Asking about employment at clinic I’ve been shadowing at

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vethopefultx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers

I am in need of some advice. I began shadowing at a small animal clinic about 1.5 months ago and I have been shadowing between 8-16 hours a week. I try to make myself useful by helping with cleaning, laundry, and restraining animals during procedures in addition to observing the doctors. A tech suggested to me that I ask the vet/practice manager about employment over the summer months if I wanted to stay in town (I’m an out of state college student). However, I have found myself in some financial troubles and I am looking for employment now. I already work in a lab at my university so if I started working another job I would likely have to stop shadowing. My question is, is it too forward or rude for me to ask about possible employment at the vet clinic where I currently shadow? They have a few other college students working part time as assistants and techs, and I would be able to put in 2 weekdays and most weekends of work. I am just worried that asking about a paid position will be seen as opportunistic or forward. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDNers

I am in need of some advice. I began shadowing at a small animal clinic about 1.5 months ago and I have been shadowing between 8-16 hours a week. I try to make myself useful by helping with cleaning, laundry, and restraining animals during procedures in addition to observing the doctors. A tech suggested to me that I ask the vet/practice manager about employment over the summer months if I wanted to stay in town (I’m an out of state college student). However, I have found myself in some financial troubles and I am looking for employment now. I already work in a lab at my university so if I started working another job I would likely have to stop shadowing. My question is, is it too forward or rude for me to ask about possible employment at the vet clinic where I currently shadow? They have a few other college students working part time as assistants and techs, and I would be able to put in 2 weekdays and most weekends of work. I am just worried that asking about a paid position will be seen as opportunistic or forward. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice!
I don't think it would be too forward. I think I would ask to have a sit down with the manager and say something like, "I love this opportunity you have provided me with. I want to continue to be able to shadow at this clinic and learn from your staff, however, due to financial constraints I need to secure part-time employment. I was wondering if you would be interested in taking me on as an assistant part-time so that I may continue to develop my skills and relationships in the veterinary field"

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it would be too forward. I think I would ask to have a sit down with the manager and say something like, "I love this opportunity you have provided me with. I want to continue to be able to shadow at this clinic and learn from your staff, however, due to financial constraints I need to secure part-time employment. I was wondering if you would be interested in taking me on as an assistant part-time so that I may continue to develop my skills and relationships in the veterinary field"
Plus, I am sure the full-timers will love you if you're willing to free them up from doing weekends!!

I don't think that's too forward at all, and honestly I worked even less than that when I was in undergrad. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to explain your situation and see if they would be willing to take you on as an assistant!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think it’s too forward to ask but just be sure remain positive and polite if the answer is no. Hopefully they’ll say yes, but if they do say no, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not happy having you around or want you as a member of the team. Maybe they just don’t have it in the budget or whatever.

Definitely not too forward! I think you could put it as you put it to us, but less apologetic - pull the practice manager or doctor aside, “Hey, I’ve been loving shadowing here, I’m so grateful for all of the learning I’ve been able to do! I wanted to ask, are you possibly hiring for veterinary assistants or kennel techs? I’m looking to pick up a second job, and I can commit to (x) hours (x) days per week. I’d love the chance to take on a little more responsibility with a formal position, if you guys would be willing to have me!” And as stated above, stay happy/bouncy/positive if they say no, and remember that it could truly be that they don’t have the money or are fully staffed right now!