Ask Doctor Strange anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you both at Jeff?
No, I was super duper fortunate to receive several offers elsewhere and decided to withdraw before they or Drexel decided whether to even interview me. I was frankly flabbergasted by the schools that felt I was worthy as opposed to those like Drexel & Jeff that kept me hanging. Goes to show ya, never underestimate the variability of admissions committees.

//insomnia induced ramble

We've just been SDN friends for so long that we became friends IRL & meet every time I'm in Philly on business or for family related stuffs. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you planning to catch the new Daredevil series on Netflix?

Members don't see this ad :)
During your first 2 years at Jeff did u need a personal vehicle much, use public transit, or a mix of both?
Pretty much used public transit or walked everywhere. Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance. Cabs are also pretty convenient. Uber works, as well. I used Amtrak to commute home to Lancaster.

Pretty much used public transit or walked everywhere. Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance. Cabs are also pretty convenient. Uber works, as well. I used Amtrak to commute home to Lancaster.
Thanks! I'm a high stat IS applicant and hoping that I can convey the message that this isn't just a school I threw into my application. My family grew up in Philly and some of my extended family is still in the area. I'm really hoping to go back there and practice in the area. Is this good fodder for the additional info section of the secondary? I'm also a huge Philly sports fan, but idk if this would be useful information lol.

Thanks! I'm a high stat IS applicant and hoping that I can convey the message that this isn't just a school I threw into my application. My family grew up in Philly and some of my extended family is still in the area. I'm really hoping to go back there and practice in the area. Is this good fodder for the additional info section of the secondary? I'm also a huge Philly sports fan, but idk if this would be useful information lol.
That all sounds good. The Philly sports fan thing may be something to save for the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you write anything for the optional essay for Jefferson?

Also, are you planning on meeting up with applicants this cycle?

Did you write anything for the optional essay for Jefferson?

Also, are you planning on meeting up with applicants this cycle?
I don't remember exactly what I wrote, but I did write a short little paragraph. I think it may have been about the fact that I have family in Philadelphia and have been around the area for a good majority of my life. I think I also talked about coming from a somewhat "rural" background and the unique experience of working with Amish folk.

If time permits during third year, I am more than happy to have applicants buy me a drink in exchange for picking my brain about medical school and Jefferson.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't remember exactly what I wrote, but I did write a short little paragraph. I think it may have been about the fact that I have family in Philadelphia and have been around the area for a good majority of my life. I think I also talked about coming from a somewhat "rural" background and the unique experience of working with Amish folk.

If time permits during third year, I am more than happy to have applicants buy me a drink in exchange for picking my brain about medical school and Jefferson.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind in case Jeff sends an II my way.

How many hours total did you cry in the first 2 years of med school. If not hours, minutes and seconds. No rounding please.

Didn't cry. Just drank a lot.
Not even once? On a more serious note, how would you compare undergrad to med school? I've heard the "30 undergrad hours of science courses = 1 semester of med school" many times. What do you think?

Not even once? On a more serious note, how would you compare undergrad to med school? I've heard the "30 undergrad hours of science courses = 1 semester of med school" many times. What do you think?
Honestly, though, medical school doesn't have to be a miserable experience. I would say that these past two years have been the best years I've had to date. Take the time to invest in yourself and the people you care for. There will be a lot of studying, but do remember to be yourself. Go out for a drink once a week, work on a hobby, read a book, play video games. Do something other than medicine; encourage those around you to do something other than medicine. As hard as it is to see initially, your grades, especially during pre-clinical years, are not the most important thing in the world. Medical school will change who you are, but don't let it take away what makes you you.

As far as workload goes, medical school, put very simply, is one thing: volume. Most of the time, the concepts aren't incredibly difficult to learn; it's the amount of material that will get you. It can seem overwhelming at first, but you quickly learn to triage the important information from the superfluous minutiae. It's hard to put a concrete number of "credit" hours that medical school is compared to college. Experiences will vary greatly. I certainly study more than I did in undergrad, but I usually find myself with a couple of hours at the end of the day for myself.

Honestly, though, medical school doesn't have to be a miserable experience. I would say that these past two years have been the best years I've had to date. Take the time to invest in yourself and the people you care for. There will be a lot of studying, but do remember to be yourself. Go out for a drink once a week, work on a hobby, read a book, play video games. Do something other than medicine; encourage those around you to do something other than medicine. As hard as it is to see initially, your grades, especially during pre-clinical years, are not the most important thing in the world. Medical school will change who you are, but don't let it take away what makes you you.

As far as workload goes, medical school, put very simply, is one thing: volume. Most of the time, the concepts aren't incredibly difficult to learn; it's the amount of material that will get you. It can seem overwhelming at first, but you quickly learn to triage the important information from the superfluous minutiae. It's hard to put a concrete number of "credit" hours that medical school is compared to college. Experiences will vary greatly. I certainly study more than I did in undergrad, but I usually find myself with a couple of hours at the end of the day for myself.
Glad to hear! Honestly seems like something I would enjoy. If I come up with anything else I'll let you know!

Are you excited about the NWA movie?
image.jpg

Why doesn't Jefferson love me?

Jk, I'm willing to wait, Jefferson. Any interesting patients today?

Should people that are easily bored be punched in the face in order to alleviate their boredom?

How's it going?
Quite well, actually. Third year has been going on for six weeks, and things have been progressing well. I've been in a relationship for about seven months now and have never been happier. @Guero thinks my relationship is too cute for words. Things are looking up.

I think I remember u saying u got into temple and Jeff. What were some of the things that went into the differential for your decision?
Location was the big factor here. Center City is leaps and bounds better than the North Philadelphia area around Temple. A lot of the Temple students I know end up living in Center City and commute up. "Fit" was also something that played into it. I just got a better impression from the students and faculty at Jefferson. Cost was more or less the same in the grand scheme of things.

Are you excited about the NWA movie?
View attachment 194934
wut

Why doesn't Jefferson love me?

Jk, I'm willing to wait, Jefferson. Any interesting patients today?
Some interesting cases. You get a little bit of everything on internal medicine. Legionella pneumonia, immune thrombocytopenic purpura, and a whole host of other cool stuff. Aside from the pathology, I've also really enjoyed spending time with my patients. They're a cool bunch.

What satellite site were you assigned to?
I'm rotating through a bunch. Aside from Jefferson, there's Einstein, Christiana, York, Bryn Mawr, and Reading.

Should people that are easily bored be punched in the face in order to alleviate their boredom?
Depends. Maybe not me. My face is too beautiful.

Quite well, actually. Third year has been going on for six weeks, and things have been progressing well. I've been in a relationship for about seven months now and have never been happier. @Guero thinks my relationship is too cute for words. Things are looking up.

Location was the big factor here. Center City is leaps and bounds better than the North Philadelphia area around Temple. A lot of the Temple students I know end up living in Center City and commute up. "Fit" was also something that played into it. I just got a better impression from the students and faculty at Jefferson. Cost was more or less the same in the grand scheme of things.

wut

Some interesting cases. You get a little bit of everything on internal medicine. Legionella pneumonia, immune thrombocytopenic purpura, and a whole host of other cool stuff. Aside from the pathology, I've also really enjoyed spending time with my patients. They're a cool bunch.

I'm rotating through a bunch. Aside from Jefferson, there's Einstein, Christiana, York, Bryn Mawr, and Reading.

Depends. Maybe not me. My face is too beautiful.

You sound like the male version of me living in Pennsylvannia. :eek:

Our MCAT scores and cGPA/sGPA are nearly identical, I'm also doing an honours in pharmacology, applying to many of the similar schools you've applied to, was also doing really well on my MCAT practice exams (34-39) but ended up with a 33, immigrant from Asia, a nerd in my own way but not really socially awkward, lived in poverty as a kid but parents worked their way up to middle-upper class etc. etc.

This is indeed so strange! Are you my long lost twin??

You sound like the male version of me living in Pennsylvannia. :eek:

Our MCAT scores and cGPA/sGPA are nearly identical, I'm also doing an honours in pharmacology, applying to many of the similar schools you've applied to, was also doing really well on my MCAT practice exams (34-39) but ended up with a 33, immigrant from Asia, a nerd in my own way but not really socially awkward, lived in poverty as a kid but parents worked their way up to middle-upper class etc. etc.

This is indeed so strange! Are you my long lost twin??
Strange indeed. In a relationship with another man currently. If that's also the same, then it'd be really strange.