Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if HSCP recipients are able to attend ODS prior to dental school?

No, you can't attend ODS until after you graduate. ODS is for direct commissioned officers, and unlike HPSP students, HSCP students do not receive their commission until graduation from dental school. As an HSCP student, you will not have a rank and cannot wear a uniform, so you can't go to ODS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No, you can't attend ODS until after you graduate. ODS is for direct commissioned officers, and unlike HPSP students, HSCP students do not receive their commission until graduation from dental school. As an HSCP student, you will not have a rank and cannot wear a uniform, so you can't go to ODS.

This is correct except for the last sentence. HSCP students do have ranks. Your rank/rate is E-6/OC1 or E-7/OCCPO. Both are enlisted ranks. You cannot attend ODS until you have placed on an officer rank. Since students in the HSCP program are enlisted until after they graduate from dental school, they do not qualify for ODS training until after graduation from dental school.

This is correct except for the last sentence. HSCP students do have ranks. Your rank/rate is E-6/OC1 or E-7/OCCPO. Both are enlisted ranks.

I heard a story about an HSCP student that was on the Dean's List, so he was given the E-7 pay grade. He assumed that gave him the rank of Chief Petty Officer, so he went out and bought some khakis and some CPO anchors. So, OCCPO Schmuckatelli showed up at the Chief's Induction wearing his khakis and anchors with no ribbons. My guess is that he got a warm welcome from the real Chiefs there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a story about an HSCP student that was on the Dean's List, so he was given the E-7 pay grade. He assumed that gave him the rank of Chief Petty Officer, so he went out and bought some khakis and some CPO anchors. So, OCCPO Schmuckatelli showed up at the Chief's Induction wearing his khakis and anchors with no ribbons. My guess is that he got a warm welcome from the real Chiefs there.
The chief's mess where I went to school offered to allow me to go through initiation with the newly selected chiefs. I politely declined as the rank of E-7 is given to HSCP students and not truly earned. I could have, but wanted nothing to do with it.

The chief's mess where I went to school offered to allow me to go through initiation with the newly selected chiefs. I politely declined as the rank of E-7 is given to HSCP students and not truly earned. I could have, but wanted nothing to do with it.

I'm actually surprised they made that offer. I've seen more than one Chief get visibly upset when they hear about HSCP students being E-7s. I guess some are a bit more laid back, but I can only imagine how some CPOs would react to a non-prior HSCP student showing up to an induction.

At my last station one of the brand new MSC O2s came in saying he was a former chief. He was quickly corrected.

A lot of mustangs and CPOs get annoyed by HSCP students wearing the Good Conduct Medal, which is technically earned for the four years of honirable service but at the same time isn't really earned.

Change of subject for a little bit, can someone in the Navy mind to tell me do they have anyone have spouse in other service?

My wife will be a AF physician and I am hoping to commission through Navy. Can anyone here mind to share their knowledge on the joint-spouse possibilities for such situation?

I know the simple solution is we stay in a same service, let me just say due to current situation is highly unlikely and it's a long story.

It's doable but difficult as there are only a few places where you can be colocated, such as Hampton Roads (Langley AFB), DC area (Andrews/Walter Reed) and San Antonio (lots of joint service stuff, but not much Navy). Overseas, probably Okinawa.

The MHS is currently moving towards joint multi-service markets which will more closely integrate military facilities in each region, so the opportunities for AF docs to work at Navy hospitals and vice-versa should improve, but very slowly.

It's doable but difficult as there are only a few places where you can be colocated, such as Hampton Roads (Langley AFB), DC area (Andrews/Walter Reed) and San Antonio (lots of joint service stuff, but not much Navy). Overseas, probably Okinawa.

The MHS is currently moving towards joint multi-service markets which will more closely integrate military facilities in each region, so the opportunities for AF docs to work at Navy hospitals and vice-versa should improve, but very slowly.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that, hopefully that can be up to speed when the time comes.

Not sure if this has been answered, I tried looking but can't find it. Sorry if I'm repeating a question...
For HPSP students, when can we get our military ID at the earliest?

Thanks

Not sure if this has been answered, I tried looking but can't find it. Sorry if I'm repeating a question...
For HPSP students, when can we get our military ID at the earliest?

Thanks

I don't think you get a military ID as an HPSP student... (NOT sure :) )I was told by my recruiter that HSCP students get them..

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you get a military ID as an HPSP student... (NOT sure :) )I was told by my recruiter that HSCP students get them..

Yes, you will get a reserve (green) military ID as an HPSP student, as well as an active duty Common Access Card if you want, during your 45 day of active duty time each year. You are actually required to have a military ID card. From the HPSP student handbook...

1-8. Identification Cards
1. While in the program, students are required to have a valid
Armed Forces Identification (ID) Card in their possession. This
card allows access to military facilities in order to use all
entitled privileges, such as the commissary and exchange.
2. New or Lost ID Cards: To obtain a new ID card or in the
event that a participant’s ID card is lost or stolen, contact
MDAD at (301)319-4529/32/34 or [email protected]. MDAD will
forward a copy of the participant’s Oath of Office (if
HPSP/FAP/NADS) or DD Form 4 (if a Nurse Candidate) to the
participant. The participant must take the Oath of Office/DD
Form 4 to the nearest Military Personnel Support Detachment
(PSD) or ID card issuing facility to have the ID card issued.
At least one photo ID (passport, driver's license, etc.) is
required by the PSD or ID card issuing facility for verification
purposes prior to obtaining an ID. Participants should take two
with them when they go for a military ID card.
3. Dependent ID Cards: If dependent ID cards are required,
contact MDAD at (301)319-4529/32/34 or [email protected].
The Accessions Department will forward a copy of the
participant’s Oath of Office (if HPSP/FAP/NADS) or DD Form 4 (if
a Nurse Candidate) to the participant. Participants should take
their marriage license and birth certificates for children (as
appropriate) along with the Oath of Office form to the nearest
Military PSD or ID card issuing facility to have the request for
a dependent ID card authorized. The participant should take the
dependent to the ID card facility if the intent is to leave with
an ID card in hand.
4. The nearest ID card issuing facility can be found using the
military's RAPIDS Site Locator website:
http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/owa/home. If unable to find a
facility, the participant may contact the MDAD Systems Section
via e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at (301)319-
4529/32/34.

Yes, you will get a reserve (green) military ID as an HPSP student, as well as an active duty Common Access Card if you want, during your 45 day of active duty time each year. You are actually required to have a military ID card. From the HPSP student handbook...

1-8. Identification Cards
1. While in the program, students are required to have a valid
Armed Forces Identification (ID) Card in their possession. This
card allows access to military facilities in order to use all
entitled privileges, such as the commissary and exchange.
2. New or Lost ID Cards: To obtain a new ID card or in the
event that a participant’s ID card is lost or stolen, contact
MDAD at (301)319-4529/32/34 or [email protected]. MDAD will
forward a copy of the participant’s Oath of Office (if
HPSP/FAP/NADS) or DD Form 4 (if a Nurse Candidate) to the
participant. The participant must take the Oath of Office/DD
Form 4 to the nearest Military Personnel Support Detachment
(PSD) or ID card issuing facility to have the ID card issued.
At least one photo ID (passport, driver's license, etc.) is
required by the PSD or ID card issuing facility for verification
purposes prior to obtaining an ID. Participants should take two
with them when they go for a military ID card.
3. Dependent ID Cards: If dependent ID cards are required,
contact MDAD at (301)319-4529/32/34 or [email protected].
The Accessions Department will forward a copy of the
participant’s Oath of Office (if HPSP/FAP/NADS) or DD Form 4 (if
a Nurse Candidate) to the participant. Participants should take
their marriage license and birth certificates for children (as
appropriate) along with the Oath of Office form to the nearest
Military PSD or ID card issuing facility to have the request for
a dependent ID card authorized. The participant should take the
dependent to the ID card facility if the intent is to leave with
an ID card in hand.
4. The nearest ID card issuing facility can be found using the
military's RAPIDS Site Locator website:
http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/owa/home. If unable to find a
facility, the participant may contact the MDAD Systems Section
via e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at (301)319-
4529/32/34.
Thanks a lot!

Question for the Navy Dentist,

Is it possible to apply for the hpsp scholarship your second or third year in D school for those who may not have known of this option prior to starting D1?

Also if so where can I find the requirements and when is the best time to apply?

I haven't seen this replied to, and I've not graduated yet. However, I've had a few of my classmates ask me about this. I reached out to someone who would know the answer (rank/name withheld), they said that it would be best to seek out a recruiter sometime at the end of 3rd year, beginning of 4th year in order to ascend after graduation.
It makes sense. If you're at the end of your second year and have yet to start your package, it'll take about 6 months to complete. Then, the HPSP and HSCP boards convene in the spring, this time next year. Then results come out, etc. So you wouldn't receive anything until 4th year??
Basically, they aren't going to do it as its a year for year program with a minimum of a 3 year commitment and my guess is they have plenty of people who haven't started d-school that are applying.

I had to consider this myself, but I was fortunate to get an age waiver before I started d-school. My only other course would have been to ascend after graduation and hope for a nice "signing" bonus to offset school loans.

Thanks a lot!

I'm a soon to be 3rd year. I went to PSD at JEB little creek this past July (had a reunion to attend; prior military).
While this information overall is correct, I went and got my CAC card and its expiration date is 2016 around the time I would be reporting on board to my AEGD, GPR, etc.. I wasn't on AT and haven't been to ODS.
I believe that they are setting things up so that all HPSP students get the CAC card while in school, not a reserve green card.
Just my 2 cents.

What are the regulations on moonlighting? Can Navy dentists work at a civilian practice on Saturdays or evenings?

What are the regulations on moonlighting? Can Navy dentists work at a civilian practice on Saturdays or evenings?

I've been told multiple times that it depends on your CO and the base to which you are assigned.

CO's authorization is required and there are restrictions, you need to make sure it doesn't interfere with your duties and that includes getting enough rest for the next workday.

I've been told multiple times that it depends on your CO and the base to which you are assigned.

CO's authorization is required and there are restrictions, you need to make sure it doesn't interfere with your duties and that includes getting enough rest for the next workday.

Also, if you are in a residency, you can't moonlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the implications of joining the military for my family? How will joining the military affect my wife? How will it affect my kids? I have heard the Air Force is the one to join for raising a family, but would the Navy allow me to have a decent family life?

What are the implications of joining the military for my family? How will joining the military affect my wife? How will it affect my kids? I have heard the Air Force is the one to join for raising a family, but would the Navy allow me to have a decent family life?

Your family life will be fine if you can stand being seperated for 6-10 months at a time. That is something you two need to decide. They will get healthcare coverage and some support while you are deployed.

Chances are that this has been asked but in 25 pages of history it's hard to find.

For 4 year Navy Dental HPSP, where have you guys been placed for duty?

I know it depends on a lot of factors, but I want to see where you guys have been. I heard on ships they prefer Navy dentists who have more experience than us coming straight out of school...that true?

Thank you

Chances are that this has been asked but in 25 pages of history it's hard to find.

For 4 year Navy Dental HPSP, where have you guys been placed for duty?

I know it depends on a lot of factors, but I want to see where you guys have been. I heard on ships they prefer Navy dentists who have more experience than us coming straight out of school...that true?

Thank you

Yes, this has been answered multiple times, but I will answer again.

First of all, you have to do at least 1 year of supervised dental work right out of d-school before you go to the fleet in some manner. This is to prove your skills. You can do a 1 year credentially tour which counts toward your payback time, but it doesn't guarantee you will receive any further training. You can do a 1 yr AEGD or GPR which doesn't count toward payback, but you may be exposed to more advanced techniques than dental school and have the ability to gain secondary priviledges which allow you to do more procedures than those who just do the credentiallng tours (not always the case, but is the case if done in Norfolk). Finally, if you are lucky, you can get selected to do a traditional residency program out of school (usually only Prosth, OMFS and Comp Dent). During the training, you meet with the detailer to get an idea of places that are available. You then submit your 'wish list' of locations you would like to be stationed at. Where you get selected is really a combination of luck and the locations you requested. Of my AEGD residency class, I was the only one with experience in the military prior to becoming a dentist. I was initially selected to go to a ship, but was instead changed to shore duty in the US. Two others got orders to ships. Two others got Okinawa. One got orders to spend time with the Seabees in the US. One got orders to Bahrain. One got orders to Sigonella, Italy. The two who were doing the credentialing tour got orders to Okinawa as well. So, as you can see, people received orders to a variety of locations. There is no set rule of where you are going to get stationed. That said, in most cases, you are more likely to get orders to an overseas or deployable billet than get initial orders stateside or in a great location like Sigonella, Italy or Hawaii.

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
...how the heck did that lucky sob get orders to Italy right after AEGD training? I thought that spot was reserved for peeps who have been in the navy for awhile

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

You put Sigonella 3rd on your wish list ;). I was the AEGD year that finished after 9/11. My dad was a Marine, so I put in for the Marines first, overseas-wanted Keflavic, Iceland, then a ship. We were the first place he'd visited, so I think he wanted to fill the toughest billets first, as you would expect. Detailer came back with a carrier anywhere or Okinawa and said they filled most of the Marine billets the year before. I asked for at least mainland Japan. He said possibly Atsugi, but pencilled me in at Okinawa. Long story short, my carpool buddy took this ship out of La Maddalena, Italy (base is now closed) and it had another billet. Detailer made it sound like the worst duty, "a ship AND overseas-double wammy".

It was the best decision I could have made. Ship deployed for a month here and there for 10/24 months of my tour. We lived with in a flat below an Italian family that didn't speak a lick of English other than "shopping" and "vacation". I honestly wish I would have extended my tour. The most comparable to that now in Italy would be the USS Mount Whitney (6th Fleet flagship), unless that's been replaced, out of Gaetta, Italy. It's a Comp billet though. Gaetta is between Rome and Naples, one of the most beautiful places I've visited and a perfect place to stay if you want to travel Italy. Sigonella is a very nice base and Naples has since consolidated into a single base (used to be spread out over 3-4 locations). Lots of petty crime in Naples. Literally every dentist there had their care stolen at least once.

Couple of questions:

I am currently an associate dentist and have been practicing for approximately one year. I have six months left on my current associate contract. Before I started dental school, I was advised by father to look into the HPSP. Being young and dumb, I didn't think the military was the life for me (moved a lot growing up, dad is retired 06 omfs now in private practice). I thought I'd go to dental school and enter the work force as a civilian and life would be a bed of roses. Didn't realize the size of the hole I would be crawling out of financially as an associate dentist.

Funny how maturation can bring things full circle. I have been considering the military ever since entering into private practice (have experienced some ethical dilemmas with the way things are run in our office, just leave it at that). My wife to be and I have discussed entering the navy (she is army brat of 30 years as well). We visited Paris island on vacation and I really began to feel a calling to serve. I have an obligation to fulfill as an associate at my current place of employment until the end of this calendar year, but am strongly considering entering the naval dental corps at this point.

My questions:
1. Big reason I would like to enter the navy besides serving our country is to really expand my skill set as a general dentist. Can you be given guaranteed admittance to the aegd before signing on? If not, how difficult is it to be accepted into this program? Young and dumb unfortunately carried over from college into my first 2 years of dental school where I got the grades I needed to get by, but that was about all. I also neglected to prepare properly for nbde I. Passed the first time, but with a low score.
2. What sort of procedures do you get to do in the navy aegd? Endodontically heavy? Impacted 3rds? Unfortunately the office I am in now is almost solely drilling and filling and single unit crowns, and I don't have someone willing to mentor me in other aspects of dentistry (he sends out all his endo and all of his extractions, I do some of my own but am fearful to get into "hot water" for obvious reasons as an associate)
3. I am fine with being sent wherever I am needed, as is my significant other b/c we have no children, but was curious as to where aegd programs are now located. She will be applying to dental hygiene school wherever we end up (or at least where we get ordered to first ;-))
4. I consider myself to be a well above average clinician, but as I said before my dental school grades don't reflect it b/c I skidded through basic science in first 2 years. Does this mean I am doomed to never specializing down the road if I so decide? Or could it even prevent me from entering the AEGD? I love the idea of traveling the world and serving our great country, I just want to do something besides MOD amalgams all day for 20 years if I decide to make a career of it.
5. Finally, as direct asscession dentist, what is signing bonus/other perks. Money is low on my list, but is a consideration. I have been very disciplined about paying down debt thus far, but was curious as to how much closer I could be to debt free by signing on for 3 vs 4 years? If I find general dentistry is my true calling, I will consider entering private practice on my own terms at some point (no more ethical dilemmas hopefully) or if I find that I want to specialize, I'll likely stay in for the full 20.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Couple of questions:

I am currently an associate dentist and have been practicing for approximately one year. I have six months left on my current associate contract. Before I started dental school, I was advised by father to look into the HPSP. Being young and dumb, I didn't think the military was the life for me (moved a lot growing up, dad is retired 06 omfs now in private practice). I thought I'd go to dental school and enter the work force as a civilian and life would be a bed of roses. Didn't realize the size of the hole I would be crawling out of financially as an associate dentist.

Funny how maturation can bring things full circle. I have been considering the military ever since entering into private practice (have experienced some ethical dilemmas with the way things are run in our office, just leave it at that). My wife to be and I have discussed entering the navy (she is army brat of 30 years as well). We visited Paris island on vacation and I really began to feel a calling to serve. I have an obligation to fulfill as an associate at my current place of employment until the end of this calendar year, but am strongly considering entering the naval dental corps at this point.

My questions:
1. Big reason I would like to enter the navy besides serving our country is to really expand my skill set as a general dentist. Can you be given guaranteed admittance to the aegd before signing on? If not, how difficult is it to be accepted into this program? Young and dumb unfortunately carried over from college into my first 2 years of dental school where I got the grades I needed to get by, but that was about all. I also neglected to prepare properly for nbde I. Passed the first time, but with a low score.

Wouldn't say automatic but you'd certainly have a good chance as long as you made it clear you wanted to start out in an AEGD.

2. What sort of procedures do you get to do in the navy aegd? Endodontically heavy? Impacted 3rds? Unfortunately the office I am in now is almost solely drilling and filling and single unit crowns, and I don't have someone willing to mentor me in other aspects of dentistry (he sends out all his endo and all of his extractions, I do some of my own but am fearful to get into "hot water" for obvious reasons as an associate)

Depends on which program. You'll definitely learn impacted thirds, it's pretty much a required skill if you're going anywhere isolated duty (one-holer, remote overseas, etc). You'll definitely see plenty of pulpectomies, and in an AEGD you'll get a chance to do whatever endo you can find.

3. I am fine with being sent wherever I am needed, as is my significant other b/c we have no children, but was curious as to where aegd programs are now located. She will be applying to dental hygiene school wherever we end up (or at least where we get ordered to first ;-))

AEGDs are currently located at Bethesda, Norfolk, Great Lakes, San Diego (32nd Street), Camp Lejuene, and Camp Pendleton.

4. I consider myself to be a well above average clinician, but as I said before my dental school grades don't reflect it b/c I skidded through basic science in first 2 years. Does this mean I am doomed to never specializing down the road if I so decide? Or could it even prevent me from entering the AEGD? I love the idea of traveling the world and serving our great country, I just want to do something besides MOD amalgams all day for 20 years if I decide to make a career of it.

It doesn't help, but if you work hard it won't stop you. That said, as a general dentist in the Navy operative/exams are predominantly what you'll be doing.

5. Finally, as direct asscession dentist, what is signing bonus/other perks. Money is low on my list, but is a consideration. I have been very disciplined about paying down debt thus far, but was curious as to how much closer I could be to debt free by signing on for 3 vs 4 years? If I find general dentistry is my true calling, I will consider entering private practice on my own terms at some point (no more ethical dilemmas hopefully) or if I find that I want to specialize, I'll likely stay in for the full 20.

I don't think they'd do just a 3 year contract but I could be wrong. Signing bonus depends on your experience level.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm about to enlist and I want to be am orthodontist what steps should I take while I'm in the Navy

I'm about to enlist and I want to be am orthodontist what steps should I take while I'm in the Navy

What is your educational background? When you say "enlist," are you talking about joining the Navy as an enlisted member and trying to use it as a stepping stone to college and dental school? If that is the case, I highly recommend you reconsider your plan to enlist if you are serious about a career in dentistry.

Has anyone every had trouble with their re-imbursement following a PPM (DIY Move). I just received my reimbursement, which was a whopping .01$ for 1 lb of household goods. I sent in all my forms, receipts and weigh tickets, which calculated about 5,000 lbs. No clue how my re-imbursement was miscalculated or why it was calculated this way. I have already emailed them and will call them tmr, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced an issue like this?

Has anyone every had trouble with their re-imbursement following a PPM (DIY Move). I just received my reimbursement, which was a whopping .01$ for 1 lb of household goods. I sent in all my forms, receipts and weigh tickets, which calculated about 5,000 lbs. No clue how my re-imbursement was miscalculated or why it was calculated this way. I have already emailed them and will call them tmr, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced an issue like this?

I had a similar experience. So apparently there is an arbitrary policy that isn't a real instruction. They will only reimburse you for the max weight the vehicle will hold that is stated by the company of the truck you rented (assuming you are using a rental truck like U-haul, Budget, or Penske). We were allowed up to 14,500 lbs and our max reimbursement was going to be somewhere around 15k according to the paperwork. Well, the office down in Norfolk figured it would be a good idea to take the paperwork from the truck company instead of our weight tickets for reimbursement purposes. We had almost 13,000lbs of stuff and they reimbursed us as if we had half. All because the Penske guy used an outdated form that had a max weight that I think is ridiculously low for a 26-foot diesel truck. Needless to say I'm going to appeal. Essentially someone made up a policy that prevents any military families from renting their own truck and hauling their stuff themselves... now you can only go to companies like PODS to get your full reimbursement. ...talk about possible conflict of interest.

I have to do MEPS and as long as I don't have any disqualifying conditions (shouldn't I am healthy and in good condition) I'll be taking a direct accession package and commissioning at the end of 2014/early 2015 at the end of my civilian contract.

I have been told by the detailer that I don't qualify for a GPR or AEGD b/c these spots are reserved for PGY-1 students. I will have done a 1.5 yr stint in private practice following dental school but want to join the Navy for the service, travel, and enhancement as a dentist. Once my school is paid off I'll be more able to qualify for a loan to start my own private practice or purchase one, unless I fall in love with something and decide to stay in for specialty training (unlikely b/c I love restorative dentistry, I'd just like to do more endo and surgery). I am fine for doing a credentialing tour but was curious as to which spot would afford me the most experience in endo/exo. I don't care about doing much fixed or removable as I've gotten to do a ton of it in private practice. I assume a major recruiting depot will be the best for this? Parris Island/Great Lakes/Camp L/Camp P?

Insight appreciated.

I also wanted to ask about hardship tours? I would have no problem going to Bahrain or DG if my wife came with me (we have no children) but didn't know if a hardship tour would be unaccompanied? If it is then trying to get Japan/Guam/Ship/Marines would be better option for us. Don't mind being separated 6-10 months but 2 years would be tough.

Thanks!

I have to do MEPS and as long as I don't have any disqualifying conditions (shouldn't I am healthy and in good condition) I'll be taking a direct accession package and commissioning at the end of 2014/early 2015 at the end of my civilian contract.

I have been told by the detailer that I don't qualify for a GPR or AEGD b/c these spots are reserved for PGY-1 students. I will have done a 1.5 yr stint in private practice following dental school but want to join the Navy for the service, travel, and enhancement as a dentist. Once my school is paid off I'll be more able to qualify for a loan to start my own private practice or purchase one, unless I fall in love with something and decide to stay in for specialty training (unlikely b/c I love restorative dentistry, I'd just like to do more endo and surgery). I am fine for doing a credentialing tour but was curious as to which spot would afford me the most experience in endo/exo. I don't care about doing much fixed or removable as I've gotten to do a ton of it in private practice. I assume a major recruiting depot will be the best for this? Parris Island/Great Lakes/Camp L/Camp P?

Insight appreciated.

I also wanted to ask about hardship tours? I would have no problem going to Bahrain or DG if my wife came with me (we have no children) but didn't know if a hardship tour would be unaccompanied? If it is then trying to get Japan/Guam/Ship/Marines would be better option for us. Don't mind being separated 6-10 months but 2 years would be tough.

Thanks!

Just curious. Is the sign on bonus $150k over 4 years?

You will get plenty of experience in a credentialing tour at any of those locations. I was at Great Lakes, you won't see much prosth there and I doubt you would see much fixed/removable in the service in general. There is a ton of exo and a bit of endo (seems like a lot of guys competed for endo cases though). Remember, the patient population is pretty young for the most part, and you'll do more MODFLs (aka WFTs) and herodontics than crown and bridge. Also, for the military, Comprehensive Dentistry is a specialty. A 2-year Comp residency qualifies you for a $50k/yr sign on bonus after commitments (DOMYRB-it may be called something different now) and gives you the widest range of billets to take.

Diego and Bahrain are 1-year unaccompanied billets. Not sure if you can fly/pay for family to visit, but doubtful (I think Del Sol was there and can answer that). Most likely, you'd meet them for some R&R somewhere like Thailand for 2 weeks or so. You'd get separation pay (geo-bachelor pay) and most likely pick of duty stations after. I hear good things about both locations, but it would be hard to be separated that long. I see those as single bachelor type billets, but there are some married that take them.

Good to know about Diego and Bahrain. Guam and Japan are accompanied though correct? We'd like to live abroad if that's an option and was just curious. Any advice on Green vs. Blue if no overseas are available? Either/or sounds pretty cool to me. Thanks for the feedback on the endo/exo. Did you feel proficient in taking impacted thirds out after your credentialing?

And yes, accession bonus is now 150k. With dental school costs the way they have gotten I guess they decided it was necessary. Definitely going to help with those student loans.

Hello all,
I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I need your advices (especially from ones who are familiar with recruiting process.)

I have been practicing dentistry for 3 years and I found out yesterday that I got accepted to 3 year perio program at Loma Linda starting July of 2015.

Do you think there is any way for the navy to help me out during residency (tuition, room&board, etc) as they do dental students and I work year per year in return?

If that is not the case, what is the benefit for direct accession as a periodontist?

Thank you all

Good to know about Diego and Bahrain. Guam and Japan are accompanied though correct? We'd like to live abroad if that's an option and was just curious. Any advice on Green vs. Blue if no overseas are available? Either/or sounds pretty cool to me. Thanks for the feedback on the endo/exo. Did you feel proficient in taking impacted thirds out after your credentialing?

And yes, accession bonus is now 150k. With dental school costs the way they have gotten I guess they decided it was necessary. Definitely going to help with those student loans.

Japan and Okinawa are 3-year accompanied tours. Okinawa is tougher to fill than mainland Japan so they will offer it first. If I were overseas, I'd just go Blue side. However, you can kill 2 birds with one stone by going Green early on in your career (they want you to have done Overseas, Marines, Ship when looking at a career). It kind of sounds like you want to go Green. You may deploy on a MEU if you go Green, but not sure where they go from Okinawa...maybe Korea, maybe A-stan, or SE Asia disaster relief. There also is a Marine Air Base in Atsugi. Sasebo has an Amphib base, that would be a 2-year tour as it's a ship first, overseas 2nd. I've heard many good things about being stationed in Japan (Yokosuka mostly).

I never took out any 3rds in dental school. 1st day at Great Lakes with Oral Surgeon: I assist the first, he assisted the 2nd, I was flying solo by #3. I saw 6-8 patients/day for 3rds, all under local. I felt very confident with 3rds. Just cover the eyes with a towel and get flying.

Hello all,
I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I need your advices (especially from ones who are familiar with recruiting process.)

I have been practicing dentistry for 3 years and I found out yesterday that I got accepted to 3 year perio program at Loma Linda starting July of 2015.

Do you think there is any way for the navy to help me out during residency (tuition, room&board, etc) as they do dental students and I work year per year in return?

If that is not the case, what is the benefit for direct accession as a periodontist?

Thank you all

I'll refer the questions on that to others as to whether the you can postpone active duty for DA due to residency. However, you will make significantly more bank as a civilian periodontist (my good friend I served on my ship with is a Navy trained periodontist). You also may be able to work in a faculty practice or moonlight while in civilian residency. You may also consider a forbearance on your loans while in residency. I know its a ton of money for dental school and whatever the add on is for residency, but you can do very well in private practice. If they military does pay, it will be a 3-year minimum contract, DA will be a 4-year contract.

I'm deciding whether the Navy is right for me. If I accept the HPSP for dentistry, what the chances I'll end up stuck for 6 months on a ship?

Thanks Hedgy,

Kind of a different question for you. All my letters/interviews are complete, getting ready for MEPS. My doctors notes were sent to the recruiter and one of the notes said I have a "history of high blood pressure". I have never been diagnosed hypertensive, nor have I ever taken any meds for it. I may have had a couple of high readings at a check up while in college or dental school, but I monitor it now and eat a lot better then I used to. It runs 120s/80s pretty consistently at this point.

The recruiter told me I needed "documents" from the doctor and I may have to write a personal statement before MEPS b/c I put "no" for history of hypertension b/c I've never been diagnosed or taken meds.

Is this seriously going to be an issue? I am a former high school athlete and my PRT is measuring excellent/excellent/outstanding right now, and my blood pressure is normal. I'll be the first to admit I ate a lot of junk while in school and didn't maintain my fitness like I should have in college, but I workout 4 times a week now that I'm not studying all night and eating fast food all the time. Anything to be concerned about or anything I should do besides request a letter from my physician explaining this? Thanks.

Thanks Hedgy,

Kind of a different question for you. All my letters/interviews are complete, getting ready for MEPS. My doctors notes were sent to the recruiter and one of the notes said I have a "history of high blood pressure". I have never been diagnosed hypertensive, nor have I ever taken any meds for it. I may have had a couple of high readings at a check up while in college or dental school, but I monitor it now and eat a lot better then I used to. It runs 120s/80s pretty consistently at this point.

The recruiter told me I needed "documents" from the doctor and I may have to write a personal statement before MEPS b/c I put "no" for history of hypertension b/c I've never been diagnosed or taken meds.

Is this seriously going to be an issue? I am a former high school athlete and my PRT is measuring excellent/excellent/outstanding right now, and my blood pressure is normal. I'll be the first to admit I ate a lot of junk while in school and didn't maintain my fitness like I should have in college, but I workout 4 times a week now that I'm not studying all night and eating fast food all the time. Anything to be concerned about or anything I should do besides request a letter from my physician explaining this? Thanks.

Never hurts to have a letter from the doc just in case. They write stuff like that all the time. If things are normal at MEPS, you will be okay. Would have been better to put "No" to a history of HBP...;). I talked to a guy who came in at 51, passed his physical and commissioned. Turns out he had all kinds of medical issues, so I would think if you are in decent shape and it sounds like you are, you won't have much trouble.

I'm deciding whether the Navy is right for me. If I accept the HPSP for dentistry, what the chances I'll end up stuck for 6 months on a ship?

You don't sound like you'd be happy to deploy. I guarantee you that most entering the service do not want to deploy. However, you need to expect to be deployed at some point early on. They are giving you something for HPSP, so you owe them something. Now, as for being "stuck" on a ship, I used to think that way. I was married with 2 young children and I did not want to deploy. However, I knew I would deploy and my AEGD director tried to make it so we all knew what kind of deployments we would be in store for so we would be able to choose our next duty station wisely. I chose a ship that had a lot of short deployments (most were 1 month or so, but I had one 3-month at the start of OIF). I deployed 11/24 months while assigned to the USS Emory S. Land (AS-39). I can only say having done a deployment that it was one of the best things that I've ever done. The camaraderie when deployed is so different than when not. Also, my wife and officer's spouses club came together during deployments and they really helped each other out. She basically could do about anything with the kids without me being there, but women are resilient that way. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks. I should have put yes, but was advised not to by the recruiter without an official "diagnosis". Then when he read the doctors notes he kinda changed his opinion on me haha.

Good to know though, he said he didn't think it would be an issue as long as I can get a letter from my physician explaining I'm not hypertensive (and have good readings at MEPS which I will). I'd rather hear it from someone who had done it though as an officer than a recruiter b/c I'm sure they are extremely strict about those kinds of things with someone enlisting.

Anyhow, really appreciate you being so prompt with responses. When I get closer to commissioning I will probably post my possible locations and maybe you can give me some feedback if you've been stationed there. Have a good one!