Ask an underdog MS1 anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very appreciative to see you here. I am a non traditional student and applied only of DO schools. I have an ok GPA and got enough in MCAT to apply to DO schools. Currently I have 2 DO interviews coming up next month and in January. I am hoping that I will get it. I have thought of doing what you are doing, thanks for doing it. My question is what did you do to prepare for the interview? What kinda questions should I expect? and any other tips you can give me. Thank you in advance.

You should research the interview feedback and see what kind of questions they have asked in the past. research the school and know what they offer there and be knowledgable about why you want to go there. most schools will have some version of why DO so have an answer ready for that.
but most importantly be yourself. they are mainly looking to ensure you are not too off in left field so just be yourself - it is very easy to tell when someone is not being truthful or being deceitful.

Members don't see this ad.

I live in our house which we bought before I entered med school. I had a one hour commute each way with traffic during the first two years and sometimes more while on clinicals.
First year I ended up getting a dorm room on campus and splitting time between there and home. Second year I shared an apartment off campus with a fellow non trad and did much the same thing.
While it is not ideal it can be done. And if you are looking at a long commute then I recommend using that drive time by listening to lectures, making audio flash cards etc.
With a family it is about making smart use of the time you do have so you can spend more time with them when you can

Thanks for the tip. Would definitely keep that in mind.

Thank you for your time!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Very appreciative to see you here. I am a non traditional student and applied only of DO schools. I have an ok GPA and got enough in MCAT to apply to DO schools. Currently I have 2 DO interviews coming up next month and in January. I am hoping that I will get it. I have thought of doing what you are doing, thanks for doing it. My question is what did you do to prepare for the interview? What kinda questions should I expect? and any other tips you can give me. Thank you in advance.

I read the threads on SDN School Specific section. Many people post the types of questions they were asked and there are also the "go-to" questions. Definitely know answers to things like, Why DO? Why Medicine? Why specific school? If they ask you about yourself, don't tell them the type of dog you have, but show what you have to offer. You can recite and practice so much, a lot of questions I was asked were completely random and there is no way to prep for them.

Good luck!

Bump! Please ask questions about med school and life in med school.

Bump! Please ask questions about med school and life in med school.

Hi I was wondering what are some of the most important factors to consider when choosing which DO school to attend? Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I was wondering what are some of the most important factors to consider when choosing which DO school to attend? Thanks

I think the first and foremost has to be how comfortable you are there when you interview
If you are not comfortable or think you would be unhappy then do not go there

Next is rotations. You want them to be established and not have to worry about setting them up or relocating.

I think next is curriculum. I was in a discipline based curriculum and I do not know if I could have survived in systems based. But that is a decision that only you can make .

Hope this helps some

Hardest part about medical school? go

Hardest part about medical school? go

Learning to adapt to the tremendous amount of material and ditching your tried and true study habits for new ones when you are banging your head against the wall with a subject *cough* histology *cough *

Learning to adapt to the tremendous amount of material and ditching your tried and true study habits for new ones when you are banging your head against the wall with a subject *cough* histology *cough *

What would you say was the hardest part in reference to juggling the demands of med school and being a mom?

What would you say was the hardest part in reference to juggling the demands of med school and being a mom?

I would say learning to let go - I had to focus on my studies and ask for help at home. Being a mom that was hard and I had to learn to let go and accept that things may not always be the way I wanted but the way things were .
That was tough and still occasionally is tough

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say learning to let go - I had to focus on my studies and ask for help at home. Being a mom that was hard and I had to learn to let go and accept that things may not always be the way I wanted but the way things were .
That was tough and still occasionally is tough
Thank you! Do you feel like you've missed out on anything solely because you are a med student? I feel like-in med school, school is your job. So time away from your family in class/studying might be similar to a woman in a 'normal' job that is demanding.... Of course this Is probably different in third & fourth year and of course in residency.. But then again I am not a med student so what do I know about anything?! ;)

Are there any resources like apps or books that you have now that you wish you would have had from day one? Also is it important to get to know your professors for letters of recommendation or are letters not important?

Thank you! Do you feel like you've missed out on anything solely because you are a med student? I feel like-in med school, school is your job. So time away from your family in class/studying might be similar to a woman in a 'normal' job that is demanding.... Of course this Is probably different in third & fourth year and of course in residency.. But then again I am not a med student so what do I know about anything?! ;)

We have tried to keep life as normal as possible for the kids. We limited them to one thing per season so we were not overrun.
I have become the master multitasker - so I would take books with me to practice or games and study between innings or when they were on the bench.
I feel like I am torn between two worlds all the time - the med school me and the mom me but no more than I imagine I would if I was working a "normal" 9-5 job.
The only major thing I missed was my youngest's first day of kindergarten as I had an exam that morning.
Other than that - I have been there for everything. I have not been able to be as involved in the planning of things as I would like but at least I am there.

Are there any resources like apps or books that you have now that you wish you would have had from day one? Also is it important to get to know your professors for letters of recommendation or are letters not important?

books - Constanzo physiology for the renal section, Respiratory physiology was awesome, Grays anatomy for students . Apps - maybe epocrates free or medscape.

You will not get letters for residency applications until after your third year so it is more important to get to know your clinical professors and make a good impression when you can so they know you as a person.

If you are talking medical school LOR then yes you should ask professors who know you well and have had you for more than one class ideally.

We have tried to keep life as normal as possible for the kids. We limited them to one thing per season so we were not overrun.
I have become the master multitasker - so I would take books with me to practice or games and study between innings or when they were on the bench.
I feel like I am torn between two worlds all the time - the med school me and the mom me but no more than I imagine I would if I was working a "normal" 9-5 job.
The only major thing I missed was my youngest's first day of kindergarten as I had an exam that morning.
Other than that - I have been there for everything. I have not been able to be as involved in the planning of things as I would like but at least I am there.
Thank you so much for taking time to respond! I do not have children yet, but I am 26 now and by the time I start school (assuming I get in on my first try) I'll be turning 28. So having kids right before or while in med school is a very real possibility. I just want to be sure I know what to expect!

Would it be a wise thing to plan on having a baby during 4th yr?

Would it be a wise thing to plan on having a baby during 4th yr?
Maybe later half

You are interviewing thru January so I do not know how having a newborn would work if you were traveling, breast feeding etc

If you delivered in late January you would still have a ~6 month old by July which is sleeping through the night and is becoming fairly independent

What helped you succeed most in medical school?

What kinds of study habits did you newly form?

Can someone describe "a day in life" of a first/second year med student?

My best friend is currently attending a a medical school. He tells me that after deducting sleeping/bathroom/driving/studying, he is left with only 2 hours a day to do whatever he wants to do. How accurate is this? I realize that the medical curriculum is consuming, but is it that consuming that it leaves you no room to have a social life?

My best friend is currently attending a a medical school. He tells me that after deducting sleeping/bathroom/driving/studying, he is left with only 2 hours a day to do whatever he wants to do. How accurate is this? I realize that the medical curriculum is consuming, but is it that consuming that it leaves you no room to have a social life?
prob so at schools that require attendance, but i would like to know this as well

In all fairness, I'm a bit of a slacker (in comparison to others) and I have a relatively chill class schedule (PBL). That said, I'm in class ~3-4 hours a day, in order to really finish the material once over (which I unfortunately rarely do - but hoping to change that) I need a solid 4-6 hours a day for studying, and sleep needs to be about 7 or so hours. That leaves what, ~7-8 hours in the day for travel, cooking & eating, shower/bathroom, exercise, errands (dry-cleaning, washing clothes/dishes, etc), and keeping myself sane.

The 2 hours a day left sounds realistic, but it also means you'll be doing pretty well in school, probably above the average. I know other people with kids that do OK, but they are just dynamite at keeping their time tight.

I go to a school without mandatory attendance but lately I've been going to all my classes and I think it's helped me out. How much free time I have depends on what test(s) I have coming up, and how efficiently I've studied during the day (I have good days and bad days). I would say most week nights I've got about two hours (maybe a little more) free to eat dinner, help put the kids to bed and watch a TV episode with my wife. I try get up early and try to study for an hour or two before class. I tend I sacrifice sleep though, some nights I only get 5-6 hours. That's my fault though, I have a hard time going to bed earlier that 11:00.

I had 3, just luck of the draw. I started studying for my MCAT's in June, then took some time off due to unforeseen circumstances and traveled, then came back and started up again, then stopped a month later. I would say I put in 3 months on and off, and 5 solid months. I took princeton, that was a waste of time and money, after princeton my practice MCAT's were in their low 20's. After 5 solid months I received an awful score that barely broke 20's. Then I studied for 4 more months with EK and Princeton. For me, the key was practice exams. Studying content was very aggravating and exhausting, but practice exams were great. I also got 2 tutors for Physics and Orgo, and retook Gen Chem at a CC. MCAT was very difficult.
When you mention that studying the content was aggravating/exhausting, did you simply do practice questions and exams? I am using TBR (bio major) and I find the content nauseatingly repetitive more often than not.

How do you keep your sanity in Medschool? Pre-meds always make undergrad to be very difficult and stressful but medschool sounds much much much more difficult. Wondernig how exactly you make this adjustment...

I'm 2rd year at a UC, and I did not do well in biology class and Organic chemistry classes. My school goes by quarter system, and local CCs go by semesters. I'm planning to retake first 2 quarters of biology and organic chemistry courses.
kc0X8t

Take mine with a grain of salt since I obviously have other people to take care of but here was my general schedule the first two years :

Monday - Friday
Up at 5:30-6 am shower while listening to recorded lectures or audio flash cards I made for myself, get kids up at 6:15 and get them breakfast. While running around and getting their stuff together keep listening to whatever I was doing. Drop girls off at bus stop at 7:11 then drop boy off at my patents then head into school. My drive in would alternate between chilling and listening to mike & mike or doing audio flash cards. Class from 9-3 or 5 sometimes earlier depending on day. On every break refresh my memory in what was coming up, make sure I got any questions answered and generally gear up for next class. Take the opportunity to study over lunch hour (gave me extra time in the evening with the kiddos). After class go home listening to ESPN - my decompress time. Get kids, go home. Finish dinner - while fixing dinner study using notes and whiteboard outside my kitchen while stopping to answer homework questions etc. family dinner at 6 pm - no books or anything . Pretend lecture lightly and help get kids to bed until about 8 when they go to bed. From 8 pm - 11 pm study whatever I needed to work on.
Get up the next morning and rinse and repeat :)

Reactions: 2 users
Take mine with a grain of salt since I obviously have other people to take care of but here was my general schedule the first two years :

Monday - Friday
Up at 5:30-6 am shower while listening to recorded lectures or audio flash cards I made for myself, get kids up at 6:15 and get them breakfast. While running around and getting their stuff together keep listening to whatever I was doing. Drop girls off at bus stop at 7:11 then drop boy off at my patents then head into school. My drive in would alternate between chilling and listening to mike & mike or doing audio flash cards. Class from 9-3 or 5 sometimes earlier depending on day. On every break refresh my memory in what was coming up, make sure I got any questions answered and generally gear up for next class. Take the opportunity to study over lunch hour (gave me extra time in the evening with the kiddos). After class go home listening to ESPN - my decompress time. Get kids, go home. Finish dinner - while fixing dinner study using notes and whiteboard outside my kitchen while stopping to answer homework questions etc. family dinner at 6 pm - no books or anything . Pretend lecture lightly and help get kids to bed until about 8 when they go to bed. From 8 pm - 11 pm study whatever I needed to work on.
That sounds pretty busy... Idk how you even learn anything while taking a shower or while driving to school. But I can actually see you getting a lot done in those last 3 hours. Imguessing attendance was mandatory for you?

Monday - Friday
My day was pretty similar to this, except I'm a dad. Definitely more difficult for a mom.

That sounds pretty busy... Idk how you even learn anything while taking a shower or while driving to school. But I can actually see you getting a lot done in those last 3 hours. Imguessing attendance was mandatory for you?

Non mandatory attendance I just process better if I hear after looking things over

Like I said audio flash cards - like actual flash cards but in audio format I wound ask a question then pause then say answer. Great for on the go review when you can not be reading

What helped you succeed most in medical school?

What kinds of study habits did you newly form?

Flexibility helped most - realizing you may need to change things up

It depended on the class - some class had more organized note packets than others. If it was disorganized (at least in my brain thought) then I would type an outline in word using billeted lists to redo.

My favorite tip was to try to remember something new each time you looked at a subject. Ie - brachial plexus - first pass write/draw structure with names then add a muscle innervated to each nerve then add what the action is then add clinical deficits etc. that way you build on knowledge base every time you see something.

Or you say I know these three things about kidney solute handling then next time it is seven etcetc etc

How do you keep your sanity in Medschool? Pre-meds always make undergrad to be very difficult and stressful but medschool sounds much much much more difficult. Wondernig how exactly you make this adjustment...

Take time for what is important. For me it was making sure we had dinner as a family together and we kept our tradition if having one lunch together on weekend.

Keep in mind it is only temporary and this too will pass and when you are in clinic you will marvel over how fast it all went and that marvel will increase when you are applying for residencies and are 5 1/2 months away from having your own long white coat :)