Asking a professor for multiple letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danny L

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to apply to some summer research programs, but the professors that could write me a letter are also the ones I want to ask for my med school apps.

Is it common to ask a professor for two distinct letters? Is there a best order to ask (ie internship letter then med school letter or the other way around)? How long should you wait after asking for one to ask for the other?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did this. I hate asking them multiple times so I feel you. I asked for research, medical school, then for MPH. Just tell them early and keep some form of communication with them. Keep a good relationship. Ask in the order you need them but give them a heads up that you will need a letter in the future for what ever your next move is. That way they will expect it when you ask.

If I were asked for letters multiple times I would not be bothered. I'd have to like someone in the first place to write the first letter anyway.

Plus - I'd probably just use the old letter with a line or two about recent work. Easy Peasy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also nervous about this, but 2 of my letter writers also wrote me LORs on 2-3 other occasions as well. They used similar letters and didn't mind at all. When asking for a letter within ~4 months of when I'd be asking for the med school letter, I specifically explained how I wanted to apply for summer research opportunities, but that my ultimate goal is med school, so if they only have the time or desire to write one, I'd much prefer the med school letter. Both agreed to do both.

However, I had a very strong relationship with both. I would not have asked so much of any of my other letter writers. If you also have a good relationship, I don't think you'll have any trouble

If I were asked for letters multiple times I would not be bothered. I'd have to like someone in the first place to write the first letter anyway.

Plus - I'd probably just use the old letter with a line or two about recent work. Easy Peasy.

Whenever I'm asked to write letters, I don't use the same ones if it's for completely different programs. I tend to emphasize different things. It's not such a good idea to use a research-oriented program letter for a medical school letter. I emphasize different qualities depending on what kind of letter/program the student wants and whether I think that student has those qualities. That said, I do not mind writing multiple letters for a student because if I'm asked to write one of them and agree, I likely already feel strongly about the student. But then again, I never really have much choice when it comes to writing letters.

Reactions: 1 user