Asking a prof for a LOR more than once

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plumhill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a professor that I'm on really good terms with, who has already written me a letter of rec for summer research programs this coming summer. Would it be awkward or annoying if I met with this professor again in April/May to ask for another LOR again for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the professor and your relationship with him/her. There's no rule that says a prof can only write you one letter. I had a prof who wrote me three different letters for things (god bless his soul).

I asked the same professor to write a LOR for med school 2 times in 3 years, and he completely rewrote it to include everything I did in-between the two. If you have a good relationship with the professor, I am sure he/she will not mind helping you to achieve your goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 if anything it might be a bit easier for him/her the second time around. I would ask and see how it goes.
It depends on the professor and your relationship with him/her. There's no rule that says a prof can only write you one letter. I had a prof who wrote me three different letters for things (god bless his soul).

I asked one of my professors for LORs 4 times. I told him the first time that I might ask him for his LOR again, and he said he would store it in a safe place. When I asked him again, he was never annoyed or anything by it.

Plus I asked my PI to write me a LOR a couple times and each time she wrote a new version.

Chances are he saved your old letters of rec. he would likely not have to do too much work to write you a new one! Ask him, you aren't troubling him or her at all

No it would not be awkward or annoying. I would definitely ask, especially if the first letter was good.