yr scholarship, are the 1st yr d-school grades considered or does the army just look at undergrad gpa, dat, letter of rec and etc.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I have couple questions about the timeline in terms of the active duty after dental school. So, after I am done with dental school, I want to go for specialization (ortho). I prolly gonna go thru army hospital in which I will owe them another 3yrs. So does that mean I have to serve total of 7 yrs?
so... is this the correct timeline?
4yr dental, 3 yr ortho, 7 yr active duty.
Also, after serving 5 yrs, I heard you will become a MAJOR (O-4). How is the pay as a Major and when do you become O-5 (and its pay?) Let me know! How about the pay difference between a dentist and orthodontist? Thank you

I have couple questions about the timeline in terms of the active duty after dental school. So, after I am done with dental school, I want to go for specialization (ortho). I prolly gonna go thru army hospital in which I will owe them another 3yrs. So does that mean I have to serve total of 7 yrs?
so... is this the correct timeline?
4yr dental, 3 yr ortho, 7 yr active duty.
Also, after serving 5 yrs, I heard you will become a MAJOR (O-4). How is the pay as a Major and when do you become O-5 (and its pay?) Let me know! How about the pay difference between a dentist and orthodontist? Thank you

thinking is good, but i think you really should think about specializing in ortho perhaps after your first year in dental school. you prolly know that ortho is by far one of the most competitive residency programs in US. only the top 1 or 2 people in your graduating class (no matter how big) would get a spot at best in private sector, because each dental school has only about 3 spots (including army), where 1 or 2 of them would be filled by some experienced dentists. plus, the military would like to select someone who is committed w/ some experience b/f you dive in.

as to timing, the active duty obligation from HPSP would run concurrently w/ any obligation from residency, so i'd be: dental school --> residency (2 or 3 years) --> payback (4 years) = so 7 years in the military. you'd get paid for your specialty only if you decide to stay after all your active duty obligation. ortho is level II, so if you sign up for 4 more years, you'd get $38,000 more per year (before tax). you can also google to find out more.

pay difference btw captain and major... please google for officer's pay. i think the difference is somewhere around 10,000.

Hi Krmower and all,

Talk to as many dental officers as you can about their deployment. You'll get a range of responses, but most of my friends agree it is one of the most thrilling things about being in the military. Don't get me wrong some people hated it as well. Some of my friends managed to avoid deployment through no fault of their own, but just by chance.

For myself, I saw it as an opportunity of a lifetime...I wasn't planning on staying in the military long, and this was my chance to do be a part of something much bigger than myself (all politics aside) and to serve my country. While it wasn't a vacation, it wasn't exactly hellish either. If you adapt well to new environments, and not introverted, you'll do fine. But as the army draws down, deployments seem fewer, and shorter (6 months max for most DDSs). My deployment was one of the greatest things I can say that I've done.

Fear and hesitation is legitimate, but the more you talk to other dental officers like us, the more at ease you'll be. Go into this with eyes wide open...if you still have any hesitation, then he military may not be for you.

While on ADT during dental school (school is year round so I will go on school orders) would I receive BAH based on my "permanent address" or based on the address I have while living at school?

While on ADT during dental school (school is year round so I will go on school orders) would I receive BAH based on my "permanent address" or based on the address I have while living at school?

It will be your school address. When you go active after you graduate, it will be based on your duty station.

I commission tomorrow. Im pumped. But yea scrolls suck. I sent mine off in early January and just got them back last week. Im still kind of confused about which residency to do after I graduate. My main goal is ortho but know my chances aren't too great. I plan on doing the payback and probably getting out so Im trying to decide whether I should do the 1 yr AEGD or 2 yr AEGD if I dont get into ortho (or if I should even do a residency with the Army)

Talk to as many dental officers as you can about their deployment. You'll get a range of responses, but most of my friends agree it is one of the most thrilling things about being in the military. Don't get me wrong some people hated it as well. Some of my friends managed to avoid deployment through no fault of their own, but just by chance.

For myself, I saw it as an opportunity of a lifetime...I wasn't planning on staying in the military long, and this was my chance to do be a part of something much bigger than myself (all politics aside) and to serve my country. While it wasn't a vacation, it wasn't exactly hellish either. If you adapt well to new environments, and not introverted, you'll do fine. But as the army draws down, deployments seem fewer, and shorter (6 months max for most DDSs). My deployment was one of the greatest things I can say that I've done.

Fear and hesitation is legitimate, but the more you talk to other dental officers like us, the more at ease you'll be. Go into this with eyes wide open...if you still have any hesitation, then he military may not be for you.

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it a lot :)

Hello,

I'm starting dental school in August and am interested in the 3 year hpsp.

Will there be any 3 year scholarships available (2010-2011 App cycle) ?
And if so, when should I start the process?

Lastly, for 3 yr scholarship, are the 1st yr d-school grades considered or does the army just look at undergrad gpa, dat, letter of rec and etc.

Thank you very much.

3yr hpsp gets sold out pretty quickly for some reason, so you should consider carefully. 3yrs for this year ran out pretty quickly last semester (D1).

I think the application is all the same, so you should contact the local recruiter as soon as possible and start compiling your packet. it doesn't hurt to do it while you have time. be sure to look into all 3 branches. the process can be very long, and it can get overwhelming to do on top of your deadly 1st year.

so i guess if you apply in your 1st semester D1, you have no grades yet, so they'd just look at your DAT, GPA, etc.

hope that helps.