Ask Me Anything! - D4 at UTHealth School of Dentistry at Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Typical Average Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm bored. Hit me with some hot burning questions.

Currently a D4 at Houston, was focused on specializing in OS coming in but now on a completely different path and non-traditional route of dentistry, concurrently pursuing a MBA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What’s the lowest subsection score you’ve witnessed someone have on DAT and get into dental school? Please include which section as well.

What’s the lowest subsection score you’ve witnessed someone have on DAT and get into dental school? Please include which section as well.
Most schools have DAT minimums, I know plenty of people who scored 16s in one particular section... mostly PAT. My lowest was 19 in reading. Though every entering year, the DAT averages have been increasing at my school so it may be more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the clinic requirements?
Is it easy to get chairs?
What is the process like finding patients?
What are some of the noteworthy electives offered?

Do you still plan to stay and practice in H town?

Reactions: 1 user
What are the clinic requirements?
Is it easy to get chairs?
What is the process like finding patients?
What are some of the noteworthy electives offered?

Do you still plan to stay and practice in H town?
We have a point system, operative is between 1-4 points depending on the number of surfaces, 2 points per EXT, etc.
Requirements are increasing and changing every year but this was my requirements during my years

2nd year = 90 points

3rd year = 3 crowns, 2 arches of removable, specific perio requirements, and 90 operative points, 100 OS points, 150 Peds points, ortho stuff, im sure I'm missing more but that's the bulk

4th year = 17 crowns 1 of which has to be scanned and milled, 8 arches of removable, 300 operative points, alveoplastys, bunch of peds stuff, more perio stuff, more ortho, it's a lot of requirements and you'll be very busy.

Its relatively easy to get chairs if you book within a week.

You are given some patients to call on your own and schedule everything yourself, you can also bring in your friends and family too.

We have clear aligners elective, sleep apnea, Dental insurance, forensic odontology, traumatic injuries, etc.

I will be staying in Houston

I am interviewing there in two weeks! Super excited. Could you tell me a little bit about your Interview and how it went? Any advice for an out of state student? Thanks!

Why did you stop pursuing OS? Class Rank, CBSE, or not academically related?

Are you planning on starting a DSO with the MBA, or trying to move up the corporate ladder at a DSO?

I am interviewing there in two weeks! Super excited. Could you tell me a little bit about your Interview and how it went? Any advice for an out of state student? Thanks!
The interview is one on one for around 20-40 minutes with a faculty member. It's essentially a nice conversation where you should take the time to ask the faculty all the questions you want and they will do the same to you lol.

Curious about your future nontraditional dentistry route with the MBA.
Why did you stop pursuing OS? Class Rank, CBSE, or not academically related?

Are you planning on starting a DSO with the MBA, or trying to move up the corporate ladder at a DSO?

I love OS but since I am not very flexible on where I can go after dental school, my choices for OS were limited down to 1 school, academically I was not up to par seeing that everyone in the top were earning 100%s in almost every test... I couldn't compete. Also, I like doing other procedures like endo and might even consider going back to school for residency, I wanted more variety in my work and OS kind of got boring especially if you only did private practice.

You hit the nail on the head with the reason for the MBA. I got bit by the entrepreneur bug and want to do a start-up business in something other than a dental office... I am also exploring the idea of trying to move up the corporate ladder at a DSO or other large dental company, then eventually become a part-time professor at the dental school... working in a large company appeals very much to me. To me, working in a small private practice gets boring and working for a large company satisfies my desire to be a part of something really big.

There's a faculty at the Colorado School of Dentistry: Dr. Brad Guyton, I essentially want to be just like him. You can read more into his bio here: https://www.pacificdentalservices.c.../pds-institute-dentistry/faculty/brad-guyton/

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So would you say competition is pretty fierce near the top of a dental school class? What differentiates these students scoring 100's on every exam from everyone else?

Also what about academic OS? Oral Surgery has arguable the broadest scope of any dental specialty, if you look past the teeth and titanium.

And lastly what is your opinion of how DSO's are taking over dentistry? Do you think they are taking advantage of new grads situations (high loans etc.)?

So would you say competition is pretty fierce near the top of a dental school class? What differentiates these students scoring 100's on every exam from everyone else?

Also what about academic OS? Oral Surgery has arguable the broadest scope of any dental specialty, if you look past the teeth and titanium.

And lastly what is your opinion of how DSO's are taking over dentistry? Do you think they are taking advantage of new grads situations (high loans etc.)?

Competition is very fierce near the top, especially for the first 2.5 years, then it drops off once people decide if they want to specialize or not. The students who score 100s on everything are very normal and cool people, definitely not the typical nerdy weird person type, they're just way more dedicated and motivated to specialize than everyone else haha.

Academic OS is great -- lots of satisfaction in that field, just not for me. I spoke with academic OS faculty and they've said that the state invests so much money to train you as an oral surgeon and you should use that training to work in the hospital to do complex cases, not to pull 3rds all day in private practice. I thought that was funny lol... I would argue that prosthodontics is probably the most broad-based specialty :)

The rise of DSOs is scary being that most new grads are working in corporate to pay off these huge loans... we even have a "signing day" for seniors to sign new corporate job offers... yikes. Also... a growing number of offices are being taken over by DSOs. I think there's a fine line between milking an office of all the money it can produce by adopting a DSO business strategy vs. having an office produce an amount that is mutualistic to the patient's well being, the DSO, the practice owner, and the future of dentistry. I can go on for days about what concerns me and what we can change but essentially I think there is a lot of greed and I think to decrease this greed, we should limit dental practice ownership to only dentists in all states. Note: ownership vs. practice is different. In some states, non-dentists are allowed to have a share in a dental practice, in California, a non-dentist is not allowed to, the policy behind the law is to prevent unlicensed people from interfering with the dentist’s professional judgment. Which I think in corporate and many DSO models, they establish a hard quota that you must meet every month which will indirectly cause you as a dentist to over-treat... I think training dentists to be more business savvy will decrease the amount of dependency of a practice owner who is wanting to reach out to a DSO to take over the business aspect.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I live in North Texas, near Dallas. I'm beginning to apply for the Dental Hygiene program at my community college. It's required to get 16 observation hours from a licensed dental hygienist for the application so I'm currently looking for a dental office to get a shadowing opportunity. So far I haven't had any luck finding one. I've called about 5 or 6 offices and pretty much all the receptionists have told me that they would give my contact details to the dentist. Didn't get any callbacks for several weeks. I need some advice on how to ask for a shadowing opportunity. Would it be a good idea to ask the receptionist to make a short appointment for me with the dentist to ask for the opportunity? by the way, this is what i usually say when i call :
Hi goodmorning/good afternoon, my name is X. i'm a student from X college. I'm calling because I'm applying for the dental hygiene program so I'm looking for an office to get a shadowing opportunity. When would it be convenient to speak with Dr.X to ask if I could shadowing one of his/her Dental hygienists??"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I live in North Texas, near Dallas. I'm beginning to apply for the Dental Hygiene program at my community college. It's required to get 16 observation hours from a licensed dental hygienist for the application so I'm currently looking for a dental office to get a shadowing opportunity. So far I haven't had any luck finding one. I've called about 5 or 6 offices and pretty much all the receptionists have told me that they would give my contact details to the dentist. Didn't get any callbacks for several weeks. I need some advice on how to ask for a shadowing opportunity. Would it be a good idea to ask the receptionist to make a short appointment for me with the dentist to ask for the opportunity? by the way, this is what i usually say when i call :
Hi goodmorning/good afternoon, my name is X. i'm a student from X college. I'm calling because I'm applying for the dental hygiene program so I'm looking for an office to get a shadowing opportunity. When would it be convenient to speak with Dr.X to ask if I could shadowing one of his/her Dental hygienists??"
I would first try contacting your personal dentist if you have one, if they don't have a hygienist I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.
If that doesn't work, I would physically go into a dental office (dressed business casual) around when they aren't busy... maybe when they first open (maybe around 8 or 9am) or right before lunch when they're slowing down, then ask the front desk. Calls are too easy to reject so the only way I see doing it is by physically going in.
Thirdly if that doesn't work, ask some friends if they know a local hygienist friend that you can shadow or ask the community college if they can point you in the right direction.

I would first try contacting your personal dentist if you have one, if they don't have a hygienist I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.
If that doesn't work, I would physically go into a dental office (dressed business casual) around when they aren't busy... maybe when they first open (maybe around 8 or 9am) or right before lunch when they're slowing down, then ask the front desk. Calls are too easy to reject so the only way I see doing it is by physically going in.
Thirdly if that doesn't work, ask some friends if they know a local hygienist friend that you can shadow or ask the community college if they can point you in the right direction.
Thank you for the advice!

hi there I'd like some advice again from you if you don't mind helping me. For my application, I'm required to get 2 reference forms. They can be from an employer/educator/ or someone in a supervisory position to me. I already have in mind to ask the dental hygienist I'll observe, but for the other person, I'm not sure. I've never had a job or volunteered somewhere before. I can only think of asking a professor from one of my current classes. However, I'm not the kind of person to go up and talk to anyone, even a professor. I have a shy personality and talk softly. It's difficult to get out of my comfort zone and do something I'm not used to. I usually get nervous and embarrassed. My voice gets shaky too. But i know I have to force myself unfortunately to do it.
I have in mind a professor to get close to but I'm overthinking a lot of things to approach her and it's making me feel less confident. Anyways, I'd like to know how I should get started on becoming close to a professor?? how should I maintain this relationship in the long run to get a good reference form? and when would it be a good time to ask for a reference between now until finals??

hi there I'd like some advice again from you if you don't mind helping me. For my application, I'm required to get 2 reference forms. They can be from an employer/educator/ or someone in a supervisory position to me. I already have in mind to ask the dental hygienist I'll observe, but for the other person, I'm not sure. I've never had a job or volunteered somewhere before. I can only think of asking a professor from one of my current classes. However, I'm not the kind of person to go up and talk to anyone, even a professor. I have a shy personality and talk softly. It's difficult to get out of my comfort zone and do something I'm not used to. I usually get nervous and embarrassed. My voice gets shaky too. But i know I have to force myself unfortunately to do it.
I have in mind a professor to get close to but I'm overthinking a lot of things to approach her and it's making me feel less confident. Anyways, I'd like to know how I should get started on becoming close to a professor?? how should I maintain this relationship in the long run to get a good reference form? and when would it be a good time to ask for a reference between now until finals??

Unfortunately dentistry is a very interpersonal field, just think if you were sitting in the dental chair and the dentist comes in and says like 1 or 2 words... does their work and leaves.... it's kinda weird. I would maybe recommend starting to get out of your comfort zone and saying "hi" to random people you sit next to or standing next to in line. Maybe talk to the cashier or employee at a store just for starters. Within a week or two, just do the same to your professor. You can start by asking questions during or after lecture. I think asking questions or clarification during lecture is the most nerve raking, if you are able to ask one question during lecture, you should have no problem coming up to your professor after class to ask a question. That's the best way to approach a professor for rec letters. Maybe visit them during office hours once you start getting used to asking questions in class.
My philosophy is that never approach a person knowing that you want something from them (in this case a rec letter), your words will seem scripted and you'll be very nervous. Just relax and talk to them as if they're an old friend. It's easier said than done and will require some practice as a conversation starter.
You can do it!

Unfortunately dentistry is a very interpersonal field, just think if you were sitting in the dental chair and the dentist comes in and says like 1 or 2 words... does their work and leaves.... it's kinda weird. I would maybe recommend starting to get out of your comfort zone and saying "hi" to random people you sit next to or standing next to in line. Maybe talk to the cashier or employee at a store just for starters. Within a week or two, just do the same to your professor. You can start by asking questions during or after lecture. I think asking questions or clarification during lecture is the most nerve raking, if you are able to ask one question during lecture, you should have no problem coming up to your professor after class to ask a question. That's the best way to approach a professor for rec letters. Maybe visit them during office hours once you start getting used to asking questions in class.
My philosophy is that never approach a person knowing that you want something from them (in this case a rec letter), your words will seem scripted and you'll be very nervous. Just relax and talk to them as if they're an old friend. It's easier said than done and will require some practice as a conversation starter.
You can do it!
Thank you. I really appreciate your help! It means a lot :) I will do my best!

So, does dental school get easier after the first fall semester. I feel like im not able to apply anything I learn. Trying to compete with the top students pretty much put me into depression and anxiety. Especially neuro and biomed if you know what I mean haha. Gosh man you're admirable. Sometimes I'm unsure if the path I took is correct. I love dentistry but this constant beat down is wearing me down fast and i'm only in the first semester. People told me that everyone is on the same boat but the average is always high. I'm just looking towards that light at the end of the tunnel.

So, does dental school get easier after the first fall semester. I feel like im not able to apply anything I learn. Trying to compete with the top students pretty much put me into depression and anxiety. Especially neuro and biomed if you know what I mean haha. Gosh man you're admirable. Sometimes I'm unsure if the path I took is correct. I love dentistry but this constant beat down is wearing me down fast and i'm only in the first semester. People told me that everyone is on the same boat but the average is always high. I'm just looking towards that light at the end of the tunnel.
It gets A LOT easier down the road, especially in 4th year, it's so relaxing... after clinic you just go home, go to the gym, watch some TV, youtube, whatever.. the light at the end of the tunnel is closer than you think!
When I realized what the top students were scoring on their exams, I felt there was no way I could compete with them, they're literally scoring 98-100% on every exam, it's ridiculous. I absolutely hated neuro and biomed, I would study all day and night and only score low 80s if I was lucky. You'll realize what you're good at later on. All of the sciences honestly do not matter, you apply very little of it in a day to day basis. Once you get to clinic you'll start feeling a lot better especially knowing those "top students" aren't very good in clinic lol. My advice would be talk to as many upper classmen as possible!!! They have so much advice/tips/tricks to give you to make everything so much easier, they took every class that you took and you should learn from their mistakes.

Reactions: 3 users
20 units of fixed is impressive! Are these single units? Or does this include abutments/Pontics for FPD’s? Do you have an implant restoration requirement? What about Endo?

sorry about all the questions, just curious!

20 units of fixed is impressive! Are these single units? Or does this include abutments/Pontics for FPD’s? Do you have an implant restoration requirement? What about Endo?

sorry about all the questions, just curious!
20 single unit crowns minimum, one 3 unit bridge = 2.5 crown credits
We have 1 implant restoration requirement
3 molar endo and 3 anterior endo

What made you decide to go to Houston over the other Texas dental schools? Interviewing soon :)

20 single unit crowns minimum, one 3 unit bridge = 2.5 crown credits
We have 1 implant restoration requirement
3 molar endo and 3 anterior endo
Those are serious requirements, Houston sounds like a great school.
They let you do 2nd molar Endo or does that go to PG?

Those are serious requirements, Houston sounds like a great school.
They let you do 2nd molar Endo or does that go to PG?

If the roots are straight and not calcified, they'll let us do it, if we get stuck and its deemed too difficult for us, we can transfer to a resident if they're available

What kind of starting salaries are most graduates seeing in the Houston area? Both for Corp and private associates? Does Houston feel extremely saturated with dentists? Also is there concern with the new Texas dental school in El Paso opening up and increasing saturation in the future?

tryna build a multimillion enterprise ayyyyy

• Haha
What kind of starting salaries are most graduates seeing in the Houston area? Both for Corp and private associates? Does Houston feel extremely saturated with dentists? Also is there concern with the new Texas dental school in El Paso opening up and increasing saturation in the future?
Most of us are getting offers right now at around $500-600 a day or 28-30% collections. Houston is super saturated, every corner has at least 3 offices. No joke. You can just search "dentist" on google maps and see how many are in the area. The El Paso school opening up will be fine as long as they try to aim for students that are not from the major cities... preferably pick dental students from the el paso region and they should be fine.

Most of us are getting offers right now at around $500-600 a day or 28-30% collections. Houston is super saturated, every corner has at least 3 offices. No joke. You can just search "dentist" on google maps and see how many are in the area. The El Paso school opening up will be fine as long as they try to aim for students that are not from the major cities... preferably pick dental students from the el paso region and they should be fine.

Very interesting. Income potential for first year out looks to be $130,000+ then? How do you increase that over the years? Learning more difficult/specialty procedures (I'm guessing implants and etc.) and starting a private practice? And I'm sure student loans are very affordable as well coming from a Texas school.

I interviewed at A&M in September 17th
Houston Jan 25th
San antonio Jan 15th

I got A&M really early but haven't heard back from Houston or San Antonio yet, looks like others have had similar experiences. Did you get Houston/San Antonio like 2-3 weeks in advance?

I interviewed at A&M in September 17th
Houston Jan 25th
San antonio Jan 15th
you interviewed very early for A&M, were you surprised you didn't get in on dec 1-2? What were your stats and did you feel like your interviews at the Texas schools went well? Thanks

Very interesting. Income potential for first year out looks to be $130,000+ then? How do you increase that over the years? Learning more difficult/specialty procedures (I'm guessing implants and etc.) and starting a private practice? And I'm sure student loans are very affordable as well coming from a Texas school.

I got A&M really early but haven't heard back from Houston or San Antonio yet, looks like others have had similar experiences. Did you get Houston/San Antonio like 2-3 weeks in advance?
Yeah, usually increasing your skill set, becoming more efficient, and transitioning to different offices may fit you better. Student loans are what they are... I'm just under 200k in debt.
Houston and SA, yes, they email 2 weeks or so before your interview

you interviewed very early for A&M, were you surprised you didn't get in on dec 1-2? What were your stats and did you feel like your interviews at the Texas schools went well? Thanks
Yes I was disappointed lol, my interview there went pretty ok... especially being that I got into Pittsburgh and I barely talked during the interview... the interviewer spoke 90% of the time.
Stats were 3.7 with a 21 AA. I feel like I know exactly what I did wrong at SA... I told them i was intrigued by hospital dentistry and I noticed the interviewer wrote some stuff down, also I believe their school is more stat oriented. A&M 1 of the 3 interviewers gave me a difficult interview question that I remember I had a really hard time answering. (I don't remember what it was lol). Houston was just an average interview

Is it very easy to find a job as a new grad? Like could I be working in two weeks if I applied to a bunch of places?

Also what is the pay structure you see at the corps? Is $600 a day as an employee with benefits or a contractor? Contractors have to pay extra income tax. As a gross estimate how much production do you think a new graduate could do a year?

Is it very easy to find a job as a new grad? Like could I be working in two weeks if I applied to a bunch of places?

Also what is the pay structure you see at the corps? Is $600 a day as an employee with benefits or a contractor? Contractors have to pay extra income tax. As a gross estimate how much production do you think a new graduate could do a year?
Fairly easy... but it's difficult to find the right fit. Not all offices operate the same so your ideal practice may not be easy to find. Most corporates are looking for people who willing to relocate as well.

My classmatess are getting offers for 25-32% collections, overall getting roughly 30% on avg. Benefits are a hit or miss, some give it, some dont. I've heard numbers of ~80-120k avg for the first year

Fairly easy... but it's difficult to find the right fit. Not all offices operate the same so your ideal practice may not be easy to find. Most corporates are looking for people who willing to relocate as well.

My classmatess are getting offers for 25-32% collections, overall getting roughly 30% on avg. Benefits are a hit or miss, some give it, some dont. I've heard numbers of ~80-120k avg for the first year

Is it like you either get $500 that day or 30% of production whichever is higher? Or is it only one of them?

Is it like you either get $500 that day or 30% of production whichever is higher? Or is it only one of them?
$500 or 30%, whichever is higher is correct. I've been told a lot of the time you will get above the $500 mark as long as you stay busy

$500 or 30%, whichever is higher is correct. I've been told a lot of the time you will get above the $500 mark as long as you stay busy

So does this include both? Like if I have a slow day I will only make 500 and then the next day I can make 800. Like 500 being the absolute minimum for the day with the potential to still make more.

Hey! I'm a NY applicant, was wondering if you know the chances of one like me applying to OOS Texas schools? Also any tips on one's application that stands out? Thanks.

Hey! I'm a NY applicant, was wondering if you know the chances of one like me applying to OOS Texas schools? Also any tips on one's application that stands out? Thanks.
Houston accepts only a few out of state every year, most have Texas ties (family, etc.) I have yet to hear of any NY residents getting in, most are from Southern states (Arkansas, Florida, Alabama) or Utah. Not sure what would really help you stand out as an out of state applicant, sorry... Most public schools prefer their residents, just hope you have good gpa/dat I guess...

Do you know how many seats will still be available after the first round of acceptances on Dec. 2nd? How many more rounds of acceptances will there be? Just wondering what my chances are if I get an interview in Dec/Jan. Thanks!

Do you know how many seats will still be available after the first round of acceptances on Dec. 2nd? How many more rounds of acceptances will there be? Just wondering what my chances are if I get an interview in Dec/Jan. Thanks!
I believe Houston fills 50% of the class on Dec 1st from what I remember. Acceptances are rolling. Just keep updating the school with your application, I got my interview in January so you got time!

What is the attrition rate for students at UTH. What resources does the school have to help students academically. If a student fails a class how do they try and remedy the situation?

What is the attrition rate for students at UTH. What resources does the school have to help students academically. If a student fails a class how do they try and remedy the situation?

Also what do you see being the average amount of production a new grad could produce in a busy office? What have you heard from the grapevine?

What made you choose UTSD over other Texas schools that gave you offers when you were in the interview cycle? Knowing what you know now, what would make you consider an alternate path?

Attrition rate is around ~2 students per class (some classes more than others), most being held back due to not being able to pass boards. Very rarely will someone be held back due to clinic or doing poorly in a class. We have resources such as board prep classes, mock boards, etc. If you are open about your situation to the class, we're more than happy to help you, but if you tend to be quiet and keep to yourself about things you are struggling in, it won't help your situation.

Also what do you see being the average amount of production a new grad could produce in a busy office? What have you heard from the grapevine?
Not sure on production amount right now. It depends largely on where you practice and who you work for. You might have a huge production rate in corporate but might only get paid a fraction of what you would get if you made that same production in another office. I've heard most grads are very busy and have a normal average contract of ~500/day or 28-32%