Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The amount of time you can expect to be on a carrier is 2 years unless you request for a 1 year extension. Now, not all this time is out to sea. But, the amount of time will vary depending on where in the ship's cycle you transfer to the ship. It could be as little as 50% of the time at sea if you happen to fall in the cycle at the right time or as much as 70% if you are aren't as fortunate enough. I happened to be attached to the carrier for 3 years. I just happened to attach to the ship as the ship was coming out of the yard period where it had undergone 4 1/2 months of maintenance following a deployment. This meant that we went to sea for the first time shortly after getting to the ship. You undergo the work-ups and qualifications which can vary from a week to 2 months long. These are needed to get ready for deployment. In the 37 months I was attached to the ship, I was out to sea for 27 months. Yes, being out to sea that much did stink at times, but I had already been dealing with being away from my wife because of her schooling, so we had already been facing separation at that point. But, coming home - well, that was nice!:D:D:D Being out to sea really wasn't bad all the time. You would get into a routine and stay busy. In off time, you can exercise, play games, catch up on movies, get your SWDO warfare device, etc. Then, there are the port calls which are nice. In my 3 yrs on the ship, I deployed twice. We made port calls in Hawaii, Guam, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, South Korea, Australia, Tasmania, and Hong Kong . If you get stationed on the East coast, then you get port calls in the Mediteranean Sea and other places.

As a newlywed, I feel disconcerted about being out of the country or away for any period of time. My recruiter explained that in 4 years of time as a Navy dentist, I should expect the first 3 years to be at a dental clinic or base of my choosing most likely. However, the above conversation leads me to believe this is not so. How much say do I have in this? Is my recruiter misinforming me?
btw, I'm applying for Navy HPSP to enter dental school in 2012.

Members don't see this ad.

As a newlywed, I feel disconcerted about being out of the country or away for any period of time. My recruiter explained that in 4 years of time as a Navy dentist, I should expect the first 3 years to be at a dental clinic or base of my choosing most likely. However, the above conversation leads me to believe this is not so. How much say do I have in this? Is my recruiter misinforming me?
btw, I'm applying for Navy HPSP to enter dental school in 2012.

There may be an element of choice, but probably not the choices you were hoping for. It's usually a choice like Japan, Camp Lejeune or 29 palms for a young LT. You have to pay your dues to get the nice billets. Do NOT join the Navy if you want control over where you live. Of course some people luck out and get stationed in great places. Also you are silly to think you are gonna join the Navy and not spend time on a ship or deployed with Marines. Plan on being with a deployable unit at least 2 of the 4 years.

There may be an element of choice, but probably not the choices you were hoping for. It's usually a choice like Japan, Camp Lejeune or 29 palms for a young LT. You have to pay your dues to get the nice billets. Do NOT join the Navy if you want control over where you live. Of course some people luck out and get stationed in great places. Also you are silly to think you are gonna join the Navy and not spend time on a ship or deployed with Marines. Plan on being with a deployable unit at least 2 of the 4 years.

What are considered some of the good places to be stationed ?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are considered some of the good places to be stationed ?

It really depends on what you like. Places that are often highly requested are Naples, Italy; Rota, Spain; Hawaii; San Diego. Some people like Pensacola, but for dentistry it really is a small clinic. I am partial to the Seattle area because of the cooler weather, the mountains, the water, skiing, hiking, and other mountainous outdoor activites.

I am looking into military scholarships and have a BIG question. I am a type one diabetic, and have celiac disease. Would I still be eligible for a military scholarship?

I am looking into military scholarships and have a BIG question. I am a type one diabetic, and have celiac disease. Would I still be eligible for a military scholarship?

Realistically, for the Navy, it is highly unlikely you would be allowed to qualify for the scholarship. Type 1 diabetes is generally considered to be a non-waiverable medical condition. Although celiac disease is not listed in the COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1131.2E as either a waiverable or non-waiverable condition, due to the nature of the disease I highly doubt the powers to be in the officer's programs department would consider it to be waiverable. So, with 2 medical conditions that would generally be considered non-waiverable, I highly doubt they would make an acceptance in your case. Now, that doesn't mean you cannot try and submit an application. They do make exceptions a times.

My recruiter said the HPSP application process begins October 1st, but he did not know when they actually start rewarding scholarships. Does anyone know?

My recruiter said the HPSP application process begins October 1st, but he did not know when they actually start rewarding scholarships. Does anyone know?

The application process doesn't start on Oct 1st. That is when they start rewarding the new scholarships for the federal government fiscal year which is Oct 1 through Sept 30. If this year is like last year, then if start the application process on Oct 1st, then you won't get a scholarship. All HPSP scholarships were given out by the end of Nov. The application process usually takes around 12 weeks minimum. So, if you waited until Oct 1st to start, then it wouldn't be ready for selection until Jan which would be late if it is like this past year. I would recommend starting your application RIGHT NOW! They start selection for the new fiscal year sometime in Sept. If your recruiter is unwilling to give you the application right now, let me know and I can help get things going for you.

I'm a 4th year dental student under HPSP. When should I expect to hear from a detailer regarding orders for the credentialing tour? How does the detailer process work if I'm not doing AEGD or residency?

I'm a 4th year dental student under HPSP. When should I expect to hear from a detailer regarding orders for the credentialing tour? How does the detailer process work if I'm not doing AEGD or residency?

Sorry, I can't answer that for you, but I can get you in touch with the detailer and ask him directly. If you do, let me know and I will PM you the info.

Contact the detailer now, because the available slots fill up. I did my credentialing tour out of Parris Island, SC. I highly recommend Parris Island as your credentialing tour location. Very good senior leadership and exposure to general dentistry/endo/os. I'm currently stationed on the USS Stennis.

Detailer is currently CAPT Arthur George. His email is [email protected]

Contact the detailer now, because the available slots fill up. I did my credentialing tour out of Parris Island, SC. I highly recommend Parris Island as your credentialing tour location. Very good senior leadership and exposure to general dentistry/endo/os. I'm currently stationed on the USS Stennis.

Detailer is currently CAPT Arthur George. His email is [email protected]

corey, not trying to be picky here. When referring to her (your ship), it is the USS John C Stennis or The Stennis, but not the USS Stennis. The Lincoln is the USS Abraham Lincoln, not the USS Lincoln, etc.

I would love to be in your shoes right now and be stationed in Bremerton. Loved my 3 years there on the Chucky V.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if this topic has already been addressed in the forum, but I wanted to know if anyone has experience with their medical evaluation and disqualifing health conditions. I recently found out that I have a incredibly minor bleeding condition that would regularly disqualify me from the military and would not be eligible for a medical waiver. BUT, maybe they would overlook this for a dentist? I don't want to take my chances with the waiver in case it is turned down but I also don't want to lie and risk getting caught.

Well, time has come to say good-bye. I am through posting here on SDN. If anyone wants my 2 cents, PM me. I will not be checking SDN anymore unless I receive notification that someone has PM'ed me asking for some info. So, for those of you who are trying to decide if the military is right for you, good luck in that decision. For those of you who have decided to go Navy, I'll see you in the fleet! Fair winds and following seas!

I am red green color blind. I am assuming that this does not disqualify me for HPSP. Am I correct?

Does anybody have the board results for Navy specialties the last couple years? I'm looking for the chart that shows #applied/#accepted for comprehensive dentistry, endo, etc. I found the information from 2006, but I'm looking for more recent information.

Thanks!

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!!

I'm applying to dental school right now and I'm considering taking a navy scholarship (not just for the money, but because I think being in the navy would be a good experience). I am a little concerned about the monthly living stipend though. Granted, it's much better than the $0 I would get every month if I didn't take the scholarship, and $2000 is a considerable amount of money. But, I know that if I chose a school in a city (Boston, NYC, San Fran), etc, I may spend half of my stipend just on housing alone. I also have a car payment, insurance, utilities, food, etc, and it would be nice to not eat Ramen every night. I currently have a job where I take home about 2G after taxes each month, and there certainely isn't a lot extra. Do scholarship recipients every have to take out small loans for living? Or does the extra cash from the bonus cover this?
Also, is this stipend taxed? or do we get the full $2000 every month?

Navy Instruction for the HPSP program. This is the "doctrine" on how the Navy set up the program.

I found this online via google. Its broken into two parts due to file size limitations of the forum.

Read it and most, if not all, your questions will be answered.

Attachments

• NAVMEDMPTEINST 1520.1D STUDENT PROGRAMS HANDBOOK Part one.pdf
    332.4 KB · Views: 138
  • NAVMEDMPTEINST 1520.1D STUDENT PROGRAMS HANDBOOK Part two.pdf
    338.2 KB · Views: 84
I'm applying to dental school right now and I'm considering taking a navy scholarship (not just for the money, but because I think being in the navy would be a good experience). I am a little concerned about the monthly living stipend though. Granted, it's much better than the $0 I would get every month if I didn't take the scholarship, and $2000 is a considerable amount of money. But, I know that if I chose a school in a city (Boston, NYC, San Fran), etc, I may spend half of my stipend just on housing alone. I also have a car payment, insurance, utilities, food, etc, and it would be nice to not eat Ramen every night. I currently have a job where I take home about 2G after taxes each month, and there certainely isn't a lot extra. Do scholarship recipients every have to take out small loans for living? Or does the extra cash from the bonus cover this?
Also, is this stipend taxed? or do we get the full $2000 every month?

The stipend is taxed. You will not be able to take out additional federal loans if you are on the scholarship (the Gov. has nixed that one). You can, however, take out private loans from certain banks...at your own risk. They will get you on some incredibly high rates. Good luck!

You will not be able to take out additional federal loans if you are on the scholarship (the Gov. has nixed that one).

I think this is dependent on your school. I am an HPSP student, and I was able to take out both subsidized and unsubsidized federal student loans this year.

You will not be able to take out additional federal loans if you are on the scholarship (the Gov. has nixed that one).

Read the files that I attached above. It states that you cannot accept loans, scholarships IF they require a commitment.

Also, the HSCP program allows loans as well as participation in the GI bill. Its a good program as the time in d-school counts towards your total time in the military. Not to confuse this with your obligated time after d-school, but the difference is that with the HPSP you would be a O-3 with less than 2 years where as with the HSCP you would be an O-3 with 4 years.

But the HSCP would work well with an "in-state" tuition level versus the HPSP would cover all required costs (except for computers, PDA's which need to be rented) for in-state and out of state.

I think this is dependent on your school. I am an HPSP student, and I was able to take out both subsidized and unsubsidized federal student loans this year.

You're lucky man. I called up the Dep of Edu because my school wouldn't allow me to take out those loans...apparently as the law goes, if you're on HPSP you aren't supposed to...but some schools has decided to ignore that...you're one of the lucky ones.

After realizing the reality of debt that dental school will bring me I have begun to strongly consider one of these military scholarships. These question may have already been answered in the many posts on here but I was wondering as a first year dental student:
1. Am I still eligible for a 4 year scholarship?
2. If I am eligible for a 4 year scholarship will they pay off my first year and reimburse me for instruments, loupes, books, etc. ?
3. If I am only eligible for a 3 year scholarship from this point am I eligible for a signing bonus or is that only for 4 year scholarship awards?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have researched the Navy hpsp program a lot and I know that I want to apply. However, I have been unable to get a hold of a recruiter who can get me started on the app process. I have called my local Navy and Air Force recruiters and also non-local recruiters. Can anyone help me get in touch with a good recruiter? Is it getting too late to apply now? Thanks!

I was curious as to what a typical day was like on deployment for a Navy Dentist(schedule)? Is there shift work? How many hours? What entertainment is there on down time? What equipment do you have on the ship? Difference between green side and blue side deployment other than ship vs. land?

Hi there, I'm currently a senior Undergrad at the University at Buffalo and I was wondering when I need to apply for the scholarship. I know that dental students usually apply during their first/second year, but as a student under the early assurance program, I was hoping I could apply earlier. Early assurance at Buffalo, however, is conditional the student needs to maintain a 3.7 overall GPA every semester and get a 20/30 on their DAT's academic average, PAT and Reading Comprehension.
Now that I'm in my last year, I only have two more semesters before dental school. I will also be DAT's in November. So, just to sum it up, is it possible for an undergrad senior in the Early Assurance Dental Program to apply during undergrad. Thank you! :)

What are all the steps for applying for the Navy HPSP?

Here was my application experience:

1) Contact recruiter. Fill out preliminary 2 page application for eligibility.
2) Recruiter gives you more forms if eligible. Lots of paperwork.
3) Meet up with recruiter to fill out and sign all remaining paperwork.
4) Set up and attend a physical. Usually MEPS
5) Make sure references send in their evaluations and the medical forms get sent over. Attend an interview with an officer dentist.
6) Once everything is complete, send letter of acceptance and academic year form ASAP. Dec 1st is preferable, extremely time sensitive.

Hope that helps. Total time is like a month or two.

As a navy dentist, you go on a ship.

Are you on a destroyer or cruiser??? or what types of boat? And would you be the only dentist in a ship???

I have read here that a carrier has 5 dentists. How likely is it to go on a carrier over other ships??
I think that it is better to have other dentists around you.

thanks!

I was curious as to what a typical day was like on deployment for a Navy Dentist(schedule)? Is there shift work? How many hours? What entertainment is there on down time? What equipment do you have on the ship? Difference between green side and blue side deployment other than ship vs. land?

It seems like many people are curious about the life as a dentist in the Navy, so am I. Based on what I know, as a junior officer you can be sent to a ship, the marines, or the seabees. I asked the same question on a navy facebook forum, and the folks gave really helpful responses about their experience. Check it out.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=58255525412&topic=4633

go to the last page (pg 13)

Hey everyone! I am currently a first year dental student and Navy HPSP recipient, and I am also becoming increasingly interested in pediatric dentistry. I am excited about serving in the Navy after completing dental school, but was wondering if there are any opportunities available for pediatric dentists and if the Navy has a residency available for this specialty. I realize there is likely not a major need for pediatric dentists in the Navy, but was curious as to whether there are any at all, what their work/routine consisted of, and whether the Navy offered a residency in pediatrics. If any one knows any of this information, or where I might be able to find it, I'd really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Hey everyone! I am currently a first year dental student and Navy HPSP recipient, and I am also becoming increasingly interested in pediatric dentistry. I am excited about serving in the Navy after completing dental school, but was wondering if there are any opportunities available for pediatric dentists and if the Navy has a residency available for this specialty. I realize there is likely not a major need for pediatric dentists in the Navy, but was curious as to whether there are any at all, what their work/routine consisted of, and whether the Navy offered a residency in pediatrics. If any one knows any of this information, or where I might be able to find it, I'd really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Your answer is yes and no. Yes the Navy has some pediatric residency, however, it's contingent on the needs of the Navy. It's not offered every year, and typical it'll be difficult to get it straight out of school. You could potentially go the civilian route out of school and go with consecutive(adding time) payback, or if you're willing to wait after you've been in the military a while, pedo might open up for you down the road going with concurrent(neutral years while in residency).

Is it possible to attend the ODS training after we are accepted for HPSP, but before we begin dental school? I'm a 4 year HPSP applicant in the middle of a gap year. Just wondering since it seems easier to attend now than trying to find time during school or immediately after.

Is it possible to attend the ODS training after we are accepted for HPSP, but before we begin dental school? I'm a 4 year HPSP applicant in the middle of a gap year. Just wondering since it seems easier to attend now than trying to find time during school or immediately after.

I was told that was not an option when I was awarded a 4 year scholarship for the class of 2014. If you can't fit it in during dental school, you'll have to go after graduation. I went during the summer between freshman and sophomore year.

There was a guy in my class who did that. In fact, I believe it is optimal. This way you get a little cash the summer before school starts up. Otherwise, you won't get anything until a couple of weeks after school starts. The hard part is getting it set up. You should contact the Medical/Dental Officer Recruiter for the area where your dental school is located. If you don't know who that is, the financial aid department at your school should be able to help you find out.

Hi, I will be graduating next year May and would like to know about which scholarship(for paying off student loans) is offered for a licensed dentist? I searched on the web but most of them is showing a wide range instead of a more accurate amount. For situation like me (a new grad), how much is offered in the package?
Anyone know the advantage/disadvantage comparing navy and army?
thanks alot,

Hi, I will be graduating next year May and would like to know about which scholarship(for paying off student loans) is offered for a licensed dentist? I searched on the web but most of them is showing a wide range instead of a more accurate amount. For situation like me (a new grad), how much is offered in the package?
Anyone know the advantage/disadvantage comparing navy and army?
thanks alot,

Let's get our terminology straight. Scholarships are for students. That's it. Once your a dentist you are looking for student loan reimbursement plans, direct accession bonuses, sign on bonuses, that sort of thing.

Your answer is yes and no. Yes the Navy has some pediatric residency, however, it's contingent on the needs of the Navy. It's not offered every year, and typical it'll be difficult to get it straight out of school. You could potentially go the civilian route out of school and go with consecutive(adding time) payback, or if you're willing to wait after you've been in the military a while, pedo might open up for you down the road going with concurrent(neutral years while in residency).

The Navy does not have a pediatric residency or ortho residency. These specialists are trained in civilian programs. The main need for pediatric dentists is overseas for children of active duty members. There are some billets here in the states but not many.

I have known several people interested in pediatric dentistry and have been told no when asked to apply for training. As was stated, it is based on the needs of the Navy and the needs aren't great.

I believe the current rate for direct accessions - people that have already graduated from dental school, is $150k.

The only problem in attending before school starts is that you are not technically on the scholarhip yet - which also means you are not technically a commissioned officer until school starts. If you have already taken your oath of office it may be possible but I would check with HPSP admins to get the straight answer.

What happens if you are injured while on active duty during your payback forthe HPSP or HSCP? I'm talking about an orthopedic injury due to a recreational activitythat requires surgery for example. Are you kicked out and required to reimbursethe Navy?

What about if this happens while in dental school under the HSCP or HPSP?Will they let you get yourself fixed up with no penalty, as long as you canpass the PRT?

Hi
I am a licensed dentist, did 1 year of OMS internship and currently attending 1 yr anesthesia fellowship. I'm interested in OMS. I was wondering if Navy has any OMS program ? if yes, is there any opportunity to join navy OMS residency program and how?
I appreciate any information

Where are the Navy specialty programs located? I found the 1-year AEGD locations, and the link to the 2-year Comprehensive program at Walter Reed, but where are OMFS, endo, etc. located? And how many residents are at each site?

Hi
I am a licensed dentist, did 1 year of OMS internship and currently attending 1 yr anesthesia fellowship. I'm interested in OMS. I was wondering if Navy has any OMS program ? if yes, is there any opportunity to join navy OMS residency program and how?
I appreciate any information

The Navy has a four year OMS residency. You have to be in the Navy to apply for Navy residencies.

Where are the Navy specialty programs located? I found the 1-year AEGD locations, and the link to the 2-year Comprehensive program at Walter Reed, but where are OMFS, endo, etc. located? And how many residents are at each site?

The Naval Postgraduate Dental school is in Bethesda, Maryland. All specialty residencies are there. For OMS, there are residencies at Bethesda, Portsmouth, and San Diego with two residents selected each year at each hospital (six total). I don't know the number of residents for other specialties.

I was wondering if anyone knows when the HPSP selection committee begins accepting students into the program?