Ask if I'm getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to an SMP, after having spoken with the head of the admissions committee last fall. She had informally told me that she didn't anticipate me having any problems being admitted due to my 33 MCAT, and her reaction to my 2.6 GPA, given my leadership positions, community service, and extracurriculars, was to say "It seems like you were a little activist in college!!" (I am currently doing 1 year of postbacc and bringing it up as well)

Apparently it may take two months until I receive a decision on my application. I know I want to go to this SMP. Applying to others 'just in case' would be a hassle and would be costly (I barely have the cash to do it). However, if I don't get into this program and all of a sudden it's April and I have to look for other SMP's, my life is rather screwed.

Should I contact the head of admissions and talk to her again? I already sat down with her once to discuss the program, and then stopped by her office when dropping off my application. Perhaps I could just ask at what point I might expect a decision to be made? That seems reasonable.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That 2.6 GPA will be a problem, even for getting into an SMP. A 33 MCAT really isn't going to do it. To be totally honest, even with a 4.0 SMP, most US allopathic schools are going to balk at that undergrad GPA. You need lots of eggs in lots of baskets, and have sacrificed the ability to be choosy over SMP program or future med school, no matter the ECs you may have. If I were you I would apply to more programs, and have a Plan B if none of them work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
That 2.6 GPA will be a problem, even for getting into an SMP. A 33 MCAT really isn't going to do it. To be totally honest, even with a 4.0 SMP, most US allopathic schools are going to balk at that undergrad GPA. You need lots of eggs in lots of baskets, and have sacrificed the ability to be choosy over SMP program or future med school, no matter the ECs you may have. If I were you I would apply to more programs, and have a Plan B if none of them work out.

For what it's worth, that 2.6 is up to a 2.72 after one post-bacc semester of 3.8, and may rise as high as 2.82 after this spring semester...however, I do see your point.

Thank you for your opinion. I would appreciate other opinions if anyone else would like to contribute.

0.jpg

love,
boxxy queen of SDM

I applied to an SMP, after having spoken with the head of the admissions committee last fall. She had informally told me that she didn't anticipate me having any problems being admitted due to my 33 MCAT, and her reaction to my 2.6 GPA, given my leadership positions, community service, and extracurriculars, was to say "It seems like you were a little activist in college!!" (I am currently doing 1 year of postbacc and bringing it up as well)

Apparently it may take two months until I receive a decision on my application. I know I want to go to this SMP. Applying to others 'just in case' would be a hassle and would be costly (I barely have the cash to do it). However, if I don't get into this program and all of a sudden it's April and I have to look for other SMP's, my life is rather screwed.

Should I contact the head of admissions and talk to her again? I already sat down with her once to discuss the program, and then stopped by her office. when dropping off my application. Perhaps I could just ask at what point I might expect a decision to be made? That seems reasonable.

I don't think that GPA is going to get you in anywhere.

I don't think that GPA is going to get you in anywhere.

Since someone decided to bring this thread back from the dead, I'll state how this worked out:

I told the SMP admissions head that I would like to focus on school and only apply to this program, instead of applying to like 5 to 10 SMP's. I was informally accepted on the spot. I raised my uGPA in the postbacc from 2.55 to 2.75 to 2.84 in two semesters of 3.9 Biology work, and I have a 4.0 in the SMP. I will take classes both at the undergrad institution where i did my postbacc, and at my SMP, next semester. I will end up with a 2.94 undergrad GPA after next semester, and have a second undergrad degree in biology - summa cum laude. Next fall I will graduate from the SMP summa cum laude. I'll be just fine

For what it's worth, that 2.6 is up to a 2.72 after one post-bacc semester of 3.8, and may rise as high as 2.82 after this spring semester...however, I do see your point.

Thank you for your opinion. I would appreciate other opinions if anyone else would like to contribute.

didn't realize it was an old thread.