Asked to present at conference... how to add to CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catzzz88

Purrrrrr!?!11??
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a current MS1 student.

I recently presented my research at my university's Dermatology Symposium (pretty much an annual sub-specialized grand rounds that lasts half the day). It was invitation-only, so I didn't need to submit and get my research approved or anything like that (I had worked in the department for 3 years prior to starting med school). It was a 15 minute presentation. It was all derm residents presenting except for me...

My PI encouraged me afterwards to "add this to my CV," but I am not sure how to go about doing this. I don't feel like this is the same as a presentation at an actual conference because I did not need to get anything peer reviewed or approved.

Should I just add this to my Research/Presentations section? Another idea is to put it into an "Education Opportunities," "Lectures By Invitation," "Major Academic and Clinical Teaching," section ...etc. Or do I just leave it out altogether?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, you put it down under presentations with every other presentation. Use the same format you use for your national presentations, but simply put 'your U's derm symposium' where you would usually put 'academy of dermatology annual meeting' and the like.

Conferences are not usually peer reviewed either. They typically have an organizing committee who looks through submitted abstracts and selects a program, but they are not peer reviewing at all. Often things are rejected simply because they don't "fit" well enough with everything else even if they are very good scientifically.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh I see! Thanks very much, operaman! I appreciate your help!