Ask your chair to make a call for you?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by alicelinden, Dec 22, 2001.

1. alicelinden

alicelinden Junior Member

What do you guys think of this: Say that you are a medical student who thought she wanted to stay at her school (call it School B) for a competitive residency, hoping that she has a decent chance because she also goes to the medical school and the attendings know her well, etc. Now that she's started interviewing, she found another program (call it Program A) she likes very much, that is probably more competitive than her school. Now would it be inappropriate to ask her Program B chair to call the Program A chair to tell the Program A chair that the student really wants to go there?

Now remember, the student is thinking of ranking Program A first, and Program B second. So by asking Program B chair to call Program A, then aren't you shooting yourself in the foot, because now Program B probably won't rank you at all! And yet it would seem like asking too much to say "Chair B, could you call Program A telling them I want to go there, but could you also save me a spot on Program B in case Program A ends up not ranking me high enough." I mean, you can't have your cake and eat it too, right?

Or would it be better to ask your Dean of Students to call Program A? But the Dean probably has very little influence because that's not his specialty. Or should I not think about this any more?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alicelinden

alicelinden Junior Member

Here's another thought... would it be advisable to ask program directors at programs you're interested in to call the chariman of the department you're already a medical student at? Or would the program director do that anyways.