Asking about $$$ for post-residency job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When looking for post-residency jobs, is it wrong to ask them for exact numbers on salary, compensation model, and exact numbers on bonuses (commencement, loan repayment, etc.) etc. before doing a site visit?

I ask because as a resident its obviously hard to get time-off for such visits (especially when they are across the country) and don't want to waste my time on underpaying opportunities.

I am planning on doing rural traditional (inpt and outpt)

Members don't see this ad.

When looking for post-residency jobs, is it wrong to ask them for exact numbers on salary, compensation model, and exact numbers on bonuses (commencement, loan repayment, etc.) etc. before doing a site visit?

I ask because as a resident its obviously hard to get time-off for such visits (especially when they are across the country) and don't want to waste my time on underpaying opportunities.

I am planning on doing rural traditional (inpt and outpt)

I did. I would not accept a position that pays less than $220,000 anywhere in the country. After the initial pleasantries, I asked upfront what’s the average salary. Everyone answered except one person. I didn’t even continue talking with that person.

You are the hot commodity now, not them. Remember this and act accordingly.

Reactions: 4 users
What other details should you ask about for a first hospitalist contract ?