Ask Doctor Strange anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Idk if anyone asked to you this yet but did you see the Doctor Strange movie? If so did you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes! I've seen it! Overall, I liked it. It's not as true to the comics as I would have ideally liked it to be, but it was definitely an enjoyable movie. Curious to see how they're going to incorporate him in with the rest of the MCU.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! I've seen it! Overall, I liked it. It's not as true to the comics as I would have ideally liked it to be, but it was definitely an enjoyable movie. Curious to see how they're going to incorporate him in with the rest of the MCU.

It irked me a little how "quickly" he learned everything. I get that he's a genius neurosurgeon and what not, but it seems like he became a master sorcerer in like a week.

The visuals were awesome in the film, reminded me of Inception.

Another question: how expensive has fourth year been? Were you able to use student housing for your interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
It irked me a little how "quickly" he learned everything. I get that he's a genius neurosurgeon and what not, but it seems like he became a master sorcerer in like a week.
Yeah, they should have made it more clear how long it actually took him to learn everything. In my mind, it took like a year or at least a couple of months.
The visuals were awesome in the film, reminded me of Inception.

Another question: how expensive has fourth year been? Were you able to use student housing for your interviews?

So I'm a little atypical in that I only applied to ten programs and chose only to interview at seven. All of my interviews were within driving distance and only had to stay in one hotel. Obviously so, I had plenty of funds and didn't feel strapped for cash.

As far as other expenses, they haven't really changed. I've been in the same apparent for two years now and my loans cover living costs pretty well.

Any specific questions about finances?

Hi, so I am thinking about taking a photography class at a local college for fun. I will be traveling a bit before starting med school in June so I'd like to learn to take beautiful photos. I read in a previous post that you took a photography class, and initially you liked it, then later you said you "want to slit [your] wrist because photography is ruining [your] life"... now that scares me a bit, especially considering most of the other photography-related posts I've dug on on sdn all mentioned that it was one of the most difficult classes they took. I like to learn photography but I don't want to risk my chance at going to med school by getting a really bad grade in it. I can also learn photography on my own but that probably wouldn't be as fun. So, now that you've finished the class for a while, do you recommend the class? Thanks!

Hi, so I am thinking about taking a photography class at a local college for fun. I will be traveling a bit before starting med school in June so I'd like to learn to take beautiful photos. I read in a previous post that you took a photography class, and initially you liked it, then later you said you "want to slit [your] wrist because photography is ruining [your] life"... now that scares me a bit, especially considering most of the other photography-related posts I've dug on on sdn all mentioned that it was one of the most difficult classes they took. I like to learn photography but I don't want to risk my chance at going to med school by getting a really bad grade in it. I can also learn photography on my own but that probably wouldn't be as fun. So, now that you've finished the class for a while, do you recommend the class? Thanks!
That post was a little tongue and cheek. I actually really LOVED photography. It's a very detail oriented skill but pays off in the end for those that master it. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you're planning on continuing after. There's so much more you can do on a camera when not using the full automatic mode.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting thread! Haha you're very cool, Doctor Strange. I read your MDapp and I was excited to learn that you're also southeast Asian (or at least your parents are). REPRESENT!
Anyways, I've got two questions for you:
1) What do you think about the new healthcare policies setting in the future regarding NPs taking over primary care roles?
2) I really want to go to Jefferson, can you please put in a good word for me? ;)

Sincerely,
premed

Interesting thread! Haha you're very cool, Doctor Strange. I read your MDapp and I was excited to learn that you're also southeast Asian (or at least your parents are). REPRESENT!
Anyways, I've got two questions for you:
1) What do you think about the new healthcare policies setting in the future regarding NPs taking over primary care roles?
2) I really want to go to Jefferson, can you please put in a good word for me? ;)

Sincerely,
premed
Honestly not too informed on the situation. In my experience, NPs are really hit or miss. Don't really know much more to make an opinion.

I'm in to photography and such myself. Fun times. It's an expensive hobby. Got a link to your instagram / portfolio / photos?
Don't have an online portfolio, but here's what I usually show people when they ask about my photography...

FB_IMG_1483212481100.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Had a quick Jefferson specific question regarding financial aid... I was accepted and am planning on starting this year! Do you know when financial aid packages are sent out (I have completed my FAFSA), and what type of MCAT/ GPA do you need to receive any merit based scholarships?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a quick Jefferson specific question regarding financial aid... I was accepted and am planning on starting this year! Do you know when financial aid packages are sent out (I have completed my FAFSA), and what type of MCAT/ GPA do you need to receive any merit based scholarships?
I want to say sometime in the summer. I actually don't recall. There are very little merit based scholarships at Jefferson. Most people that receive aid come from low income or disadvantaged backgrounds. If you don't come from such a place, expect the free money to be nil.

I can't think of anything to ask, but, goodness, how time flies! Good luck to you. You are going to do so great. :)
Yeah, it's very surreal looking back. I've grown so much. You really don't know how med school changes you until you're actually here.

How did you study for the MCAT and for how long? Any advice for students who want to kill the MCAT?

How did you study for the MCAT and for how long? Any advice for students who want to kill the MCAT?
I took the MCAT in 2012, so it's certainly been awhile. I believe I studied for about eight weeks using the ExamKracker series. The week leading up to the test was mostly practice tests for me. I don't have any real advice on how to "kill" the MCAT other than doing well in your classes, having dedicated study time, and taking many practice tests. Good luck!

Does the Time Stone allow you to peer into the future (that has yet to happen), or does it only allow you to turn back time?
Unsure how they will be handling the Time Stone in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but, in the comics, the stone does allow users to peer into the many possible futures in addition to manipulation of time and time travel.

If I become a surgeon and am willing to break my hands. Will you take me as your pupil?

P.S. I'll bake cookies.

How many hours of nap time and sleep time did you get daily in undergrad and medical school?

How many hours of nap time and sleep time did you get daily in undergrad and medical school?
Um... I napped all the time in undergrad and med school. Usually 6-8 hours of sleep plus naps when I felt like it. Not drastically different from my undergrad experience.

Last edited:
Why do you read Marvel when DC is clearly superior? IMO outside Ultimate Spiderman (only Bendis and Bagley issues), Miller's DD, Alias (Bendis back when he didn't suck), and Ms. Marvel, Marvel is pretty much trash
Barely anything approaches the quality of DC works like Watchmen, DKR, Superman: Red Son, Kingdom Come, Swamp Thing (Moore), Animal Man (Morrison), The Killing Joke, etc.

Why do you read Marvel when DC is clearly superior? IMO outside Ultimate Spiderman (only Bendis and Bagley issues), Miller's DD, Alias (Bendis back when he didn't suck), and Ms. Marvel, Marvel is pretty much trash
Barely anything approaches the quality of DC works like Watchmen, DKR, Superman: Red Son, Kingdom Come, Swamp Thing (Moore), Animal Man (Morrison), The Killing Joke, etc.
I did enjoy Watchmen but I guess I just had a lot more exposure to Marvel growing up and sort of gravitated towards it. The original X-Men animated series was something I watched religiously. I really identified with the characters at the time and the internal and external strife surrounding being different really spoke to me. I didn't really acknowledge to myself that I was gay until high school but I always knew that I was different.

Through college and into adulthood was when I really got into Doctor Strange. In fact, I've read every major appearance of Doctor Strange since his debut back in the 60s.

All in all, I think I ended up liking the Marvel characters more. They tend to be more quirky and colorful. Way more up my alley than some of the mainstream DC heroes like Batman and Superman.

How fast did you adapt to medical school and what ways did you adapt?

Any tips or insight you would give to a premed student in regards of the rigorous coursework of medical school? For an example, the fire hose that everyone keeps using. I'm assuming medical schools really care about if students can really handle the coursework

How fast did you adapt to medical school and what ways did you adapt?

Any tips or insight you would give to a premed student in regards of the rigorous coursework of medical school? For an example, the fire hose that everyone keeps using. I'm assuming medical schools really care about if students can really handle the coursework
Fairly quickly. Maybe within two weeks. When you have that much information thrown at you, you're pretty much forced to start triaging what you think is important and what isn't. Every med student that comes in fresh thinks that they'll be the one that's going to learn everything and be different than everyone that's come before them; it's a pipe dream, to say the least. In addition, your gut instinct to stay sane kicks in, and your mind starts wandering. This is a sign that you need to stop studying for a bit and do something fun. Nap, eat, go for a run, eat, drink, whatever. Burn out is incredibly common in medical school and throughout the medical career, and I think the biggest mistake people make is not making time for the things that make you you.

Reactions: 2 users
Fairly quickly. Maybe within two weeks. When you have that much information thrown at you, you're pretty much forced to start triaging what you think is important and what isn't. Every med student that comes in fresh thinks that they'll be the one that's going to learn everything and be different than everyone that's come before them; it's a pipe dream, to say the least. In addition, your gut instinct to stay sane kicks in, and your mind starts wandering. This is a sign that you need to stop studying for a bit and do something fun. Nap, eat, go for a run, eat, drink, whatever. Burn out is incredibly common in medical school and throughout the medical career, and I think the biggest mistake people make is not making time for the things that make you you.
Is it weird to say that i want a glimpse of a week of medical school? I'm doing a DIY post bacc right now and so far it hasn't really been a challenge for me until next semester.

Is it weird to say that i want a glimpse of a week of medical school? I'm doing a DIY post bacc right now and so far it hasn't really been a challenge for me until next semester.
Everyone thinks it won't be that bad because you'll be studying what you're "passionate" about. Trust me, you won't love everything. You won't love even half of it. Medicine is great, but the first two years are a grind, and it wears you down.

Everyone thinks it won't be that bad because you'll be studying what you're "passionate" about. Trust me, you won't love everything. You won't love even half of it. Medicine is great, but the first two years are a grind, and it wears you down.

What do you do to retain energy or at least gain some? I want to say my fear is that I'll lose energy and will get behind.

What do you do to retain energy or at least gain some? I want to say my fear is that I'll lose energy and will get behind.
Do something else. You will always be behind. There's no way you can learn everything. Prioritize what's important, study, then go do something else to keep sane. Part of being in med school is learning to be okay with not knowing everything. Literally thousands have done this before you. You're not alone.

Do something else. You will always be behind. There's no way you can learn everything. Prioritize what's important, study, then go do something else to keep sane. Part of being in med school is learning to be okay with not knowing everything. Literally thousands have done this before you. You're not alone.
Any cool stories of you or your colleagues getting pimped during rounds? What was your reason into going into medicine and do you regret it?

Any cool stories of you or your colleagues getting pimped during rounds? What was your reason into going into medicine and do you regret it?
I've never really been "pimped" if we're sticking to the truest definition of the term. A lot of people like to complain that "oh I got pimped by my attending today" when it was just some simple questions without any malicious intent behind it.

My reasons for going into medicine initially were definitely more academic than altruistic. I wanted to help people but I was more fascinated by the human body and physiology. That has changed a lot throughout this process. The majority of my motivation for being in medicine is now patient driven and more aligned with the humanistic aspect of medicine. I don't have any regrets about going into medicine. It's a wonderful field, and there's nothing else I would rather be doing.

I've never really been "pimped" if we're sticking to the truest definition of the term. A lot of people like to complain that "oh I got pimped by my attending today" when it was just some simple questions without any malicious intent behind it.

My reasons for going into medicine initially were definitely more academic than altruistic. I wanted to help people but I was more fascinated by the human body and physiology. That has changed a lot throughout this process. The majority of my motivation for being in medicine is now patient driven and more aligned with the humanistic aspect of medicine. I don't have any regrets about going into medicine. It's a wonderful field, and there's nothing else I would rather be doing.

How did you mentally prepare yourself to endure medical school knowing that you won't have a lot of time to socialize or do a lot of thing you used to do? One of my struggle beginning of undergrad was that I didn't want to neglect my social life so I was constantly on Facebook and on the internet trying to keep up with the latest gossip and news.

How did you mentally prepare yourself to endure medical school knowing that you won't have a lot of time to socialize or do a lot of thing you used to do? One of my struggle beginning of undergrad was that I didn't want to neglect my social life so I was constantly on Facebook and on the internet trying to keep up with the latest gossip and news.
You will still have time for friends and hobbies, you'll just have to budget your time accordingly. Sure, you may not be able to go out every day and party, but I still found time to sit down and have a drink with my buds a couple of times a week. Heck, I went out clubbing half of the weekends. Everything is medical school is about prioritizing time. You can do almost anything. You don't have to give up a whole lot if you're willing to work when it's time to work. Avoiding procrastination is key.

Do you know much about Jefferson's Physician Shortage Area Program? It seems to be worded pretty vaguely and it looks like there's a chance they try to siphon you right into FM.

Do you know much about Jefferson's Physician Shortage Area Program? It seems to be worded pretty vaguely and it looks like there's a chance they try to siphon you right into FM.
I'm not in the PSAP program myself, but I do know that they heavily favor applicants who want to go into family medicine. There's no way they can force you into family medicine, but it's something that is emphasized; it's the program mission after all. I don't suggest applying to this program if your intent isn't to practice some sort of primary care in a rural area.

I'm not in the PSAP program myself, but I do know that they heavily favor applicants who want to go into family medicine. There's no way they can force you into family medicine, but it's something that is emphasized; it's the program mission after all. I don't suggest applying to this program if your intent isn't to practice some sort of primary care in a rural area.

Is there anything that binds you to that? It seems fairly easy to just go and say "yeah I totally want to do that" prior to four years of medical school. I'm not planning on committing some horrid integrity violation or something but it seems a bit odd. They do have written elsewhere that they consider applicants interested in any specialty but heavily favor primary/FM. Honestly I would think "I don't know" is a fair enough answer for an incoming medical student.

Is there anything that binds you to that? It seems fairly easy to just go and say "yeah I totally want to do that" prior to four years of medical school. I'm not planning on committing some horrid integrity violation or something but it seems a bit odd. They do have written elsewhere that they consider applicants interested in any specialty but heavily favor primary/FM. Honestly I would think "I don't know" is a fair enough answer for an incoming medical student.
The students they typically accept to the program have shown through their application and interview that they have a genuine interest in primary care in rural underserved areas. There is nothing that commits you to family medicine if you decide along the way that you'd be happier doing something else, but it usually doesn't come down to that because they screen pretty vigorously from what I've heard. Just to be clear, this is not an "easy" route to getting into medical school if you happen to come from a rural area. The matriculants to this program are highly qualified on top of coming from the areas delineated in the application. If you have any doubt in your mind at this point in the game that primary care is what you ultimately want to end up doing, then do not apply to PSAP. Your "I don't know" answer is perfectly acceptable but doesn't belong in PSAP but rather in the general medical school admissions pool.

Your "I don't know" answer is perfectly acceptable but doesn't belong in PSAP but rather in the general medical school admissions pool.

*the horror*

But in all honesty, as an applicant I am glad to see that the system seems quite BS proof. I am really hopeful for a seat at Jefferson as it's been my top choice pretty much forever, but I haven't exactly tailored my application to any particular specialty despite growing up in one of the middle-of-nowhere places they specify.

Didn't want to hijack my buddy @sinombre 's thread. Ask me questions here. Matched internal medicine, not at my top ranked program but still very satisfied with where I'm going. :)
Average hours studying per week for year 1-2? Favorite/least favorite rotation? Favoraye/least favorite rotation site at Jeff?

Average hours studying per week for year 1-2? Favorite/least favorite rotation? Favoraye/least favorite rotation site at Jeff?
I want to say like 20-30 hours studying per week?

Favorite rotation was my outpatient sub-internship. Least favorite rotation was surgery. Least favorite rotation at Jeff was probably anesthesia.

I want to say like 20-30 hours studying per week?

Favorite rotation was my outpatient sub-internship. Least favorite rotation was surgery. Least favorite rotation at Jeff was probably anesthesia.

Sorry just to clarify, rotation site* at Jeff. if you did any rotations not at the main hospital (lankenau for example)

Sorry just to clarify, rotation site* at Jeff. if you did any rotations not at the main hospital (lankenau for example)
Oh! My favorite rotation site aside from Jeff was actually Reading Hospital. I did pediatrics there. Great clinic, beautiful hospital, and a $20 daily stipend for food! Least favorite was Einstein Hospital for a variety of reasons other than the hospital itself. Others have had a good experience there, though.

Oh! My favorite rotation site aside from Jeff was actually Reading Hospital. I did pediatrics there. Great clinic, beautiful hospital, and a $20 daily stipend for food! Least favorite was Einstein Hospital for a variety of reasons other than the hospital itself. Others have had a good experience there, though.

I didn't know Jeff students ended up there, that's so awesome. The food was always above expectations.