Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long do people have to claim the scholarship if they are selected? Then do they just give it to the next person on the OML if they don't accept the scholarship?

No set time that I'm aware of. Yes they will offer to next person on OML.

Members don't see this ad.

No set time that I'm aware of. Yes they will offer to next person on OML.

Would my recruiter know what position I hold on the OML? Or would I have to contact someone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
when do we find out results of previous or next board? not sure since my recruiter turned everything in mid april.

If scholarships run out, will we automatically be put on 3 year scholarship waitlist? if so, when do we find that out? whats the process like

when do we find out results of previous or next board? not sure since my recruiter turned everything in mid april.

If scholarships run out, will we automatically be put on 3 year scholarship waitlist? if so, when do we find that out? whats the process like

The scholarships have all been given out (offered). THAT BEING SAID, A LARGE PORTION OF THE SCHOLARSHIPS HAVE NOT BEEN CLAIMED. What that means is - there are still people who have been offered the scholarship that are still deciding, waiting for waivers, etc... When will they decide...who knows. It is up to each person individually to make up their own minds. So people from the OML may be offerred the scholarships all the way up until school starts depending on when the other people turn them down.

So IT IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME TO APPLY. There are still very realistic chances that many of the people on the OML can be offered a 4 yr scholarship. Those that are not will be offered a 3 yr scholarship shortly after October 2010. They will have the opprotunity to accept/decline that. No new application will have to be submitted for those guys OML'd that are offered the 3 yr HPSP.

if a 4 year does become available right before school starts in august, is it possible to pass it up and be put on the 3 year scholarship waitlist?

I nominate krmower to write an Application, Due Date, Board Meeting Date, Board Timeline, and Order of Merit List FAQ list!

LOL

Someone mentioned to me the other day that their recruiter told them you have 5 business days to sign the paperwork after offered the scholarship. They are not buying their tickets to Europe because of it.. so they believe it. If this is true, then how are there so many unclaimed scholarships.. which is supposedly part of the reason some of us are on the OML?? And how does anyone know that there are so many unclaimed offers?

heard from my recruiter that 3-year HPSP from Army might not be available starting next year.

any truth in this statement?

But u know it is pretty sad how some of the recuiters are. I havent talked to my recuiter since March. I think I was put on the waiting list or he appeal the results but I really don't konw bc he doesn't answer his phone or email anymore. I guess I want do the army thing after all. This whole thing has been an very bad experience for me. U would think aperson would at least be a man and just tell me whats going on and not run away.

I am just curious about why HPSP are getting so competitive now. Is it because the bad economy? It used to be less than 50% of the positions filled. Maybe the army is throwing at people some more attractive packages? I know dental education tuition has been soaring....

I'll bet you it's the bonus. Personally, I thought without the bonus the HPSP was already a great deal. Now, an additional $20,000 is beyond icing on the cake, and it's the trigger to get those people who were just considering the scholarship to actually take advantage of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just curious about why HPSP are getting so competitive now. Is it because the bad economy? It used to be less than 50% of the positions filled. Maybe the army is throwing at people some more attractive packages? I know dental education tuition has been soaring....

More competative because of more competition. I think recruiting has done a much better job at getting the word out. Also I think websites like this have made more people aware. The economy is one side of it - but to someone who is just starting, I wonder how much the current economy is a part of their decission making.

One of the interesting things I've seen, is people get out - then want to come back in. The Army has had the ability to be picky about whom they allow back in, or in at all.

I nominate krmower to write an Application, Due Date, Board Meeting Date, Board Timeline, and Order of Merit List FAQ list!

LOL

Gee thanks. I'll get right on that...nothing else going on in my life right now:) Don't hold your breath!!!

I actually think all the information has been covered - at least several times over.

Someone mentioned to me the other day that their recruiter told them you have 5 business days to sign the paperwork after offered the scholarship. They are not buying their tickets to Europe because of it.. so they believe it. If this is true, then how are there so many unclaimed scholarships.. which is supposedly part of the reason some of us are on the OML?? And how does anyone know that there are so many unclaimed offers?

Local recruiting commands can establish a deadline for acceptance for locations they are over. It can very well be the case in that location.

Army-wide there is not a set time limit. So the answer is YMMV.

Is there any single website that breaks down which bases offer certain residencies? I have looked all over but can't seem to find anything without going to each individual website.

Is there any single website that breaks down which bases offer certain residencies? I have looked all over but can't seem to find anything without going to each individual website.

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii (1 residents per year)
Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas (2 per year)
Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, Washington (2 per year)
Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Fort Gordon (Augusta), Georgia (1 per year)
Fort Bragg, North Carolina (2 per year)
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington DC (2 per year)

Being an oral surgeon in the US Army this is the most updated and accurate numbers.

I'm assuming that there are still scholarships that have been awarded, but have not yet been claimed. What happens to the scholarships that have gotten awarded but then the person never gets back to their recruiter to accept the scholarship? Is there not a cutoff date to give it to someone else...July/Aug? Or does that funding just get lost in the paperwork?

I'm assuming that there are still scholarships that have been awarded, but have not yet been claimed. What happens to the scholarships that have gotten awarded but then the person never gets back to their recruiter to accept the scholarship? Is there not a cutoff date to give it to someone else...July/Aug? Or does that funding just get lost in the paperwork?

Recruiting command will eventually recind the offer if the local command doesn't have a policy. All scholarships will be awarded and accepted prior to the end of the fiscal year (I would assume much earlier than that - late summer).

When you say they will be given out and claimed by probably late summer you are referring to the 4 year right? Not the 3.5 that commissions in October. How do you know there are unclaimed scholarships now? Thanks for your help.

Does anyone have any idea on the statistics to get into the Army Pediatric Dental Residency right out of dental school. Also where are these residencies located? How can I improve my chances of getting a spot? I think that if I could get in here I would become a lifer, but I don't want to wait around and do some other residency program adding to my 4 year commitment just to "hope to someday be selected for pedo".

When you say they will be given out and claimed by probably late summer you are referring to the 4 year right? Not the 3.5 that commissions in October. How do you know there are unclaimed scholarships now? Thanks for your help.
Unlike the Navy, the Army typically does not do the 3.5 yr scholarships. If you don't get the 4 yr and you are offered the 3 yr scholarship after October - it will more than likely only be for 3 yrs.

Does anyone have any idea on the statistics to get into the Army Pediatric Dental Residency right out of dental school. Also where are these residencies located? How can I improve my chances of getting a spot? I think that if I could get in here I would become a lifer, but I don't want to wait around and do some other residency program adding to my 4 year commitment just to "hope to someday be selected for pedo".

Across all the services pediatrics is one of the specialties needed the least since family members are not seen in military clinics in the states (only overseas).

In the Army there is usually 1 spot available each year. applicant ratio for it over the past 4 yrs has been 1:4-1:5. Occassionally they will offer a second spot determined by need.

In the last 4 yrs no dental student has been accepted directly into the program, it has always gone to someone already in. So your chance directly out of school is slim.

Military service and your evaluations begin to play larger roles in getting selected when you are looking at the more competative specialties.

If you do pediatric dentistry in the Army you can plan on almost every other assignment being overseas.

Hello All,

I applied for 4 year hpsp and was selected but on the OML [May 4 board]. How likely is it that I'll be offered the 4 year scholarship? How about 3 years?

Thanks in advance.

Hello All,

I applied for 4 year hpsp and was selected but on the OML [May 4 board]. How likely is it that I'll be offered the 4 year scholarship? How about 3 years?

Thanks in advance.

No idea on the 4 year. Every board the OML will be reshuffled. You will have a great chance on the 3 year if you don't get the 4.

The pediatric dentist at my AEGD-1 yr was only allowed to see about 30 or so pediatric patients a year, I'm pretty sure he saw a few more than that but not nearly as many as a normal pediatric dentist who sees 20 kids a day. They limited him to pretty much only seeing pedo patients in the OR, which he got to do one day a week. The other four days a week he extracted teeth on adult soldiers. The AEGD residents went to the OR with him and helped with the OR cases, but we didn't get much of a pedo experience because the Army limited the number of pedo patients. That pediatric dentist got out of the Army as soon as he could, I'm sure you can see why. Pediatric dentists overseas may get to see more children, but unless the Army recently changed their policy the ones stateside are very restricted.

When I was in the Army, the pedo resident trained at Baylor. Not sure if that is still true as that was a couple years ago.

I know HPSP military ID is not like active duty ID but I'm wondering if I can access to the US milatary base OCONUS with HPSP military ID?
I'm traveling to foreign countries this summer, and I'd like to use PX to buy some gifts for my friends. Is this possible?
Thank you.

I know HPSP military ID is not like active duty ID but I'm wondering if I can access to the US milatary base OCONUS with HPSP military ID?
I'm traveling to foreign countries this summer, and I'd like to use PX to buy some gifts for my friends. Is this possible?
Thank you.

Yes. the ID card you have (reserve ID) while in HPSP entitles you to access the PX and commissary.

Yes. the ID card you have (reserve ID) while in HPSP entitles you to access the PX and commissary.

I know these questions are probably getting redundant, but has there been any movement on the OML? or will that not happen until later (i.e. July)?

Thanks

I already got selected and commissioned but my packet shows that it still hasnt been received on the MODS website. My recruiter says he sent it in and it is being processed and I believe him 100%. BUT my classes start on June 7th. If it doesnt get processed in time what happens? Will i get to start classes and everything?

I already got selected and commissioned but my packet shows that it still hasnt been received on the MODS website. My recruiter says he sent it in and it is being processed and I believe him 100%. BUT my classes start on June 7th. If it doesnt get processed in time what happens? Will i get to start classes and everything?

PLEASE! Have your recruiter check with his command. Have him check the computer system (DCA) for "call outs". In nearly all of these cases, there is something missing or just plain wrong with your packet and the recruiter needs to get if fixed.

There should be no problem with you starting your classes. The Army has been doing business with these dental schools for a long time and the schools all know that we are good for the money.

You are welcome to PM me if you still have any questions or concerns.

From my experience starting last fall, this whole process can take awhile. The school is fine with it, however not getting your stipend can kind of cramp your finances especially if you are getting a new apartment. Keep up with your recruiter at least weekly but don't expect your status to change until at least a month after school starts.

Last year I was commisioned in April and my paperwork wasn't completed until October.

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii (1 residents per year)
Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas (2 per year)
Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, Washington (2 per year)
Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Fort Gordon (Augusta), Georgia (1 per year)
Fort Bragg, North Carolina (2 per year)
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington DC (2 per year)

Being an oral surgeon in the US Army this is the most updated and accurate numbers.

then you should know that there is also a residency at William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Fort Bliss, TX. one resident per year. :)

Last year I was commisioned in April and my paperwork wasn't completed until October.

My paperwork is also delayed in command right now, and I was commissioned in April this year. My recruiter told me that there are no call outs in my packet, and that they are probably backed-up. I hope that it doesn't take until Oct......

then you should know that there is also a residency at William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Fort Bliss, TX. one resident per year. :)

Yeah, my bad. I personally know Dr. Turella, staff surgeon and Dr. Fallah, program director.

They just started Fort Bliss, TX residency this past July 1, 2009.

One of the interesting things I've seen, is people get out - then want to come back in. The Army has had the ability to be picky about whom they allow back in, or in at all.

Have you seen a lot of these cases? I am a former SM who is considering a return to the military to apply for an endodontic residency. It is surprising to see that I am not the only one taking this path.

Have you seen a lot of these cases? I am a former SM who is considering a return to the military to apply for an endodontic residency. It is surprising to see that I am not the only one taking this path.

Where you a dentist in the military? Those are who I am speaking of.

I have seen/heard of about a dozen or so over the past 12-18 months. Out of those there have been several that have been not selected. My office only gets those that need waivers - so there could be more than that that have applied.

I spoke to one active duty Navy dentist a few months ago. He was perio trained in the Army and transferred and went into the Navy as a general dentist (they didn't need any Periodontists). He is miserable and wants to come back - but there's no guarantees.

Prior service in general are totally different (enlisted or officer). OERs and NCOERs are looked at to weed out the bad apples, but prior service is a positive when applying to join.

Does anyone know if they allow you to perform clinical work during a military externship or do they just let you assist? I will be applying for externships next semester and want to know if it will be worth my time to do a military one, or if I should stick with something like an Indian Health Service externship (They let you basically do most procedures, so I've heard).

Does anyone know the statistics/ chances of getting into OMFS right out of dental school, a buddy of mine, who is also Army HPSP asked and I kind of want to know the answer too. Thanks.

Does anyone know if they allow you to perform clinical work during a military externship or do they just let you assist? I will be applying for externships next semester and want to know if it will be worth my time to do a military one, or if I should stick with something like an Indian Health Service externship (They let you basically do most procedures, so I've heard).

If you are Army HPSP they are not going to send you to do any other externship except Army. Also realize that part of the benefit of an externship is to see places and faces that may help you as you apply for programs or decide where to be stationed.

The DENCOM Commander published a policy on what is allowed for a 3rd year dental student and 4th year. I can email a copy to you if you want - PM your email to me. In a nutshell here is what it is.

A student between 2nd and 3rd year can do super gingival cleanings, make provisionals, hand excavate caries, exams, impressions, sealants, polish amalgams, lab procedures.

A student between 3rd and 4th year can do the same plus: place restorations (after they have been prepped), Sub gingival scaling, all aspects of prosth except prepping the teeth, simple ortho procedrues, give local anesthetic.

All procedures must be done with prior patient consent.

Does anyone know the statistics/ chances of getting into OMFS right out of dental school, a buddy of mine, who is also Army HPSP asked and I kind of want to know the answer too. Thanks.

Out of 10 spots available - the last 4 years have averaged 3 dental students (2,3,5,3). 2009 they had 5 accepted.