Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does the HPSP cover the cost of living in the dorms during dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

thats what i was thinking but it would be even cooler if i didnt have to use it for living and could just save it. I just wasnt sure as the expense will be through the school. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Deep Impact!

I just joined the HPSP program (Navy) and wanted to know what I will join the Navy as (O-2 or 3)? I am an O-1.

Kevin512

Hey Deep Impact!

I just joined the HPSP program (Navy) and wanted to know what I will join the Navy as (O-2 or 3)? I am an O-1.

Kevin512

While on the HPSP scholarship you are an 0-1, upon graduation from dental school you are promoted to an 0-3.

I've pretty much finished my application, just waiting on one form that should be turned in next week. Will there be many 4-year scholarships left at this point? How often does the board meet to review them?

Ive heard that there are only about 15 spots which still remain available. It is also my understanding that the board meets weekly.

Man I just want to find out now!!!! :eek:

I'm surprised they are almost gone. I'd like an 4-year HSCP. Does it matter if you are trying for HPSP or HSCP?

Is it the competition with the existing dental students going for 3-year scholarships or are they mostly 4-year pre-dental students?

I started my application on Dec 1st as soon as I got accepted and thought I did everything as quickly as I could. I thought we needed an acceptance letter first. Should I have started before Dec. 1st?

I started my application over the summer and am still working on it now.

Anybody have any stats on approximately how many HPSP and HCSP are given out each year (3 yr and 4 yr)?

I started my application over the summer and am still working on it now.

I also started mine in the summer, had my physical in October, had everything done by December. Just playing the waiting game now.

What is the berthing like for dental officers on ship? I know I've asked this before, but I don't think I got an answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,, i dont if this has been asked before.. upon graduating from dental school, how much does the person make a year.?? Is it on salary or something else??/

Hi,, i dont if this has been asked before.. upon graduating from dental school, how much does the person make a year.?? Is it on salary or something else??/

You don't need to post same question on all three sticky threads. And if you read more carefully, you would find posts about military salary (that comes to approximate numbers):

0-3 pay with < 2years is $3407/month on the 2008 paychart.

So for clarification the pays you get are:
Base Pay:$3407/month = $40,884/yr
BAS: $202/month = $2424/yr (Basic Allowance for Subsistence)
BAH: ~$1375/month (CONUS average) this can be as high as $2000+/month depending on your duty zip code. Also note that this pay is non-taxed dollars and can be more if your married. = ~$16,500 to $24,000 depending on zip code. (Basic Allowance for Housing)
VSP: $3,000/yr (Variable Special Pay)
ASP: $10,000/yr (Additional Special Pay)

So your gross income range will be between ~$72,808 and $80,308 depending on your duty station zip code.

I was on a carrier and I had to live in bunk beds in a room with 7 other officers. You will be sharing the bathroom with other officers.

If you are the only dentist on a ship, you will get your own room but still may have to share a bathroom with another person.

Deployments are usually 6 months but there are periods before where you will be gone for one week at a time for training.

After deployment you will be at sea again for post deployment training about 3-7 days at a time.

Pro-Dentite

There is internet on the ship but many sites are blocked for opsec such as non military emails. I was deployed on a carrier and I would play cards with the other dental officers and medical officers. I usually just played my PS2 on my tv in my room. We did get limited cable channels. It is mostly CNN, FOX, NBC, ABC, and CBS.

Dr-Reo,

For my first four years,
I did 5 weeks at OIS
One year AEGD
Two years on a ship (some people do two years with the marines)
-The ship (blue side) was at sea for 6 months in the Persian Gulf but we were
actually at sea for at least 5 days every month for the two years that I was
there!
-If you were stationed with the Marines (green side), you will deploy at some time
but for 6-7 months but you may be shore duty the rest of the time)
For my 4th year, you can request shore duty BUT if you do transfer, you to a shore command, you will be required to do 2 more years (thus extending you to 5 years).
My buddy was forced to do 5 years when he took shore duty in year 4 after being on a ship.

To avoid this, you can request extension of your ship command or marine command or overseas command by 1 year and if you desire, you can get out of the Navy.

I decided to stay in the Navy and am applying for residency. I have been deployed now twice to the Middle East (6 months on the ship and 6 months in Kuwait).

The deployments can be tough on families but I was single and I quite enjoyed it.

Ship deployments tend to be better since you may stop by port cities from time to time (about every 30-45 days). We visited Malta, Barcelona, and Dubai.

Hi,
I am a mother of a pre-dental student who will be applying for the Navy scholarship. I am wondering if anyone knows (either first hand or from a friend) what kind of conditions my kid will be working in if they are deployed to a Navy or Marine base in Iraq, Iran, Kuwait or Djibouti.
I am mainly concern about safety, and living conditions in these areas. Will they be working in a hospital or an open area where there may be combat going on.
What's a typical day like? And how much danger would they be exposed to.
How long would a typical deployment be?

Being a mom, I am naturally concerned. Thanks for any info.

I can only say about Kuwait since I was there. Your child will work in a regular dental clinic, I felt 100% safe on the base. There are actually walls there now with working lights, water etc.. We used to work in tents.

I cannot say about Iraq or Afghanistan but the Navy will not put your child in direct enemy combat.

Anybody know something about a 'graduation' bonus in either the HPSP or HSCP Navy programs? It's a rumor and I wanted to nail it down. Someone told me that ou get a bonus after graduating Dental school and before you enter real 'Active Duty' in the Navy.

Anybody know something about a 'graduation' bonus in either the HPSP or HSCP Navy programs? It's a rumor and I wanted to nail it down. Someone told me that ou get a bonus after graduating Dental school and before you enter real 'Active Duty' in the Navy.

I thought that was for the National Guard, but I am also curious.

Hey,

Are you guaranteed to move around at least once during a 3 to 4 pay back? Also, if you have a request from a US Senator, can you stay at one location for your entire payback.

Thanks,
Kevin512

Hey,

Are you guaranteed to move around at least once during a 3 to 4 pay back? Also, if you have a request from a US Senator, can you stay at one location for your entire payback.

Thanks,
Kevin512

Anything's possible, there are no guarantees...just remember this and you'll have your answers answered.

THE NEEDS OF THE NAVY COME FIRST.

Hey,

Thanks,
Kevin512

Unless you volunteer to be on a ship for all 3-4 years most likely you will be moving around. The rotation is ship/overseas/marines for 2 years and then regular shore duty for 3 years. If you choose to do a residency, you might be at shore for awhile BUT you will incur more payback.

AEGD and GPR are neutral years now (meaning you can do one but you still will owe 3-4 years of payback, the GPR year will not count towards payback). Most residencies are 2-3 years and require 1 for 1 pay back. Oral Surgery is 4 years.

Just like the previous email said, it depends on the needs of the Navy. If you are new to the Navy, you will most likely be "at the bottom of the totem pole". I do not know if a letter from a senator will have any clout with stations.

If you want to be stationed in Norfolk and/or San Diego, it is possible to be in the area for 4 years. You would just be on a ship in the area for 2 years and then 2 years at the shore command in the area.

So the normal trend for most of the new dentist in the Navy is: going to the ship, then oversea, and then to the marine deployment? I was told by a few people that ship time is almost never going to happen because new dentist are so inexperienced. Do you know if the Air Force has a 1 for 1 payback in residency programs like the Navy? And lastly, how long are ship deployments?

Is there a website that has all this information? I am trying to recruit a few students from my school to join the Navy and want information straight from the horses mouth (although I feel like your answers are quite good!:)). I want information like income, and residency locations- are most of them located in Bethesda, MD, right?

Sorry about all the questions!
Kevin512

does anyone know how many scholarships still remain for this year?

So the normal trend for most of the new dentist in the Navy is: going to the ship, then oversea, and then to the marine deployment? I was told by a few people that ship time is almost never going to happen because new dentist are so inexperienced. Do you know if the Air Force has a 1 for 1 payback in residency programs like the Navy? And lastly, how long are ship deployments?

Is there a website that has all this information? I am trying to recruit a few students from my school to join the Navy and want information straight from the horses mouth (although I feel like your answers are quite good!:)). I want information like income, and residency locations- are most of them located in Bethesda, MD, right?

Sorry about all the questions!
Kevin512

I can only speak for Navy. Ship and Marines are both considered Operational. Most people choose either/or.
Most of my friends either did 2 years ship AND shore duty
OR
2 years with the marines AND shore duty.

If you choose being station with the marines, you only deploy IF the meu deploys and then it is for a 6-7 months or so. Otherwise you are on shore.

If you go to a ship, you actually work on the ship and go out to sea/deployment when the ship. So in terms of separation from family, it depends but most of the time if you want to be separated less, choose MARINES.

I am single so I chose ship for the adventure, I was gone in the Persian Gulf for 6 months AND I was at sea for at least 3 days for two straight years!! So you leave your family quite often.

There are three main places to get ships, Bremerton, Washington; Norfolk, VA; and San Diego, CA.

The normal rotation is two years operational (SHIP OR Marines OR Overseas such as Japan) and then three years in the states in a shore command.

In terms of residencies, it is either Bethesda, MD or San Diego, CA.
There seems to be more spots in Bethesda though. It is quite hard to get a residency in your first year out of dental school in the navy. Most newbies choose to do a AEGD or GPR. Again these years do not count towards pay back if you choose AEGD or GPR. Most others are put on a carrier where they will be one of five dentists. It is rare for somebody straight out of dental school to get a ship where they are the only dentist. Others are on shore duty as one of lots of dentists.

The normal time line is credentialing tour (big shore command, or carrier).
It is followed by operational (ship, marines, or overseas) for two years.
Then is followed by shore duty for three years.

Lately, if you are on shore command, you can be picked to go to middle east to help augment to global war on terror. It is for 6-7 months though and then you go back to shore command where MOST of the time (unless you want to deploy again voluntarily) you do not redeploy for at least 12-18 months.

I am single so I chose ship for the adventure, I was gone in the Persian Gulf for 6 months AND I was at sea for at least 3 days for two straight years!! So you leave your family quite often.

What do you mean by "3 days". Did you fly out to the ship or did it come back to port every 3rd day?

Switching subjects, do you feel like Navy Residencies are good quality and worth the payback? Also is the GPR and AEGD programs worth the one year? Do they overwork you? It seems like a good deal, but I feel like there is a piece missing from the puzzle.

Is there a website for all this information?

Thanks!!!!
Kevin512

What do you mean by "3 days". Did you fly out to the ship or did it come back to port every 3rd day?

Switching subjects, do you feel like Navy Residencies are good quality and worth the payback? Also is the GPR and AEGD programs worth the one year? Do they overwork you? It seems like a good deal, but I feel like there is a piece missing from the puzzle.

Is there a website for all this information?

Thanks!!!!
Kevin512

I left out one word sorry. I meant 3 days per month for 24 months. You are actually attached to the ship. Meaning you actually work there. You get on the ship before the ship leaves and you sail with the ship. The jets only come to the ship for operational reasons.

So for instance (for depiction only). You are with a carrier that is getting ready to go to the Persian Gulf. You will do training exercises for at least 3-7 days every month until you actually get ready to go to the Persian Gulf. You stay in the Gulf for 5-7 months and then you come back and do more training exercises (again for 3-7 days every month). This going out to sea on average lasts for 18-24 months. So if you can tolerate being at sea for that many days in 2 years then you might try your luck at sea.

The biggest advantage to a ship are the port stops. Ships from the east coast makes stops in the Mediterrean (Malta, Spain, Italy, Greece). On average if you might come to a port city about once every 45 days or so but again it depends on the needs of the Navy. It was fun when I stopped in Barcelona!

West coast ships tend to go to Hawaii, Australia, and Asia. If you are single then you might try your luck with ships since you actually get to see many parts of the world that you normally do not get to see.

Working hours while the ship is docked in the US are 700-1600 mon-friday with one hour lunch.

At sea, the hours tend to be longer 700-1700 with 1.5-2 hour lunch and often times you might work 6-7 days per week!

Now if you rather not go out to sea that many days then you might select Marines or Overseas rotation. Marines is shore duty for the most part and you only leave the area IF the Marines that you are attached are called up to deploy to the Middle East.

Overseas (Mostly Japan), you are stationed in Japan for 2 years (unaccompanied i.e by yourself without your spouse or children) or 3 years (accompanied with your spouse and children). You get to live in Japan and learn the culture and get to enjoy lots of sushi! You are again "shore duty" unless they volunteer you to go to Kuwait, Afghanistan, Djbouti, Iraq, Etc..
You will be called on at least once to do a 6 months tour in one of those countries.

They are other overseas countries to be stationed but as a junior officer the chances of getting those billets are very slim. You can also be stationed in Naples, London, Rhoda (Spain), Iceland (not sure if they still have it). You can always hope anyways. When you talk to your detailer you give him your wish list and rank your duty stations in order of preference.

Now if you do not want to deploy to the Persian Gulf during your first year in the Navy, the only thing to do is sign up for a GPR or AEGD.I do not know of any websites for GPR or AEGD. When I did my AEGD, I did not feel overworked but back then the AEGD year counts as a year payback. Now it does not. If you feel that you need more training then you might consider doing a one year GPR or AEGD. This year does not count towards pay back BUT you are almost gauranteed not to be called up to go to Afghanistan or Djbouti while you are in residency or AEGD.

Residencies such as Oral Surgery, Periodontics, Endodontics, Orthodontics, etc are usually not given to people straight out of dental school but I do not think there is any rule for you to be ineligible but I know nobody who made specialty residencies straight out of dental school. Again if you choose to a specialty residency, you are not asked to go to the Persian Gulf for 6 months.

If you do decide to do a residency, you will then be asked to do an operational tour (ship, marines, or overseas). If you choose ship, you can always ask the detailer WHEN the ship is scheduled to go to the Persian Gulf and decide whether you want that ship or not. The earlier that you call the detailer, the better. The best thing is to talk to the detailer about 7-9 months before you are due to transfer. If you wait too long, you might be stuck with getting a duty that you do not like.

The advantage to the Navy versus the Air Force and Army is the travels to port cities on your way to the Persian Gulf. There is also fleet week in New York every Memorial Day where if you wear your Navy uniform, you can go to many places for free and no lines!! I went to Yankee Stadium, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Wall Street. Some of my friends even got to ring the bell!

The disadvantage of the Navy is that if you do decide to go ship, you may be away from your family for a good 50% of the year. Your family can move with you to the city where the ship is docked but of course they cannot come with you when the ship is at sea.

I personally like the duty stations better with the Navy too.

Shore deployments with the Navy tend to be 6 months
Shore deployments with the Air Force used to be 4 months but now they are 6 months.
Shore deployments with the Army differs from 6 months to 1 year.
Shore deployment means that you work in the states on land but you are asked to go to the Persian Gulf for 6 months and then you return back to work in land.

Only in the Navy can you choose ship, marines, or overseas as your operational tour. If you do choose a ship, you might ask for one of the newer ships since they will have all new equipment.

Carriers are nice since you will have 4 other dentists with you to ask questions. I enjoyed the comraderie on ships.

In terms of residencies, it is either Bethesda, MD or San Diego, CA.
There seems to be more spots in Bethesda though. It is quite hard to get a residency in your first year out of dental school in the navy. Most newbies choose to do a AEGD or GPR. Again these years do not count towards pay back if you choose AEGD or GPR. Most others are put on a carrier where they will be one of five dentists. It is rare for somebody straight out of dental school to get a ship where they are the only dentist. Others are on shore duty as one of lots of dentists.

Out of curiousity, do you have an idea, right out of school, what proportion go to AEGD/GPR vs. big shore command vs. carrier?

This was a very helpful post. :thumbup:

How do the marine deployments work? I know the marines go out to sea, but it is usually for shorter periods right? If you are on a ship with marines, do you work in the ships clinic, or is that only for the 'blueside' folks? If you are greenside will you be living in tents on deployment?

I think it depends on the needs of the navy but from my experience, I spent more times away from the states on ships then when attached to the marines. Marines are generally mobilized or deployed for 6-7 months and depends on the situation but sometimes you join the dentist on a big deck amphib (smaller than carriers). You will have a chair on the ship for you to work and 2 dental techs. Sometimes they fly you to shore areas (kuwait, Iraq, or Afghanistan) where you may live in barracks or tents. Kuwait is the most "modern" with man made buildings to work out of. I have not been to Iraq or Afghanistan but my friends told me that they worked from tents.

Out of curiousity, do you have an idea, right out of school, what proportion go to AEGD/GPR vs. big shore command vs. carrier?

I do not know now but in 2003, we had 13 residents in AEGD in norfolk with another 10 in GPR. Again back then these residencies counted towards pay back, now they don't.

i cannot give you a firm number on overall proportion but to compare from terps' 2003 number: at my AEGD in Norfolk in 2007-08, we had 8 resident and the hospital across the water had 4 GPRs.

no one is going to go to a carrier right our of school. if you dont take a PGY-1 residency, you will endo up at a recruit depot or other large shore clinic for a 8-12 month credentialing tour prior to being operational. and Norfolk is the largest of the free-standing shore clinics...

How would your commitment be divided up year by year, in a 3 year scholarship?

How would your commitment be divided up year by year, in a 3 year scholarship?

if you do not take a PGY-1 residency it would probably look like this:
12 months credentialing tour
24 months operational commitment (ship/marines)

past about month 6-8 of the credentialing tour, you would be eligible to be plucked for a 'hot fill' of a vacated billet or to be sent IA, as the needs of the Navy dictate.

if you are a female and become great with child, you will be sent off a ship with all speed and back to a nice safe shore clinic. try to avoid such a happening, as it makes the life of a detailer and all your surrounding JOs very unpleasant. if you are with the marines, i think you would probably just stay at the base clinic and be left behind if there are field exercises or your deployment cycle comes up.

(the last comment isnt directed at condi, its just a general statement of what occurs with all females on ships, elisted or officer. no offense intended.)

Last edited:
I also started mine in the summer, had my physical in October, had everything done by December. Just playing the waiting game now.

Any updates? Where are you headed for school?

I'm a little confused. Isn't the normal scholarship a 4 year commitment? Your numbers add up to 6 years.

I'm a little confused. Isn't the normal scholarship a 4 year commitment? Your numbers add up to 6 years.

Yes most commitments are 3-4 years so many of these officers do not stay long enough to make it to the shore duty rotation. But if you do take orders after your ship/marine tour, it will incur 2 years! So it is better to try to extend on the ship or marines for your 4th year.

The normal rotation IF you stay in for 20+ years is 2 years ship/marines and then 3 years shore duty. Keep in mind just because you are on shore duty does not mean that you will not be asked to deploy to Kuwait, Afghanistan, or Iraq as an individual augmentee for 6 months. I am at shore duty now and just came back from 6 month deployment in the Middle East. I was on land (not on ship) this time. In 2004, I was on a ship for 6 months in the Persian Gulf.

According to my detailer all PCS (change of orders) would require 2 years before you can leave the Navy. My friend was not told this and he was forced to do 5 years with the Navy. So always ask your detailer before you take any orders.

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but what is the timeline if I only owe 3 years? I plan on completing an AEGD or GPR at Norfolk. Then, if I decide not to specialize I want to be out within 3 years. How does that work if the orders are in 2 year increments.

It has been suggested to me that I just take the 20k bonus and sign up for 4 years because I probably will later on anyways. It has also been suggested that I should hold onto that year in case I want to use it as leverage for a specialty program or competitive station. Any merit to these suggestions?

Thanks

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but what is the timeline if I only owe 3 years? I plan on completing an AEGD or GPR at Norfolk. Then, if I decide not to specialize I want to be out within 3 years. How does that work if the orders are in 2 year increments.

It has been suggested to me that I just take the 20k bonus and sign up for 4 years because I probably will later on anyways. It has also been suggested that I should hold onto that year in case I want to use it as leverage for a specialty program or competitive station. Any merit to these suggestions?

Thanks

if you want to do an AEGD or GPR, you have to recognize that these programs no longer count as a year of payback. since they do not incur any additional time owed, they are neutral in the year count. this means that you will be taking 24 month operational orders to start your 3 year payback.

2 of your 3 payback years will be done while you are blue side or green side (ships or marines), leaving an odd 12 month timeframe to consider. you could request an extension of your operational orders to finish your payback time or you could take a new set of orders. if the navy has to put any money into moving you as you take your new orders, then you are obligated to complete 24 months of that 36. HOWEVER, and i have seen this done around Norfolk by several LTs, if the Navy doesnt have to spend any moey in moving you to a new command (i.e., move from the piers over to the big clinic at NOB in Norfolk), then you only are obligated to serve 12 of the 36 months and you can put in your package to leave active duty during that time.

the important thing here is to educate yourself and read your orders! do not take anything your detailer says for granted, not because they would be trying to hose you, but because they deal with an enormous amount of complicated information. ask around and find the source (Navy instructions) to guide you.

its a complicated system and you can easily trip yourself up, without meaning to do so.

i cannot address the whole take the bonus/dont take the bonus thing, as the Navy wasn't throwing around that kind of cash when i was in the market for a scholarship. what do you mean by using that year as leverage?

I am getting a little confused. I am on a four-year HPSP and my plan is to do an AEGD. I understand that my AD commitment will be five years. This is where my confusion sets in. Does this mean I will do one year in the AEGD program and two two-year operational tours? Or will it be one two-year operation tour and one two-year shore duty assignment?

Sorry to make you dumb it down for the slow guys like me.

I was led to believe by a retired navy dentist that as incentive to get me to stay in the military I may be able to swindle an overseas station or that it may help me get a specialty slot. Or perhaps get a specialty slot earlier. Is this completely untrue?

I would want Europe though, not Japan.

Also, I am a 2nd year and not in the program yet. I have been accepted but my documents have not arrived here yet. I've been accepted since early November. The Navy will not pay for the Fall semester, and will not back pay any stipend either. So, all that they will pay for this entire year is my tuition and supply cost from spring and stipend from the day I sign onward. Which looks like half of March on. I am not at an expensive school, so the financial benefit is not that great to me. I do already have 130k in debt that I am concerned about being able to pay down on a military salary.

I do very well in school and I am not worried about specializing should I decide to do it. My guess is that the military will make specialization easier to do, but that is no big deal. I understand the extra commitment that comes with further education and am not turned off by it. Money isn't the biggest deal to me.

Before I was pumped to sign largely because I thought that I would like the lifestyle and travel. Now I am second guessing that and the fact that I am being asked to sign for 3 years but essentially paid for 2 is really turning me off. I feel as though I am being cheated here.

Anyone have any advice? Is it even remotely worth my while to follow through with it?

I am getting a little confused. I am on a four-year HPSP and my plan is to do an AEGD. I understand that my AD commitment will be five years. This is where my confusion sets in. Does this mean I will do one year in the AEGD program and two two-year operational tours? Or will it be one two-year operation tour and one two-year shore duty assignment?

Sorry to make you dumb it down for the slow guys like me.

If you do an AEGD, you will be in the Navy for 5 years (if you have the four-year HPSP scholarship). That first year does not count towards pay back.

Once you graduate from the AEGD then you will most likely get an operational tour which is usually two years (for both ship and marines).
I do not know of anybody that got orders for 1 year with the marines.
Most orders are for 2 years or 3 years (unless it is for AEGD or GPR).

After that you are owed 3 years on shore where you might be picked to get to supplement the war on terror in the Persian Gulf if need be (for 6 months).

These are examples only to help you out.

A typical rotation for somebody that owes 4 years but wants to do an AEGD or GPR

Year 1 AEGD in Norfolk
Year 2 Camp Pendleton
Year 3 Camp Pendleton
Year 4 Naval Health Clinic San Diego
Year 5 Naval Health Clinic San Diego

IF you choose NOT to do an AEGD or GPR
Year 1 Great Lakes (this is where new seamen come through boot camp)
This is what people consider a credentialing tour
Year 2 USS Ronald Reagan or Camp Pendleton
Year 3 USS Ronald Reagan or Camp Pendleton
Year 4 suggest you extend on the ship or wherever you are so that you
are not forced a 5th year.

I would want Europe though, not Japan.

Also, I am a 2nd year and not in the program yet. I have been accepted but my documents have not arrived here yet. I've been accepted since early November. The Navy will not pay for the Fall semester, and will not back pay any stipend either. So, all that they will pay for this entire year is my tuition and supply cost from spring and stipend from the day I sign onward. Which looks like half of March on. I am not at an expensive school, so the financial benefit is not that great to me. I do already have 130k in debt that I am concerned about being able to pay down on a military salary.

I do very well in school and I am not worried about specializing should I decide to do it. My guess is that the military will make specialization easier to do, but that is no big deal. I understand the extra commitment that comes with further education and am not turned off by it. Money isn't the biggest deal to me.

Before I was pumped to sign largely because I thought that I would like the lifestyle and travel. Now I am second guessing that and the fact that I am being asked to sign for 3 years but essentially paid for 2 is really turning me off. I feel as though I am being cheated here.

Anyone have any advice? Is it even remotely worth my while to follow through with it?

Is the Navy paying for your dental school for just junior and senior years?
Is this HPSP or HPCP?

The main difference is HPSP pays for tuition and has a stipend.
You will be paid as a LT (O-3) with less than 2 years of service

HPCP (health professional collegiate program) does not pay for tuition but pays you as an enlisted (E-6) but the last years of dental school count towards pay. So you would be paid as an O-3 with more than 2 years of service. That is a difference in pay of 4013 per month vice 3540.

If you are worried about paying back your student loans then there is some thing called the HPLRP which is the Health Professional Loan Repayment Program which pays up for $40000 per year (minimum 2 years commitment) minus 25% taxes.

So if you choose NOT to do the HPSP or HPCP during this year, you can wait to sign up through the Navy during your senior year to get this loan repayment program.

Here is the website http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/LoanRepayment.aspx

You should email [email protected]
if you have any questions.

There are also other bonuses and something that is a called a critical retention bonus which is $20000 to keep LT to stay longer in the Navy.
You will be eligible for this in your 5th year.

I am not suggesting either way.

I myself did not join the Navy until my senior year.

I signed up for 3 years with a $30000 signing bonus for the 4th year.

I then signed up for the HPLRP program which paid for $70000 of my student loans.

If you want to make a career in the Navy, there will be many more bonuses once you do a specialy residency and after year 8.

There is a multi-year retention bonus of $50000 per year for a 4 year contract extension for graduated of specialty residencies AFTER their pay back.

So a good duty rotation if you want to (at least do 10-12 years).

Year 1 AEGD
Year 2 Ship/Marines
Year 3 Ship/Marines
Year 4 Residency
Year 5 Residency
Year 6 Residency or Ship/Marines
Year 7 Residency or Ship/Marines
Year 8 Shore Duty
Year 9 Shore Duty
Year 10 Shore Duty

Orthodontics, Comp Dent, Operative Dent, Exodontia, Endodontics are two
year residencies. Ortho and Endo require 3 year pay back before you are eligible for Multi-year retention bonus

Perio and Prosth are 3 year residencies with 3 year pay back

Oral Surgery is 4 year residency with 4 years pay back.

The best residency with least amount of pay back and most bonuses is Comprehensive dentistry. That is not a real specialty in the private sector but in the Navy it is. It is a more intense AEGD.

SO for argument sake, if you follow my plan on thinking about doing specialty residencies starting in years 3 or 4 then in year 9 you will be paid the following

Base salary estimated on O-4 pay 5700
BAH 1400-2500 Depending on where you live
BAS 200 per month
VSP 583.33 per month
ASP 12000 per year
Board certified 400 per month
Multi-year Retention 50000 per year

That will equal around $175000 in entitlements and salary for the year.
I know that does not compare to the civilian side of over $200,000
But you have free medical and dental and vision and the navy will pay for continuing education.

Some of my friends chose to stay in the navy because where
specialty residency in the private sector will pay you a salary of
$100000 per year while you are a resident??

So don't write off the Navy for a career yet but if you
just want to join to help pay for dental school, you might ask
your detailer about the HPSP, HPCP, and HPLRP and ask about differences and which will be the most advantageous to you.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
A typical rotation for somebody that owes 4 years but wants to do an AEGD or GPR

Year 1 AEGD in Norfolk
Year 2 Camp Pendleton
Year 3 Camp Pendleton
Year 4 Naval Health Clinic San Diego
Year 5 Naval Health Clinic San Diego

IF you choose NOT to do an AEGD or GPR
Year 1 Great Lakes (this is where new seamen come through boot camp)
This is what people consider a credentialing tour
Year 2 USS Ronald Reagan or Camp Pendleton
Year 3 USS Ronald Reagan or Camp Pendleton
Year 4 suggest you extend on the ship or wherever you are so that you
are not forced a 5th year.

When you're at Camp Pendleton or the Great Lakes, is there a wide range of procedures to be done or is it more amalgram, typically?

So, if you take AEGD or GPR, is less likely to end up on ship? Also, do a lot of people get stuck in doing a 5th year and would that increase the time of your deployment when you extend?

Finally, I forgot to ask, how difficult is it to get into a Pedo residency?

Thank you!